1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What would cause this???

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jstarks, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Feb 11, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    jstarks

jstarks [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab 4WD
    Need a little help here,

I recently installed LED Headlights in my 09 tacoma and love the look and output. They look identical to the Lifetime LED's but they are not and I knew that when I bought them.

The problem is that when I turn on the headlights, I get radio interference. I can have an FM station coming in clear as a bell...turn the park lights on and still clear as a bell...turn the headlights on and the radio station now is full of static...turn the headlights off and the radio station is clear as a bell again..:confused:

When I first installed, I used double sided tape to mount the control boxes. Thinking that the problem might have been because the boxes were not grounded, I went back and hard mounted the control boxes with screws going into the sheet metal, near the headlights.

Tried again and......BAM...same damn thing!:mad:

This weekend I am going to put my stock bulbs back in and see if the interference is there but, I doubt it will be because the only change was the LED Headlights and I didn't have this problem before.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it??

I really like these but not if I can't listen to the radio!:mad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

2. Feb 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    Edpsx

Edpsx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    13' Double Cab Limited MGM
    K&N Intake, Stainless Tube Steps, Pioneer 8500BHS, Coming Soon:, Morimoto H1 Mini, Viper 5704
    Must be one heck of a ground loop going if its that bad. Im with you in betting that the stock bulbs will fix the problem. I bet their cheap ballast is causing the hum/static you are experiencing.

3. Feb 11, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    Silverpig

Silverpig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like a ground problem somewhere. Good luck, I hate odd ball issues

4. Feb 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM
    jstarks

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab 4WD
    Yeah, If there is gonna be an odd-ball issue...I am the one that's going to have it.:rolleyes:

It's definitely very strange. It's not really a hum but more like you just clipped half the antennae off. I can still here the radio station but with alot of static....almost like poor reception. Turn the lights off and its back to clear.

Shame too...because I really like the lights.

Oh well.:(

5. Feb 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM
    Silverpig

Silverpig Well-Known Member

Member:
    You sure you don't have a VW?:D

6. Feb 11, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    TheGrayRider

TheGrayRider MARANATHA !!!

Member:
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 BBP DC 4X4 OR
    Did you miss a step during installation ?

I has to be an improper ground

Our VWs beetles had this issue back in the day

What brand ? I'd like to take a look

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  7. Feb 12, 2014 at 6:01 AM
    jstarks

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab 4WD
    These are the ones that I have, although not from this seller.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Awsome-2x-2...es&hash=item3f30a5a66a&vxp=mtr#ht_4703wt_1108

Only the pictures at the top of the listing.

There were no instructions included and it seems straight forward enough. One end of the wire from the control box has a mating plug on the LED light and the other wire from the control box has a mating plug to the existing headlight harness. The LED itself has a removable mounting flange that mounts where the existing headlight bulb was, install the stock rubber boot over the mounting flange, then re-insert the actual LED into the mounting flange and twist to lock in place. The only thing left to question is the mounting of the control box.

A litte more info is that I do have an aftermarket stereo system in this truck, as well as an aftermarket antenna (car wash took out the stock antenna). Not sure if any of this matters but, want to make sure that I share all parts of the equation.

Some other things to note is that while I have an aftermarket stereo and antenna, NO interference issue existed prior to installing the LED headlights.
    Also, it is only the "Tuner" source that is effected. All other sources (CD, USB, Bluetooth) are un-effected.

This weekend I will put the stock bulbs back in and make sure there are no issues. If everything is fine with the stock bulbs, I will try again with the LEDs but this time I will try to run a ground wire from each control box chassis to the battery ground and see if that does anything.
    If not, then it's time to break out the sledge hammer and get some redemtion!:mad:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Feb 12, 2014 at 6:15 AM
    whopper

whopper 2016 MGM 4x4 double cab

Member:
    First Name:
    wayne
    north carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 tacoma double cab 4x4 MGM
    On going
    I installed the lifetime LED headlights no static good luck

9. Feb 12, 2014 at 6:29 AM
    jstarks

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab 4WD
    Yeah, I hear ya. If I can't get this figured out, I'll try Lifetime or Retro.

10. Feb 12, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    Edpsx

Edpsx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    K&N Intake, Stainless Tube Steps, Pioneer 8500BHS, Coming Soon:, Morimoto H1 Mini, Viper 5704
    Hmmmmmm, aftermarket antenna? How does that work? Maybe if you isolate the grounds away from each other?

11. Feb 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM
    jstarks

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab 4WD

Not sure what you mean by, "How does that work?" but my original antenna broke off in a car wash so I unscrewed the stub that was remaining and replaced it with one of these.

[​IMG]

No new grounds or wiring of any kind involved.

12. Feb 12, 2014 at 10:57 AM
    Edpsx

Edpsx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    ah ok, I thought maybe you meant you wired in a new powered antenna or something. Just screwing a new antenna on shouldnt effect it unless the way it was mounted to the fender was with something that isolated it from the metal. Maybe when it broke off it took a washer or something with it?

13. Feb 12, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    senn4586

senn4586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Always on lighter output, Any Time On Fog lights, rear 12v outlet, 4 additional D-Rings, Plasti-Dipped Side Steps, Satoshi Color Matched Grill, Dash light swap, Dome light and map light, Under hood light, Back up light/Bed Light, Diff Breather relocation, Cubby Combo Lock, Ammo Cans Mounted in bed
    It's the ballast itself. I had the same problem and when I went with different ballast the noise was gone. I eventually went with something completely different but the humming you are experiencing is the ballast. If you have extra ballast try switching them out and have the low beams on only. Guarantee that the humming will be gone with a different ballast.

14. Sep 30, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    jlm4655

jlm4655 New Member

Member:
    Tidewater Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4
    2.5" OME, ARB Bull Bar with WARN M8000 winch
    Jorge here in Tidewater VA,

I'm having the exact same issue with my '04 Taco with the Lifetime LED. Mine also had no instructions.
    What's a Ballast?

Products Discussed in

To Top