Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Lighting (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/)
-   -   LED in cup holders 01 (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/190021-led-cup-holders-01-a.html)

MatthewMay1 11-27-2011 05:34 PM

LED in cup holders 01
 
Has anybody put LEDs in the cup holders of their 2001 Tacoma? I really want to do it and what would be the cost for everything?

Blackshirts 11-27-2011 05:44 PM

It's not to hard to do and fairly inexpensive
I used these
http://www.oznium.com/prewired-surface-mount-led

Jerez 11-27-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackshirts (Post 4095979)
It's not to hard to do and fairly inexpensive
I used these
http://www.oznium.com/prewired-surface-mount-led

x2 on this ^^^...but i installed them onto a honda civic :spy:

MatthewMay1 11-27-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackshirts (Post 4095979)
It's not to hard to do and fairly inexpensive
I used these
http://www.oznium.com/prewired-surface-mount-led

Thanks. Those are tiny! Electricity is not my strength, so how would you wire them so they work with the rest of the cabin lights when the headlights are turned on?

Blackshirts 11-27-2011 06:02 PM

If you want them to turn on when the headlights and cabin light then splice into on of your cabin lights. I don't know if 1st gens have the light by the shifter. But that's what I used.

MatthewMay1 11-27-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackshirts (Post 4096091)
If you want them to turn on when the headlights and cabin light then splice into on of your cabin lights. I don't know if 1st gens have the light by the shifter. But that's what I used.

Okay. And they seem really bright. Are they excessively bright for driving at night? or does it just seem like that from the pictures

Blackshirts 11-27-2011 06:08 PM

They are bright. But they don't distract your vision.

I used two and it was SO bright if your gunna do the cup holder only do one. I moved mine under the dash for pilot lighting.

MatthewMay1 11-27-2011 06:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Was that what you were talking about for the cabin lights? And my cup holders are separate so I would have to do 2 if i wanted the lights in the holders

Blackshirts 11-27-2011 06:20 PM

All cabin lights that turn on with your head light are looped together. So fine a pair that are in the loop and tap into it. That's why I asked if there was a light by the shifter.

MatthewMay1 11-27-2011 06:21 PM

oooh. okay.

MatthewMay1 11-27-2011 06:22 PM

are the LEDs able to dim?

Blackshirts 11-27-2011 06:22 PM

Yes

MatthewMay1 11-27-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackshirts (Post 4096191)
Yes

So if you can dim them, they are still really bright?

Blackshirts 11-27-2011 06:25 PM

Yes they bright but remember if you dim them then your cluster also dims. Because your in the same circuit loop. If you wire them alone and put in a switch then they will not dim.

MatthewMay1 11-27-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackshirts (Post 4096210)
Yes they bright but remember if you dim them then your cluster also dims. Because your in the same circuit loop. If you wire them alone and put in a switch then they will not dim.

yeah i realize that, i dim the cluster pretty low when on country highways so i wouldn't want really a low cluster with really bright LEDs

MatthewMay1 11-27-2011 06:34 PM

And also, In the Tundra we have there is an LED in the bottom/back of the rear-view mirror that shines down over the dash/console area. Would these lights work there or again, do you think they would be too bright near the windshield?

Blackshirts 11-27-2011 06:54 PM

I think those on the tundra would be to bright. Any thing near the windshield would distract your vision.

MatthewMay1 11-27-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackshirts (Post 4096396)
I think those on the tundra would be to bright. Any thing near the windshield would distract your vision.

Okay. The tundra one is very very dim. but you can see where to put your cup at night!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 PM.