1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cannot locate bumper light socket

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mnger9, May 1, 2013.

1. May 1, 2013 at 12:04 AM
    mnger9

mnger9 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner double cab
    I have an 04 Tacoma double cab prerunner. One of my bumper lights fried right where the harness plugs in. It fried both the male (light side) and the female(harness side) plugs. I have located the female for the harness side, but cannot locate the male with the bulb socket. I bought the truck used and I'm not sure what the original setup was, but it had clear 3157's installed when I bought it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Jerry

2. May 1, 2013 at 5:23 AM
    mnger9

mnger9 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner double cab
    Was in a rush last night to post my questions on this forum as I had to work, however after having more time to research it, this originally was a turn signal, and had been converted to a clear running light of sorts. I was able to find the proper plug or socket assembly (toyota part #81515a), and my question now is: Is the 3157 bulb in this wiring configuration overloading the circuit?, or is my problem with the fried plug a fluke, and/or probably due to the moisture in the lens housing?.

3. May 1, 2013 at 5:26 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Pics would help, sounds like it shorted out, slap a new lamp in and see what happens.

4. May 1, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    mnger9

mnger9 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner double cab
    Thanks for the reply. That's my thought as well. Just got both plugs ordered, so I'll have to wait till I get them.

5. May 5, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    mnger9

mnger9 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner double cab
    Well, I received both male and female plugs in the mail. However, I did not realize the female harness end did not come prewired. Since my plug had burnt up, I needed the female connections inside the housing as well. Well after locating a Toyota manual online, dedicated solely for the repair of Toyota plug assemblies, I found what I was looking for. They actually make prefabricated pigtail assemblies with the proper wire termination as well as a preinstalled grommet to make the assembly water proof. I must say that I was impressed to find a 400-plus page manual dedicated to repairing plug connections, even though I found what I was looking for on page 360 or so. My problem lied with the socket leaking water inside the lens and it actually made it back to the plug connections where it shorted out. So I will wait for my terminations to come in the mail and get them soldered to the harness when they come in. Sorry this post is so long, but I really wanted to share with people on here the fact that Toyota created a repair manual just for plug assemblies. It came in quite handy, even though some areas were somewhat cryptic.

6. May 13, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    mnger9

mnger9 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 Prerunner double cab
    Well, got my pigtails in the mail, and got them installed in the plug housing, soldered and heat shrinked. I did order a new drivers side lens, as the reflective coating had started to come off of the inside. This was an aftermarket replacement that may have been substandard. Looking forward to many years with this truck. It may not be a 4x4 but with a lift and oversized tires, she turns some heads!!:D

Products Discussed in

To Top