1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DDM tuning HID install 1st gen-with pics

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Stout890, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Oct 13, 2011 at 11:52 PM
    Stout890

Stout890 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    ok so i got my ddm's today (took a month) >came on the slow boat from china and i decided to just slap em in....its fairly easy except for the first part on making the lights work with the rubber weather guard so i figured id give a short write up on it...camera died during the install so the wiring you all will not see pics for but its easy as shit...hardest part is finding locations to mount relay and ballast in locations that don't get in the way or drill screws through your windshield fluid reservoir on the passenger side ha ha any way here it is

basically you want to remove your battery because the new hid bulbs are longer than stock bulbs and there isn't room to maneuver around down there with out removing it, than pull your radiator reservoir and just move it aside. and than on the passenger side remove your air-box or for my case just my filter.
    hid 009.jpg
    hid 008.jpg

next you want to locate the two dash marks on your light and remove the reflector housing so that you can install the rubber weather guard without cutting it..
    hid 011.jpg

now twist it and than pull it apart..be carefull not to touch the bulb, any finger prints or oil will cause the bulb to crack once its heated up.hid 012.jpg
    hid 013.jpg

now once its apart you want to slide the weather gasket over the bulb housing being careful not to touch the bulb, or you can insert the reflector shield into the gasket...than assemble the bulb just like you had it
    hid 014.jpg
    hid 015.jpg
    do them one at a time so that you can refrence the other so that you do not install the shield upside down

once that is done you should have it looking like so..
    hid 016.jpg

now turn the weather guard inside out so that when its being installed into the housing the clips that hold the bulbs in place are not blocked by the rubber weather seal.
    hid 017.jpg

than insert and set the clip to secure the bulb
    hid 018.jpg

and than turn the weather guard back right-side out and seal the light into the housing and you should be good to go for the rest of your install
    hid 010.jpg

now this is where my camera neede to be charged lol
    but no worries becasue its easy..like every onesays just lay the harness out on your table or garage floor and look at the connections. it only connects one way.

when you run the harnes from drivers side to the passanger side. first check the length of your harness becasue i had barely enough to reach and could not mount my ballast in my first location.

i ran my harness over my radiator and fallowed a stock wiring harness and just zip tied it to that.

once you have figured out your locations make sure your drivers side ballast and relay are not near your radiator overflow bottle vent line, in case you one day get coolant all over your electronics.

than just secure them how you like. i paid the extra 20$ for the mounting brackets and im am not happy with them for what i paid...i could have fabbed my own out of a soup can better. the metal is .35 cents at best and they do not even hold well. i needed to use velcro as well. if you have not purchased your lights yet i say do not get the mounts.

now once everything is mounted plug it all in...zip tie it up, reinstall your battery and fire her up and see if you did a good job:D

now i was worried at first becsause they did not look bright but after letting them warm up they were nice looking. i do wish i had gotten the 55w though :rolleyes: oh well

wel there you go sorry about not having the wiring pics but like i said its easy as shit:poking:

and here is the end result. ther 6000k 35w
    hid 019.jpg
    hid 020.jpg
    hid 021.jpg

2. Oct 14, 2011 at 4:28 AM
    Joe02TRD

Joe02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Woodbridge, CT
    Vehicle:
    4cyl 5sp 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Nice write up and you'll be happy with the DDM kit. I've had them in multiple vehicles and my bike for years now with no issues. I just got the Tacoma and will be ordering a set for it soon!

3. Oct 2, 2013 at 2:27 AM
    grovestreet

grovestreet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks. I just placed my order with DDM. Hopefully shipping wouldn't take forever..

4. Nov 6, 2015 at 7:11 PM
    Swank171

Swank171 The only easy day was yesterday......

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 Tacoma 4cyl Automatic
    None YET
    Did you get the High/Low Beam kit? I want to buy the high/low beam kit 55w but have no Idea what size to "type" to order on the website. If anyone knows please share! My rig is a 2002 4cyl 4x4 taco

Products Discussed in

To Top