1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

stop/tail light bulb wattage question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by CUtacomaTIGER, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Sep 29, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    CUtacomaTIGER

CUtacomaTIGER [OP] Unprofessional Driver

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '01 4X4 SR5 Chrome Stepside
    Black Wheels Tow Hitch w/4 Pin Weathertech Floor Mats Flowmaster Deck Plate Mod Window Tint Rear Diff Breather Mod Blacked out Badges Window Rain Guards Bed Liner
    1157 27/8 W is the bulb I need, but I was wondering why the wattage is 27/8. Whats the purpose of the backslash. Can you get bulbs rated at either 27 or 8 watts?

Or I was thinking when you hit the brake, the light draws 27 watts of power and while it's simply on it only draws 8 watts of power.

Also is it important to make sure it is a 12V bulb as well? I have a feeling 1157's are universal to these ratings.

2. Sep 29, 2011 at 11:55 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    The 1157 is a dual filament lamp. The 27 Watt part is for stop/turn and the 8 Watt part is for taillight.

If you buy an 1157 lamp, it's rated for 12 Volts nominal, 27/8 Watts. You don't need to worry that it's the wrong voltage.

Products Discussed in

To Top