Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Lighting (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/)
-   -   help replaced Factory fog light switch with Contura (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/269709-help-replaced-factory-fog-light-switch-contura.html)

Hoozel 03-23-2013 06:37 PM

help replaced Factory fog light switch with Contura

i replaced the factory Fog Light switch with a lit Contura that has the on indicator as well. I got all of the other switches to light up when switched on.... but the factory fog light switch won't light up with 'on' indicator. I didnt replace any wiring from the factory fog switch, just added what was needed for dash dimmer etc. Wired it the same as all the other switches, it just wont light up when on. Lights up fine with dash lights.

i checked the ground its good, its not jumpered off the dash light ground feed. I can't figure out why it won't light up when flipped on.

DevL 03-24-2013 10:35 AM

Have you wired it up away from the dash wiring to make sure the bulb is good? It is just an incandescent indicator and might be damaged.

KeithB 03-30-2013 04:49 AM

I plan to do the same, just ordered my switches. Keep us updated on the outcome. Do you have any pictures? How many wires on the factory switch?

Hoozel 03-30-2013 03:28 PM

I will try to get some pics. I never took any as i went. basically just cut the stock wires and put new connectors on. Ran a separate ground off of a good spot nearby, I just tapped into the green white i think that was nearby from another switch harness and ran that for all my new Contura switches so they dim with dash lights when Headlights on.

Hoozel 03-30-2013 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed

Hoozel 03-30-2013 03:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Out with the Old....

Btw... Black Diamond Fab Grill, and BAMF bracket (very sweet design)

Rich91710 03-30-2013 03:40 PM

The switch indication is an LED. The switch design is not compatible with the factory fog light wiring, which is ground-true switched.

Hoozel 03-30-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich91710 (Post 6669407)
The switch indication is an LED. The switch design is not compatible with the factory fog light wiring, which is ground-true switched.

Thanks ! ya i figured it would have something to do with factory wiring. So if i wired a new ground to the switch would it still work off dash lights ? I basically just attached the factory foglight wires to this new switch....

Rich91710 03-30-2013 04:48 PM

No.

Someone was trying to make this work a few weeks ago and he tried a few dead-ends. Nothing worked.

The problem is, on the factory system, the hot is applied to the relay coil under the hood, and the switch provides a ground for it. The indicator light needs to have the hot applied at the switch.
You'd have to completely abandon the factory relay and wiring and rewire it using a "standard" diagram.

Hoozel 03-30-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich91710 (Post 6669686)
No.

Someone was trying to make this work a few weeks ago and he tried a few dead-ends. Nothing worked.

The problem is, on the factory system, the hot is applied to the relay coil under the hood, and the switch provides a ground for it. The indicator light needs to have the hot applied at the switch.
You'd have to completely abandon the factory relay and wiring and rewire it using a "standard" diagram.

Thanks for explaining that for me. makes sense now. I am no expert at 12 volt wiring so I didnt understand why it wouldn't work. I think i wont bother with a rewire, just to have the indicator light.

KeithB 03-31-2013 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoozel (Post 6669800)
I think i wont bother with a rewire, just to have the indicator light.

I will.

OmegaQuest 04-19-2013 04:48 AM

D'oh.

I had the same issue and spent about an hour lastnight trying to figure out why the indicator light would not turn on, yet everything else seemed to work.

Back to the drawing board I guess.