1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another wiring question for cab switch

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Av8er, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Sep 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    Av8er

Av8er [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Formaly Houston, now Tampa, FL.
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner SR5/TRD DC, LB, w/ Tow
    Hey guru's,

I'm going with the Contura V (please see pics below) sealed rocker switch with the laser etching "bed lights". Like the clean look of it. It's the double lighted kind so from what I can tell and please correct me if I'm wrong:

The upper led light (bed light symbol) will turn on only when keys in ignition and all other cab lights on (assuming I tap into a preexisting acc. wire in the cab right?) and the bottom "indicator light will turn "on" only when I have the switch flipped and am using the bed lights.

So that's an upper led light independently wired (power & grounded) and a lower "indicator" led light which is also independently wired (power and ground) only lit when in use.

My question is this: If I want to be able to run the lights in the bed, say for tailgating, with the truck off, then the lower portion (which will supply the led light strip) will be wired (with an inline fuse) from the battery so that it gets power when ever I call for it (ie. switch is flipped) however the general light (upper) will only be lit with the accessories on via an independent powered source (ie. tapping into an accessory wire somewhere). Do I have this correct? I mainly just want to confirm I can still run the lights in the back with the damn truck off once wired up. lol. (This all assumes I understand the contura V's 5-pin description)

Tks guys-

Basically these:

Amber with red indicators:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sep 7, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Correct

3. Sep 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    You wouldn't have to run separate add a circuit for each switch either, you could daisy chain them off one 5, 10, or 15 amp fuse as they are only 1.5 watt LEDs. Same goes for the ground.

4. Sep 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Whenever I try to make stuff work with ignition off, even if there are no indicator lights in my switch unless on, it usually works. But then my truck is dead an hour later. So I just make everything work with ignition only because it pisses me off lol.

5. Sep 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Great, thanks Large!! I literally made myself stupider while attempting to become smarter. ;) Got a little jumbled but it makes sense as I put together my parts list. Just wanted to make sure I could run em' with the acc.'s off if need be.

6. Sep 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Now that 's funny. Yea it would be rare to run them with everything off but I need to know just in case, that I can. ;) Might even go with an upgraded, heavier duty battery at some point. Plan to do a lot of truck camping and outdoor adventures once it cools down. Not to mention tailgating.

7. Sep 8, 2012 at 12:23 AM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    will you be doing a write up on this? interested on putting lights on my bed also

8. Sep 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Yeah I think I am going to be upgrading my battery soon as well. It's about time it got replaced anyway. Where did you buy your switches from?

9. Sep 8, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Got mine here:
    http://www.otrattw.com/products.php?cat=34

Plenty to choose from at good prices. I went with the "bed lights" option. "V1D1FNTB- SPST OFF/ON- Amber upper, daylight bright red lower LED"

[​IMG]

I'll show pics once it's installed. ;)

10. Sep 8, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    yea I could do a write up. although I've learned everything I need from other write up's and info from TW members. ;) There are a ton of bed lights write ups but they are all slightly different in style and approach. I'll do a write up on my particular strategy and setup once complete. May be a few weeks though. ;)

11. Sep 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    BBYE V8

BBYE V8 Please keep TW beautiful: search & stay on topic

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    StL, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4 2.7 5sp SR5
    Hey, nice pictures! ;)

Got your PM and I think I fully understand what you want. I think you already know how to wire everything except the LED inside the switch that illuminates the "Bed Lights" text & icon on the upper half of the switch. But just to be sure I'll cover all the wires...that might even help you with any write up you do.

First of all, my advice only applies to OTRATTW switches that come with the wiring diagram that looks like this (ignore the little hand drawn diagram in the photo):

[​IMG]

Pin #3 to your bed lights (or relay that powers the bed lights) positive terminal.

Pin #6 goes to ground, any ground, that is close and reliable. I do not remember exactly where I ran my grounds to, but it was some bolt near the switches & fuse panel.

Pin #2 goes to your FUSED power source; for your purpose you want a full time power supply so the battery is a good choice.

Pins #7 and #8 are for the upper LED inside the switch, and is your original question. In my opinion, you paid good money to have switches that look as good as factory ones, so you might as well go through the trouble of making them operate as good as factory ones. That means tapping into the dimmer controlled light circuit for the dashboard. Using that circuit will make your new switches illuminate when your parking lights are on and dim when you dim the dash lights. In my truck it was very easy since I had an unused plug behind the dash (I believe it is for fog lights); I used the top two pins of the plug pictured below:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the out of focus picture. I've forgotten which pins of this plug is positive and which is negative; but that is easy to figure out with a voltage tester, test light or maybe someone else will chime in. I believe the top one is positive the second is negative, but I'm just not sure of myself. You need to tap both the negative and positive from this plug for pins #7 & 8. Do NOT use a ground for the negative. If your truck uses this plug you will have to tap the wires or back probe them. If yours does not use the plug you can do something like I did with two blade connectors:
    [​IMG]

I hope what I've written & pictured so far makes sense and helps you out. When installing new accessories and switches there are other sources of power. Since I wanted my rear lights, fog lights and HID lights to turn off if the parking lights turned off, I tapped a headlight circuit:
    [​IMG]

But if you wanted the accessory to turn off whenever the ignition is off you could tap into:
    [​IMG]

I would only use these circuits to power a relay, not to power the accessory itself.

12. Sep 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    thanks bro:D

13. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    BBYE V8, I can't thank you enough for the great information. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain your strategy to me and help me with my set up.

Looking forward to this project! Got my lights and switch ordered so once they arrive I'll get on it. ;)

14. Sep 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    No problem, I'll let ya know or post here once I do the project. Hopefully we'll both be up and running soon with bed lights!

15. Sep 9, 2012 at 6:22 PM
    BBYE V8

BBYE V8 Please keep TW beautiful: search & stay on topic

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    StL, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4 2.7 5sp SR5
    You're welcome! I hope it goes well. It sounds like you already knew what to do, but just wanted confirmation.

16. Sep 10, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:
    Had most of it down but still had just a few loose end type questions to work out. Thanks again!

17. Dec 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    Av8er

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top