1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Morimoto Mini's Melting...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jeverich, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Installed a Morimoto Mini 55w kit from the TRS group buy last May. Excellent light output, relatively easy install - went well. I was impressed.

Noticed a drastic drop in the cutoff sharpness and light output of my Driver's side projector a few weeks ago. Disassembled the light last night - only to find that the chrome plating on the projector bowl of the Morimotos was burned and peeling...resulting in poor light output.

After doing some research, apparently TRS no longer advises customers run 55w ballasts/bulbs with Morimoto Mini's. They do not have enough surface area to effectively dissipate the higher heat output.

Going to call TRS tomorrow and see what I can work out.

Oh, and the lock nut for the bulb is frozen on the back as well - making it impossible to remove the bulb.

Not whining at all - TRS has great service and support, and I am sure that we will be able to work something out. When you consider the fact that by doing a retro, you are essentially negating years of engineering and R&D by Toyota. Hiccups are to be expected.

Will keep everyone updated.

2. Jan 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    This is a common problem running 55w in minis. TRS will probably help you out and then some.

3. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    Eternal24k

Eternal24k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 V6 4x4
    good to know, I wish there was a popup or notice if you select the 55 when configuring the kit

4. Jan 30, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Yes, contacted Nate this morning.

The issue of melting reflectors arose after I purchased my retro kit last April, therefore TRS was not aware of the issue at the time of my purchase.

Still up in the air with regards to what wattage to run...

Seems as though even with the FX-R Projectors, with more surface area to dissipate heat - there is still a risk of burning the bowls at 55W.

Switching to 35W will require new ballasts, bulbs, etc...

Products Discussed in

To Top