Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Lighting (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/)
-   -   A Retro Project for rhewins13 (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/183636-retro-project-rhewins13.html)

Muy Grande 10-21-2011 12:17 AM

A Retro Project for rhewins13
 
7 Attachment(s)
So I decided to post up a few pictures of Richards aka rhewins13 Morimoto Projector Headlights. As I understand it, rhewins13 is overseas battling the bad guys and like many of us he takes pride in his Tacoma. He asked me to custom make him a set of Retros that are Murdered out and feature the Halo Ring aka Angel Eyes. I'm hoping to complete his set in the next couple of days so that when he gets back to the states, they'll be ready for install. :D

This project features the following:

1. New Aftermarket Headlights (ebay)
2. Complete Stage III Morimoto Mini Projector kit (TRS) w/ Apollo Shrouds and 35w 6000k bulbs with Morimoto 3five Ballast
3. Halo Rings - 90mm for outside edge of Apollo Shrouds
4. Murdered Out (Black Surround, Black Bowls, Black Shrouds) - Krylon Fusion Satin Black Paint w/ Oven Bake

If you need tips on any of this, just PM me or post to the thread. More pics to come, including the Alignment, final assembly and water test.

MY50cal 10-21-2011 12:41 AM

Nice :thumbsup: Wish I could have come back to some Taco toys when I got back stateside... wait, I didnt have a Tacoma in 03-06 :p

rhewins13 10-21-2011 07:57 AM

looking good john, i cant wait to see these up close and in person

NYCO 10-21-2011 08:15 AM

painting newb question....why did you oven bake after painting? helps it dry faster or does that add an effect to the paint that can't be matched by air drying? :confused:

Pugga 10-21-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCO (Post 3901981)
painting newb question....why did you oven bake after painting? helps it dry faster or does that add an effect to the paint that can't be matched by air drying? :confused:

Helps smooth the paint, any overspray gets evened out and plus the baking helps prevent the 'off gassing' that can cause the lenses to fog afterwards. I did the same with my bezels when I painted them.

NYCO 10-21-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugga (Post 3901985)
Helps smooth the paint, any overspray gets evened out and plus the baking helps prevent the 'off gassing' that can cause the lenses to fog afterwards. I did the same with my bezels when I painted them.

right on....was just reading up on that and seems to be the common reason...i definitely will be doing this with my headlight retro-fit when it is time

another question...do you have any good tips on prepping the chrome pieces for paint?

Pugga 10-21-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCO (Post 3902007)
right on....was just reading up on that and seems to be the common reason...i definitely will be doing this with my headlight retro-fit when it is time

another question...do you have any good tips on prepping the chrome pieces for paint?

I just wiped them down with alcohol and a lint-free rag (t-shirts work), then hit it with Krylon Fusion. You could do a light sand step in there but there are so many little nooks and crannies on the bezels, you'll never sand all of it. My mentality was it's clean plastic, it's never been exposed to elements or anything that could chip it, so I just wiped it down and hit it with paint. Do very light coats and lots of them to build up the color.

BenJammn5 10-21-2011 08:32 AM

looks sick. Ive been thinking about blacking my retro out...

NYCO 10-21-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugga (Post 3902032)
I just wiped them down with alcohol and a lint-free rag (t-shirts work), then hit it with Krylon Fusion. You could do a light sand step in there but there are so many little nooks and crannies on the bezels, you'll never sand all of it. My mentality was it's clean plastic, it's never been exposed to elements or anything that could chip it, so I just wiped it down and hit it with paint. Do very light coats and lots of them to build up the color.

thanks man :thumbsup:



OP nice looking work btw! hopefully i can turn out a product like that

Muy Grande 10-21-2011 09:18 AM

Tips
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCO (Post 3902175)
thanks man :thumbsup:



OP nice looking work btw! hopefully i can turn out a product like that

Pugga is right on point with everything he stated. :D

Tips:
1. Pre-heat oven to 315
2. Turn down heat to warm when placing either the shrouds or bowls or surrounds in......I leave the shrouds in for 5 mins and the bowls and surround for 7 mins. I check the bowls and surround for bubbling of paint at 5 mins (you don't want the paint to bubble - known causes to hot or left in to long - believe me I know).

Important tip: Wait a few minutes aka let the painted pieces air dry a 3-5 minutes before putting them in the oven. If you put them in the oven right after you paint, you run the risk of having overspray bubble up. If this happens no big deal just wait till it drys and sand it down and hit it with some paint and try again.

Muy Grande 10-21-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenJammn5 (Post 3902056)
looks sick. Ive been thinking about blacking my retro out...

Yeah, I saw your post and voted - BlackOut! :D

Muy Grande 10-23-2011 12:33 AM

Update...Headlights Sealed.
 
7 Attachment(s)
Sealed up the lights today. (I already did the alignment, normally you don't seal them up until you get the alignment done......I post pics of the alignment, the Halos turned on, and the water test tomorrow night.) :D

Jerez 10-23-2011 12:41 AM

Where did u run the halo wires through?? I got the same ones that I'm still trying to figure where to run the wires through lol
Good job btw

rhewins13 10-23-2011 01:53 AM

looking good John, im really excited about these

TnRedNeck721 10-23-2011 02:04 AM

nice work! wanting to do the same thing. when i get the money.

BenJammn5 10-23-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muy Grande (Post 3909732)
Sealed up the lights today. (I already did the alignment, normally you don't seal them up until you get the alignment done......I post pics of the alignment, the Halos turned on, and the water test tomorrow night.) :D

Looks dope.

How did you align w/o aiming them on the truck? Did you light the halogen bulb inside the shield w/ jumper cables, see where the cut off is, tape on the cut off line, mark where shield is sitting and then put the projector in shield (now cut up) and line the projector cut off w/ the taped line on the wall? Hope that made sense... lol

I didn't do that. I basically drilled holes, eye balled that it should be aimed slightly down, put the light in the truck and adjusted the screws till I got it where it should be. I'll be sealing one headlight today :D

Muy Grande 10-23-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerez (Post 3909743)
Where did u run the halo wires through?? I got the same ones that I'm still trying to figure where to run the wires through lol
Good job btw

I ran them through the small hole that you run the projector wires thru.....there is enough space for 4 wires. Hope this helps somewhat. I'll try to post a pic of a bowl to show you.

Muy Grande 10-23-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenJammn5 (Post 3910196)
Looks dope.

How did you align w/o aiming them on the truck? Did you light the halogen bulb inside the shield w/ jumper cables, see where the cut off is, tape on the cut off line, mark where shield is sitting and then put the projector in shield (now cut up) and line the projector cut off w/ the taped line on the wall? Hope that made sense... lol

I didn't do that. I basically drilled holes, eye balled that it should be aimed slightly down, put the light in the truck and adjusted the screws till I got it where it should be. I'll be sealing one headlight today :D

It's a little different for the Morimoto Mini Projectors than the FX-R projectors but you basically have to re-install the headlights prior to sealing them up to check for the alignment. I did that with the set I'm making I just didn't take the pictures. And yes, I do an eyeball test but I also have a blank wall with tape that I use to make sure I like the alignment. :D

JustinL 10-23-2011 06:51 PM

Did you have to trim the insides of the shrouds? I assume you have to trim more for an FX-R kit

Jerez 10-23-2011 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muy Grande (Post 3912345)
I ran them through the small hole that you run the projector wires thru.....there is enough space for 4 wires. Hope this helps somewhat. I'll try to post a pic of a bowl to show you.

cool thanks man...im going to tackle mine this weekend :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 AM.