1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OTRATTW switches

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Spicy taco, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Jan 9, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    Spicy taco

Spicy taco [OP] Master of All Things Groovy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cleveland, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner DCLB, 04 4Runner, 94 4Runner
    BHLM, Self made Satoshi, T-Rex Eyelids, Bull bar, behind the grill light bar (also home made), textured black badges, fiberglass camper, Spectre CAI, Banks Monster cat-back, Eclipse AVN 62D, LED bed lights, external fuse block, OTRATTW switches, THULE MOAB roof rack, rock lights, Tech Deck, Polk Audio speaks, sub coming soon.....
    Here's a dumb question. I've seen a lot of pics and references to the OTRATTW switches, but I haven't seen one pic where they were mounted in the factory switch openings. Does anyone know if they'll fit? I need to order some but I want to make sure before I take the plunge.

Thanks in advance!

2. Jan 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    The factory holes need trimming for the Carling switches to fit. You can see the trimming here.

IMG_8057_1a64742de762c048772fdd0b25227534bb23b45e.jpg

IMG_7683_bbbca2dffb7ed9aceb320dfdec672f301149dadf.jpg

3. Jan 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    The trimming is very minor. Super easy to do

4. Jan 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    [​IMG]

The opening on the face of the dash is large enough, but each slot is made specifically to accept a certain OEM switch. A couple minutes with a dremel tool, and the switches fit in there very nicely! You aren't grinding anything on the face of the dash, just the returns so shave off the nubs that make that location specific to a Toyota switch (I hope that makes sense).

5. Jan 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    Spicy taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cleveland, TN
    Vehicle:
    BHLM, Self made Satoshi, T-Rex Eyelids, Bull bar, behind the grill light bar (also home made), textured black badges, fiberglass camper, Spectre CAI, Banks Monster cat-back, Eclipse AVN 62D, LED bed lights, external fuse block, OTRATTW switches, THULE MOAB roof rack, rock lights, Tech Deck, Polk Audio speaks, sub coming soon.....
    Outstanding! Thanks to all 3 of you. I figured there would be some trimming but I just didn't want them to overlap the opening and look "home made" lke a lot of the cheap aftermarkets. But I also didn't want to spend $50+ per switch from Toyota either!!

Thanks again guys!

6. Jan 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    just dont do what i did. i was trimming for my first switch...and i may have gotten just a hair carried away. the switch wouldnt stay put in the opening at the bottom. luckily, if you wrap one or 2 layers of electrical tape around the switch it will make up that difference easily and the switch will stay put.

7. Jan 9, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    Spicy taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cleveland, TN
    Vehicle:
    I've been known to "over adjust" things before too. I did car stereo installation for several years and nothing makes you madder than 1/16 of an inch!!:cool:

8. Jan 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    claymore

claymore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    ABQ New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2012 Offroad
    TRD cat back exhaust, console vault(for my little friend),Pop and Lock, Bak Flip G2, Weather Tech window covers, LED inside and out, DTRL Anytime, Grillcraft Grill, BAMF Light Bar with Hella 500s and Blitzpro 15D, Eibach with 5100's all around set at .85 and top plate spacers, LR UCA's, toytec 2" add a leaf, Duratrack 285 75 16, ABS kill switch, Aux reverse lights, Blue Sea Aux fuse block, ImMrYo Bracket, LED Bedlights, Ultra Gauge,
    Minor trimming
    [​IMG]

9. Jan 10, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    Spicy taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cleveland, TN
    Vehicle:
    I ordered them last night. I wound up with the ones labeled for what they are. I needed 4 and couldn't make up my mind on the "novelty" ones so I went with the plain ones. No one sees them on the left of the steering wheel besides me anyway. Yours look nice though.

10. Jan 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    Spicy taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cleveland, TN
    Vehicle:
    Switches came in Saturday, installed them Saturday night. I hate to keep sucking knowledge out of everybody and not contributing anything, but I have another question. For the switched power lead to the switches I'm planning to add a fuse tap. My question in this...can I tap one fuse and illuminate all 3 switches, then out from there to the individual relays, or do I need to tap a different fuse for each switch? I'm using a Bluesea fuse block under the hood with a 100A CB between it and the battery.

For the record, I've been doing vehicle wiring for 20 plus years including 5 years as a car stereo installer, but that was more years ago than I like to remember and I've been struck stupid LOL! It's amazing how quickly things leave you when you don't use them everyday!

Here's a pic of the switches and thanks to all those who posted last time.

BTW, the truck and the dash are right-side up in reality. I don't know why all my pics are upside-down when I post them. Must be a built-in feature from Apple.

switches.jpg

11. Jan 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    I ran mine with two serperate power sources, one for illumination that comes from a source that goes on with the lights, and a seperate always powered for the relay feed. You will be fine running all three off the same source for either one.

12. Jan 14, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    Spicy taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cleveland, TN
    Vehicle:
    Thank you sir!! I thought that was right but it's been a while.

13. Jan 14, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    JWaldz

JWaldz It puts the Joe Dirt in the hole

Member:
    First Name:
    Waldo
    Colo Springs
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner LTD
    quit being wimps and do MOAR TRIMMING! :D

EF43B209-D19B-43FA-BBBC-F4BA55B9BA43-242_a8aee89fa80001d91fbfb3cdf3d02ff691beb33e.jpg

techbill likes this.
  14. Feb 2, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    BBYE V8

BBYE V8 Please keep TW beautiful: search & stay on topic

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    StL, MO
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 4x4 2.7 5sp SR5
    You couldn't find one pic? ;)

I got a thread:
    OTRATTW swithc install
    I hope it helps.

15. Feb 3, 2013 at 4:51 AM
    Spicy taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cleveland, TN
    Vehicle:
    Sorry guys. I got really busy at work then came down with pneumonia. I'll get some pics up later today.

16. Feb 3, 2013 at 5:12 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    [​IMG]

Hppe this helps. Had to do a bit of trimming. tHey fit snug thats for sure. Haha

17. Feb 3, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    DirtJumper14

DirtJumper14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    5100's, BDF grills and light bracket, big 3 upgrade, ATH bed braces, snugtop xtra vision shell, (bed, shell, hood, rock, front, rear, footwell, glove box, center console led lighting), MESO Gasshole, MESO dome and map lights, Flyeyez center console light, custom fuse panel, TRD CAI, toyota bed mat, 2013 black carpet, 2015 side mirrors, BedRug, AJT key fob, ultraguage, 8 cadillac horns acdf, pop n lock tailgate lock, energy suspension bushings, spicer greasable ujoints, Rigid lights everywhere, kenwood stereo, led tube taillights (red), 2018 T4R trail wheels, rokblok mud flaps, TRD skid plate, RCi gas tank skid plate
    Here are mine
    IMAG0134_1cdb4189190f02df20839f759100f549c8da566a.jpg

18. Feb 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    Spicy taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cleveland, TN
    Vehicle:
    Okay here's a pic finally. They turned out great!

image.jpg

19. Feb 3, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    Spicy taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cleveland, TN
    Vehicle:
    I also made me mounting plate for the external fuse block so if it ever warms up again I'm ready to wire them up.

image.jpg

20. Feb 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    looks great

Products Discussed in