1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SeeLite Light Bar Install/Review *PICS*

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Benson X, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Aug 5, 2013 at 1:14 AM
    Benson X

Benson X [OP] My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    *Just a heads-up - If you haven't seen my write-ups before, they tend to be long, very detailed, and there are a lot of words. Comments, PMs, questions, and criticism are welcomed; stupid remarks like TMWDR or TL;DR will be responded to with another stupid acronym - GTFO! I take no responsibility for any damage or injury from anyone attempting this mod. Do so at your own risk. *

Here's a little bit about SeeLite:

SeeLite specializes in custom LED lighting, with their primary focus on hunting and fishing boats: bow-fishing, night-fishing, duck lighting, warm lighting, trouble lighting etc. After talking with Josh, and seeing their , it was obvious that they are dedicated to their craft and have done some impressive builds that really show they take pride int what they do. They have garnered some good praise, and have created quite the following in their regional fishing and hunting community; along with sponsoring some big names with their custom-outfitted applications.

They want to further increase their footprint in the off-road community as well, and Josh is a fellow Toyota enthusiast / modder. Knowing how competitive the LED industry is right now, he's doing a great job and I hope that he succeeds. I also hope that he can put together a special offer or Group-Buy for TW.

On to the Write-Up!!!

The light-bar itself seems to be well-constructed and pretty much idiot-proof. The model I got is this one, customized with the SeeLite logo stenciled on the top:
    [​IMG]

Here are some specs.
    . LED Power: 30W
    . Operating Voltage: 10-30 vDC
    . Waterproof rating: IP 67
    . (6) 5W High Intensity CREE LEDS
    . Current draw:12V 2.40A,24V 1.12A
    . Color Temperature: 6000K
    . Material: Die-cast aluminum housing
    . Lens material:pC
    . Mounting Bracket:zinc alloy
    . Beam: Flood Spot Beam
    . 30000 hours above life time
    . Dimensions:10.5 inch
    . Certificates:CE, RoHs, IP67

I had an idea months ago (prior to Rigid's design :cool:) to mount a 10"SR in my grille, underneath the Toyota emblem. I had taken some measurements, and knew that it was possible. I also saw rkfoote's write-up on how to mount a similar 10" light-bar in the hood skewp, which also had me intrigued. After getting the dimensions, I realized the SeeLite light-bar would be too tall to mount in the scoop, so I planned to install it in the grille. The light-bar I received did not include a wiring harness (sold separately), but I easily made my own.

PARTS USED:

TOOLS USED:

• Dremel (or equivalent)
    • Bastard file
    • Small files
    • Fine tooth hacksaw blade
    • Wire strippers and crimpers
    • Tape measure
    • Painter's tape
    • Electrical Tape
    • Small & large flat-head screwdrivers
    • Center punch
    • Sharpie
    • Soldering iron (optional)
    • 10 & 12mm wrenches
    • 10mm socket and driver
    • LIGHT!!!
    • 6-pack of your favorite frosty beverage

Step 1: Cutting & Mounting

The first thing I did when I got the light-bar was connect it to the switch for a test-run. Everything worked as it should, and I let it run it for 1-hour to make sure it wouldn't radiate too much heat. It got warm to the touch, but not hot enough to melt the plastic on my grille.

Next I proceeded to cut the shit out of my grille. I measured the length of the light-bar, and when centered under the Toyota emblem, it lined up almost perfectly with the honeycomb edges on the '11 grilles. I masked each cut-line with painter's tape, and used the hacksaw blade to cut out a rectangle shape for the light-bar. I also had to trim upwards, in order to leave the plastic lip on the bottom of the grille in-tact, since that was my mounting/fastening area. I had to do A LOT of minor trimming and filing on each side and above to make it fit. I didn't take pictures of the process, and it turned out great for what it is, but not as perfect as I'd like it to be.

Once I persuaded the light-bar to fit snugly, I had to figure out how to mount it. The hardware that was included was awesome, and I regret not taking pictures of it prior to the install.

The mounting kit consisted of (2) oval-shaped nuts that slide into a channel on the back of the light-bar. (2) mounting feet fit into the back of the light bar, and bolt into the "slide-nuts" with supplied allen-head bolts and allen wrench. The feet mount to a flat surface with (2) supplied allen-head bolts, but these were too tall for my chosen area, so I substituted some 1.5" 1/4 bolts instead.

I had to get creative with the mounting, since the feet barely fit, and left a large gap for me to fill. I used my center-punch to mark my holes, and Dremeled 2 holes in the bottom plastic lip on the grille.

I had to use washers and neoprene washers on each side to fill the gap and to make sure it wouldn't crack the plastic I was bolting to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 2: Wiring !Disconnect the battery!

The light-bar had about a 14" lead with a specialized plug on the end of it. Since it didn't include a wiring harness, and I didn't want to drop $30+ on one, I had to build one myself. I am not an electronic guru, so I had not idea what type of plug it was, but after searching around for a bit I found it was a standard Deutsch 2-pin plug. I ordered one for $3 on eBay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran a length of POS and NEG wire from the Deutsch plug to the battery, and clipped them off.
    Since I have the Redline hood struts, I decided to make use off my old hood-prop retainer clip, and ran my wire leads through it, and underneath the radiator support. I reinforced both sides of the lead with electrical tape, so it couldn't get tugged in or out of the hole. Then I wrapped the end in plastic conduit and electrical tape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I zip-tied the light-bar lead to the grille itself. I Dremeled out a notch for the cable to fit in, and drilled some holes along the bottom and side, to secure it with zip-ties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the Deutsch plugs were wired and ready to go, I moved into the cab to start wiring in the switch.

I was very minimalistic with the switch. I was originally going to get a fancy OTRATTW switch and add a relay and all that jazz - but after thinking about it, I chose the easiest and most-basic circuit with the least amount of wiring.

The light-bar only draws 2.5 amps so there was no need for a relay. I wanted to have it on-demand anytime, so a fused direct-power source made sense, and eliminated the need for an ignition powered tie-in. I didn't need an illuminated switch, since I would sure as hell know if the light was ON or OFF, so that cut down on the wiring as well, and also the need to potentially connect to a dimmer source.

I went to my favorite local electronics store, and found a simple SPST On-Off rocker switch (NTE 54-225w) that would fit perfectly in the last "switch blank" I had left (with some trimming of course).

I pushed a doubled-over length of wire through the firewall grommet (always a fun task :mad:) and terminated each end with a 1/4" Quick Connect terminal. I heat-shrinked the terminals, and secured them to nearby wiring-harnesses with zip-ties and connected them to the switch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All that was left was to connect the switch to the battery and the light bar, and add a ground connection. I crimped on a 1/4 ring terminal to my 5-Amp inline fuse, and connected it to the switch lead. I then connected the second switch lead to the POS lead from the light-bar. I crimped on another 1/4" ring terminal to the NEG lead from the light-bar, and connected it to the battery's ground point.

I tucked everything up using more zip-ties and re-connected the battery.

[​IMG]

Ahhh!!! Let there be light and have a beer while basking in the basking in the 3000 lumens of bright-ass white light!

Step 3: Testing

This isn't a 50" light-bar or a Rigid SR-Combo, and it isn't trying to be. It's a modest 10" light-bar with (6) LEDs. Based on that, some would think I invested too much time/effort into making it work how I did - but that's what I wanted to do, and don't regret it at all. I am seriously impressed with the light-output from this little guy.

I took the following series of photos in succession, in an attempt to show all the different variances and light-outputs of the different combinations of fogs, lows, high, and the light-bar.

I placed reflective targets at 2 different distances away from my truck. You can also see the reflective tape on a semi over 1000ft. away, and another road sign in the distance.

Target #1 = 175ft. away
    Target #2 = 350ft. away

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 4: Summary

When I was retrieving my targets, I left only the light-bar on and it completely illuminated the area (even @ 350ft.) as if I had a flashlight with me. I was pretty impressed by that.

I think this thing puts out an impressive amount of light for the size, especially when combined with the other lights. It will be extremely useful when offroading, and should illuminate the area directly in front of the winch nicely. It will also increase my truck's visibility in the event I am on a mission for SAR, thus making it easier for the subject to spot me.

I want to make a cover for, so I ordered a few 2"x1/8"x1/8" Neodymium magnets that "should" fit in the channels of the light-bar's face perfectly. I plan to epoxy (or something) them in each channel, and make a mating metal cover to pop-on the front. The magnets have a 7.4lb pull each, so with 4-6 of them, it should be strong enough to securely hold a piece of metal on there. I may route some recessed "pockets" on the back side of the cover too, that will fit around the magnets in order to prevent it from slide or shifting around.

All in all, I am really happy with how it turned out. It works, it looks good, it's a clean install, and it's more light than I had before :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again to Josh and the SeeLite crew for the opportunity, and I hope you guys put something together for TW! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 5, 2013 at 1:24 AM
    jobrien

jobrien shit happens then you die

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ontario California
    Vehicle:
    2011 single cab base 4x4
    Bed mat, cleats, scangauge, new headlight bulbs, weather techs, more to come
    nice write up excessively long and detail oriented (not a bad tbing) :thumbsup:

3. Aug 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    super clean

nice writeup!

4. Aug 5, 2013 at 2:38 AM
    linzy77

linzy77 Does not suffer fools lightly

Member:
    First Name:
    Linzy
    Dumbfukistan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access V6 TRD Off Road
    :thumbsup: Nice writeup They look like quality lights. I going to have to give them a look now.

5. Aug 5, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Thanks man :cheers:

Thanks pineapple-guy :kona:

The install is clean; my truck is filthy :D

Check em out man. I'm pleased with the 10", so I bet the bigger ones are just as good

6. Aug 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    J88logue

J88logue NorthWest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    HWY 30
    Vehicle:
    02 D.C. TRD
    Clicko BUILDo
    Holy hell that's one specific/detailed write up - all were missing is what you had for dinner. Well done :thumbsup:

7. Aug 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Beer, copious amounts of beer....

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA to be exact :D

Actually, I did make a fresh caught halibut-cake :sandwich: on a pretzel roll. It was goo-oo-oood :hungry:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  8. Aug 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Well done bud!

9. Aug 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Thanks man! I hope it provides some good info. and/or ideas for everyone.

:thumbsup:

10. Aug 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    There's rare earth magnets you can get from Radio Shack that are about the diameter of a tic-tac. Use that and some adhesive, such as LocTite, to make your cover (make sure they are the right height, may need to stack plastic washers or something). Instead of plastic, opt for aluminum with an anodized logo. ;) I have a name of a shop that could do the work.

11. Aug 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Thanks Mike!

I already ordered the magnets from an online source. The light-bar housing is aluminum, so unfortunately it is not magnetic, so I will have to use some sort of bonding agent to secure the magnets in each channel. They should fit each recess perfect according to my measurements (2"L x 1/8"H x 1/8"D), and once mounted they should leave a slight lip that protrudes beyond the light-bar face. I plan to use a piece of light metal for the cover (cut to fit) and make the recessed pockets in the back-side, so the magnets will fit up in there and keep it flush with the light-bar.

I "might" get creative with a design on the cover too, since it will be a plain metal face. Stencil-work, decal, cutout design, painted engraved design. :notsure:

12. Aug 22, 2013 at 8:31 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Made the cover for it last weekend. What could've been a 5 minute job with the right tools took me about 3 hours with a dremel. :mad:

WAY too much work for what it is, and it is nowhere near "perfect". But it works :thumbsup:

2" x 1/4" x 1/4" neodymium magnets epoxied in the channel:
    [​IMG]

Piece of 3/16" scrap leftover from my skids (that's why there's a hole). I tried to route-out "pockets" with my dremel:
    [​IMG]

The magnets are as strong as hell!!!
    [​IMG]

13. Sep 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Dude, you rock with an impressive write up,

Love the details....

I want a 30" bar for my lower grill opening but can't come close to affording the Rigid model, although I want their mounting kit,

I may put some smaller ones in my upper grill using your info.

Thanks again.

14. Sep 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    No problem Zack! Glad you found it useful. I originally wanted a Rigid 10"SR Hybrid, but yes, they are spendy!!! I have been damn happy with the SeeLite though, it puts off a lot of light for being so small.

I bet (2) of them in the grille would provide a pretty good throw, and about 5500 lumens.

15. Dec 22, 2013 at 4:28 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT

Great write up man:thumbsup:

But I've got to ask... Why did you put that cover over it??? I don't mean to be critical but that took away from the looks of it. Unless I missed something in your write up I didn't see a reason for the cover other than you just wanted it?

I've got a 40" bar on mine and quite honestly the last thing I'm worried about is breaking the lens.

16. Dec 22, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Touché

17. Dec 22, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    poundin tacos

poundin tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scot
    Dallas, TX/ SFL
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road, 2018 built Macan Turbo (daily), 2nd gen dodge, 89 944
    Did not reed. Only look at pikturs.

18. Dec 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Yup, it was mainly for looks and some added protection. I was bored, had the idea and scrap metal so I figured why not? :D

I like it, and it protects the lens.

19. Sep 30, 2015 at 2:12 PM
    1Shifter

1Shifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Outta the black and into the blue
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    Same as everybody else...
    Nice...I have to put this on my mod list. Nice write up.

20. Dec 16, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    Icon Suspension with CDCV, SPC Light Racing UCAs, Wheeler's 3 Leaf AAL, Wheeler's Superbumps, sPod SE BAMF Sliders, All-Pro Skids, AFE Drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, RCI Aluminum LCA Skids, BAMF Bed Brackets, 4X Innovations Rear Bumper, FX-R Retrofit Headlights with Philips 4300k, Custom Nestah Edition Firestik AM/FM Antenna, Famous Fab Hood brackets, FrontRunner SlimLine 2 Roof Rack, Mob Town Offroad tailgate reinforcement plate, Ram A pillar mount, Anti-Dark hood lights, Lots of LED lights,
    Very nice job! I have a 20" I may temporarily mount there until my Pelfreybilt bumper arrives.

Products Discussed in

To Top