Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Lighting (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/)
-   -   ARB Intensity: Flood vs Spot Beam (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/277148-arb-intensity-flood-vs-spot-beam.html)

evilbit 05-09-2013 01:04 PM

ARB Intensity: Flood vs Spot Beam

Could someone please explain which is better for what, i.e. under what kind of driving conditions would you rather have a spot beam vs flood beam? Would having one of each (individually controlled, of course) a feasible, or even a desirable option?

I'm considering installing a pair but I'm not sure which way to go. Most of my trips are around Utah (desert like Moab or mountains like Wasatch, Uintas, or even the Wind River in WY). No mudding or major wading. Long term plans for a trip south of the border, and one to Yukon/Alaska.

I'd really appreciate some crowd wisdom, these lights are pretty expensive so I kinda need to get this right :confused:

Thanks!

Yota Toy 05-09-2013 01:17 PM

I can't speak to the ARB lights but the RI Dually D2s in "spot" are extremely floody, it is a stretch to even call them spot pattern. But I don't mean that to come across as a negative, I love my D2s! My two cents: Pick your light pattern based on vehicle speed. If you are crawling get flood. Highway speeds need spot pattern...

Krazie Sj 05-09-2013 01:18 PM

Go Flood. Unless you're desert running, you won't need to see 2km ahead of you. The Floods are more than powerful enough that unless you're being highly illegal with your right foot, you'll never out drive them.

evilbit 05-09-2013 05:43 PM

So basically spot is for higher speeds, such as desert racing or the highway? In that case, flood would make more sense because I only need these lights when on trail and then I'll be slow for sure.

jake72 05-09-2013 05:52 PM

I know I had 2 sets of d2s, flood and spot. spot was alot better, plenty of spread and nice distance.

Krazie Sj 05-11-2013 01:07 AM

I got mine for deer on the highway. They've done that job perfectly. Again, it's just my opinion, but I still say flood. :p

DevL 05-11-2013 08:54 PM

There is no standard in off-road lighting. One company's spot can be wider than another's flood. Look at the output of the light and decide what you want. Just like speakers, you need to try before you buy. Lots of people do one spot and one flood. I prefer a pair of floods and a pair of spots. You really can't generalize too much though... lights are unique. Many floods are useless beyond 25-50 yards. Is that enough?

Spoonman 05-12-2013 05:59 PM

LED's put out so much light. HID's are different. Since you're looking at LED, go with a spot. There's enough ambient light coming off that it lights up the area similar to a flood.

My light bar is a combo. and its the tits. you could also just get one of each.

Jaime 05-12-2013 07:29 PM

FWIW I just asked Wil at Sierra Expeditions the same question last week and he recommended that I run one of each pattern for these specific lights.