1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New LED way to bright...resistor?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by fyremanpat, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Dec 28, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    fyremanpat

fyremanpat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC LB TRD Sport w/Entune
    OME 886x and 5100's all the way around. Toytec AAL. Phillips x-treme vision headlights. 886 reverse lights. Borla exhaust. 20% tint. Hi 6 mod. 285/65/18 Nitto TG on 18" Moto Metal 955's. Airaid intake. Scanguage2.JBA LT's.GC Grill..more to come.
    I finally ordered a single small LED to light up the cup holder/storage area.

[​IMG]

The LED has about 4" of ribbon that attaches to the actual LED which I ran through the hole (in red)

[​IMG]

now its WAY too bright..and the pic really doesnt do it justice. My question is will a resistor in-line dim it enough to some what match the dash lights? If so what size/rating?

[​IMG]

2. Dec 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    fyremanpat

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    OME 886x and 5100's all the way around. Toytec AAL. Phillips x-treme vision headlights. 886 reverse lights. Borla exhaust. 20% tint. Hi 6 mod. 285/65/18 Nitto TG on 18" Moto Metal 955's. Airaid intake. Scanguage2.JBA LT's.GC Grill..more to come.
    bump...

3. Dec 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    Btnewman

Btnewman Benjamin Newman

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Grand Junction co
    Vehicle:
    Uh. It's beat to he//. But it's only 1 owner.
    Custom body work/damage ARB rear locker Bumpers Shocks Other parts Tires and Rims Air tank fully plumbed into truck "Golf ball mod"
    what are your specs on your led? such as voltage and current rating?
    also look up dc constant current regulators, you can typically find them for 3-5 dollars and some of them are fully adjustable so you can turn a dial and adjust how bright they are.

http://www.prodctodc.com/dc-to-dc-7...ed-driver-power-supply-p-57.html#.UN5jF3fwmSo

something like this, their only draw back is that they ship from china, I am sure you can find a good u.s. dealer if you want it any sooner than about a week and a half

4. Dec 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    yes a small knob for variable resistance will work great (dimming)
    get a cheapo multipack from radioshack and test which works best
    (caveman method)

or figure it out here http://bit.ly/ZHZmK9 :p

5. Dec 29, 2012 at 3:38 AM
    fyremanpat

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
  6. Dec 29, 2012 at 3:59 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Don't do that! Trust me, you'll fry your dimmer switch and its like $100 from the dealer.

If its too bright and you don't want to add a dimmer, then yes, a resistor will work. BUT, it will get very very hot and unless you have a secure place to put it (which really is nowhere down there, ESPECIALLY with your SRS module right there) then I recommend against this method.

You bought an SMD led. Also referred to as SMT depending on the led. That led is designed to be super bright. Its part of the technology. Notice how its flat, square shaped, and appears yellow... that means its bright! You need a regular simple let like this:

[​IMG]

LEDs are so cheap, I recommend skipping all the hassle of trying to make it less bright when you can spend less than $1 and just get the correct led. Trust me, don't thr to get fancy... your stock dimming circuit is very sensitive and you run an EXTREMELY high risk of blowing out your entire dashboard lighting if you do it your way! Trust me, I've seen I happen :eek:

7. Dec 29, 2012 at 4:06 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i would put it on a switch. thats my plain. i plain on adding a small LED to each cup holder and the small storage in front of them, they will all be green or red and on a switch.

edit: that way you can just turn it off. and than turn it on if you want it on.

8. Dec 29, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    markc6606

markc6606 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoFlo
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Dec 29, 2012 at 4:27 AM
    markc6606

markc6606 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoFlo
    Vehicle:
    '13 Off-Road
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  10. Dec 29, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    fyremanpat

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    I knew the one i ordered was gonna be bright but i didn't realize just how bright. Also the ear of installation was a big factor too. I would like to go with a much dimmer led like the one pictured. is there a flush mount one like it?

11. Dec 29, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    MHS2846bg8

MHS2846bg8 Experienced Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    21 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Dbl Cab 4x4
    4WP Factory Front Bumper w/Warn VR EVO 10-S Winch, AuxBeam 8-Switch Controller, Redarc Trailer Brake Controller, ARE CX-Evolve Cap, Bedrug Liner, Ditch Pod Lights, Aftermarket LED (OEM) Bed Lights, Console Vault
    ^^^ This! Gotta love the K.I.S.S. method!

12. Dec 29, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Ultimately the advice to use a dimmer LED is the best advice. To answer your question, yes, you could add a resistor in series (in line with the positive or negative lead) if there is only an LED in the circuit. To drop the brightness, you may need a 220 Ohm, or even upto 470 Ohm. This will drop the available voltage by 3V (220 Ohm) and may begin to lower the current to the LED.

however,
    The specs for the LED state a 9-15VDC range. This means they may have included a Current controlled device with the LED. Its job is to maintain the 15mA current the LED needs, regardless of the input voltage. In that case a resistor may still work, but you would need to drop the voltage below 9V, outside of the operating range of the current control. You'll have to experiment with resistor values, starting with 220 Ohm, and work your way higher until the LED dims, or shuts off.

The LED should light with as little as half of its intended current drive (7mA) and produce much less light. A resistor power rating of 1/4Watt will be fine.

13. Dec 29, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    fyremanpat

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    Also both ebay links are bad. So just run the resistor in-line right? Is it going to get hot enough to where I have to be concerned about melting anything?...thanks again man!

14. Dec 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    The inline resistor will not get hot enough to start any fires or melt anything.
    The calculations are:

15mA LED current (max) = .015A
    .015 Amps * 220 Ohm resistor = 3.3Volt (drop)
    Power = .015A * .015A * 220Ohm = .0495 Watts (1/4Watt resistor = .250 Watt)

As a comparison your turn signal filament bulb is something like 20Watts, most of it as heat!

15. Dec 30, 2012 at 4:58 AM
    fyremanpat

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:

You are awesome. Thank you.

16. Dec 30, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    fyremanpat

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    Ended up having to go with a 2.2k ohm resistor. It's so much better now.thank you again.

17. Dec 31, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    good to hear it worked out for you Pat! Thanks for the reply.

Products Discussed in

To Top