1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrading '98 Headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Madjik_Man, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Dec 11, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man [OP] The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    So I've been trying to search for options to upgrade my '98 headlights.... light output is all I care about really, but I'm coming across 30 pages of threads that I haven't found to be pertaining to my question.

I see a similar thread, below, of a guy asking about upgrading his '96 so I figured I'd ask the same about my '98.

The lens on my headlights are yellowed. I restored them last year but without using a clear coat finish they're pretty much back to yellow. The light output on low beam is very weak.

So I was thinking about just replacing the assembly (is that the term for the lens/projector/etc?) and using stock wattage bulbs. I hear those Sylvania Silverstar bulbs burn out very quickly... but I don't have any experience with them

I do not want to go HID. I do not really want to start using anything but stock wattage bulbs and having them burn out too often.

Things I've found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/121139-Toyota...XCQS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1323616728&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Headli...ps-Paasen/dp/B002MF2AKO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_6

Would simply switching out the assembly and using stock wattage bulbs make all the difference?

Does anyone have recommendations for a specific assembly and bulb?

2. Dec 11, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    meatman

meatman I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    (built) 04 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and 01 TRD 4x4 DD
    new housings will make a diffrence in light output if yours are that bad. but if you dont limit yourself to stock bulbs the ammount of light could be increased. Im running slims 35 watt hids and could not be happier so much more light on the road now

3. Dec 11, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    Forgive me, I'm not that savvy but if you're running 35 watt HIDs that means you did the whole conversion, etc...?

I'm looking to keep it simple (and cheaper). Like new housings/assemblies and new bulbs.

4. Dec 11, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
  5. Dec 11, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    I remember reading your build and was trying to remember which member it was.

You have those JDM assemblies I linked, correct?

How do you like the light output on lowbeams?

What bulbs are you running?

Anything you'd do differently?

6. Dec 11, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    I want to do the 96-97 front end swap.

I love the look of your blacked out truck, but I think blacked out housings on my truck would look awkward next to the factory corners, etc...

Will probably just go with the crystal clear housings.

7. Dec 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    if i where you i would do one of two things first off get new housings tyc brand or depo brand or oem thats it most others are completel shit and have a much higher chance of having problems. then put in some nice factory wattage bulbs. it is what it is when it comes to halogen.

here is a link to help out with bulb choices.
    http://www.clearcorners.com/tech/001/

or do a retrofit with your new housings.

a trs branded set up will be extremely bright and far more reliable than any halogen bulb.

hd wiring harness trs.
    mini H1 sourced and color modded from either customlightz.com or lightwerkz.com
    4300k or 5k bulbs trs brand. any other kelvin rating and you lose light.
    pick a shroud of your choice there are many to chose from.
    and if you want any custom painting pick your paint take your time or have a professional do the work for you the mini H1 is a very good projector! and has a huge wide colorful cut off and light pattern stick with 35 watts and both your low and high beams will draw less power while returning way more light.
    from a lighting stand point the performance of a good projector and quality xenon set-up will destroy any halogen bulb not requiring you to run a harness and even then "competion" halogens have a dramatically shorter life span.

this is a trade off between money time lighting performance and skill.

8. Dec 11, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I've driven a 98 at night and the headlights sucked. They were not yellowed out or anything and looked just fine visually, but the light output sucked.

I had an 04 as a company truck for a few years. The light output was okay, but not anywhere near as good as my 06 is.

I don't know what it takes to swap from 98 front end to 95-97 style, but the hoods look the same, maybe it's just the grille? If it's relatively easy, i'd do that and then buy some Hella light housings like we were talking about in the other thread. Anything short of HID and the hella H4 housings are the way to go.

Products Discussed in

To Top