1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID question

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Nightmare4150, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:18 PM
    Nightmare4150

Nightmare4150 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    okay. so I went to an truck shop to get the HID kit put it my lights. Ive got aftermarket lights there the angel/halo eyes. (there junk I know). So the plan was to put HID lights in them. so 2 weeks ago the guy at the shop charged me $200 for the H1 bulbs and harness and labor etc. he just called back saying he has the H1 bulbs. but they dont make the harness anymore or they cant get it. So now he wants to charge me another $300 to "make" me a harness or I can buy one. I kinda have a feeling im being screwed. or is there another way to do this?

2. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Sounds like you are getting screwed. Most on here recomend doing a retrofit where you would mount the whole projector assembly in your existing lens. I would think that would be your best bet since it sounds like you could spend the money to do so. If you are just looking for a plug and play setup though check out hidextra.com, ddm tuning, or slim cubby in the vendor section on here. I just ordered a set from hidextra but I have heard nothing but the best from slim cubby. I'm sure others will post a good source for a retrofit but if you search it something will come up.

3. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Ripoff - Bail!

4. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    ^^^^ RUN!!!

but seriously.. dude a harness from www.retrofitsource.com is no more than $35... with $300 you can buy a proper projector kit and retrofit one yourself! as for slimcubbys, i had his kit and it worked wonders for me. as for DDM tuning, i heard it works but when you get that bad one or contact customer service, the customer service is where it fails.

There are some good threads here on how to complete a retrofit... or if you rather not do a retrofit and purchase one already done, see my sig ;)

5. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:32 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    DDM Tuning or Slimcubby. I've got a pair of Slim Cubby HID's and paid $120 for the ballasts, bulbs and wiring harness. That being said, you're getting screwed by that shop, I hope he used vaseline.

The retrofit mentioned above is by far the best light output you can get. You can get the parts for a retrofit from Theretrofitsource.com and put projectors in your stock housings or pay a member here to do it for you.

6. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    Nightmare4150

Nightmare4150 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Savannah, GA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    thanks for the input guys. but my lights use two different bulbs for hi/lo. im thinking about the retro thing but i cant drop $400 atm. i think i might just go back to the stock lights and get the HID kit and call it a day.

7. Nov 29, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    i know a full FX-r stage III kit costs no more than $300... and thats shipped and with the butyl!

or for an even easier retro fit, go for the mini's !!!! they are cheaper in price but you still have great quality (way way better than stock or even your aftermarket halo ones)

Please dont put HIDs in a halgoen based headlight and call it a day...

check out the group buy below... the code for 25% should still work ...but you need to act fast because it only usually lasts 1 week.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gr...buy-25-off-lets-see-list-thanks-matt-trs.html

Products Discussed in

To Top