1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID Questions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by SilverTacoEater, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:38 AM
    SilverTacoEater

SilverTacoEater [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    Hey guys,
    I got a little bit of over time the past couple weeks and I'm looking to blow a little bit of money. :D

I decided i wanted to upgrade my lights and get some HID's. I started doing a little bit of reading in here and I realized there's a lot more to this HID thing then just throwing a set in. :eek:

I just wanted to make sure that i understand what I'm reading so far. In order to do a proper HID conversion I can't just throw in any old set of HID's. I need to look into either getting a set of projector headlights or doing a retro fit on my stock headlights? :confused:

If i wanted to go the route of a retrofit I need to get the following items: shroud (reflecting lense), HID's (recommendations?) and projector?

If i were to go the route of doing a retrofit where would i pick up the shroud and projector? Are there different types of projector that produce different light layout?

Thanks for the help guys :D

2. Dec 18, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    SilverTacoEater

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    I'm not one to do things half
    Assed. :cool:
    I like the white, but I do like a tinge oh blue. I think 6000k is a little too blue for me. Is there anything in between that and 4300k? How would high beam work if I put HIDs in?

3. Dec 18, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:

4. Dec 18, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    I bet brockolli meant 4300k or 5k

5. Dec 18, 2011 at 10:29 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    go for the mini H1 projector man.

the differences between the d2s mini and the H1 are pretty big. the d2s has a narrow beam and almost no color in the cutoff which leads to a decrease in performance lighting street signs and reflectors and from others point of view their is no color flicker.

the H1 on the other hand has a beam that just about equal to the fx-r meaning it will light up around 5 lanes across on the highway has a beautiful color flicker and a nice ribbon of purple and blue on the cutoff basically one is imo the best over all value in 35 watt systems to be had and the other is not even considered.

color temp 4300 or 5k thats it any if you go any higher on the kelvin scale your eyes will not be able to pick up the light. the hotter the salts burn the less light.

shroud is your choice but imo in our headlights the reflector bowl has a lot of surface area and the ones that do the best job of covering that up are the ones that have the largest base area in mm. the apollo shroud does a good job as does the mcr thats what i'm running currently and it fills the bowl almost completely it will look better imo.

the gatling is a little smaller but has a great look to it thats kind of hard to beat.

like i was saying the mini H1 and trs 35 watt ballast and their 5k bulbs will be a nice set-up. the only reason to step up to the fx-r is if you want to run 55 watt ballast other than that the H1's got my vote.

6. Dec 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    DDMTuning.com

Best HID kit for your money. Plus lifetime warranty on everything.

7. Dec 18, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    So if you put a projector retrofit into our existing headlights, does that mean the reflector is just there for looks now?

8. Dec 18, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Having tested several bulbs, 4300 to 5000ºK is the right place for the most light. Higher is too blue and lower is too yellow.

Cheap, Chinese bulbs also can not be consistant in color as well as flicker.

9. Dec 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    SilverTacoEater

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    So i follow you for the most part but i'm a little confused about the shroud. Are you saying that the stock shroud is good with the H1 projectors? How much of a difference does an Apollo or mcr shroud make over the stock one?

Edit: also does Shroud = reflector?

10. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    the shrouds that you will be buying from trs. they have a bunch of designs i was just relaying my opinion on which ones happen to look best thats all. the larger diameter base of certain models of shroud fill the reflector bowl better than others thats all. its really which ever one you like best design wise.

sounds like you all set to have a really nice setup. trs also sells oci butyl rubber which i have heard some very good things about might want to look into that as well.

11. Dec 19, 2011 at 5:47 AM
    SilverTacoEater

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    Thanks for the help guys. Those sites have been really helpful. I'm working on putting together a nice setup. I'll post it up on here and see what you guys think once i get this all figured out. :cool:

12. Dec 19, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    their butyl is great ;)

i have like 3 packages of those :p

13. Dec 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    oci butyl rubber?

i personally never used it i always went with the 3m stuff but, i was thinking of giving it a shot. i have a brand new set of mini d2s that i was going to put together and sell.

Products Discussed in

To Top