Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Lighting (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/)
-   -   Hella 700ff HID conversion. (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/60590-hella-700ff-hid-conversion.html)

Dellosa89 11-12-2009 03:23 PM

Hella 700ff HID conversion.
 
I have gotten a couple Pm's about how i converted my Hella 700ff to HID, So i decided to do a write up to help anyone out that wants more visibility with there Hella 700ff or hella 500. I want to thank rzimmer001 who showed me how to originally do it.
Ok the bulb in a hella 700/500 is a h3 bulb. Here is a site to buy the HIDs for only $40 a pair.
Edited: New link. http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...parent=85&pg=1

First off take the plastic housing off, then cut a 1" diameter hole in the back, this is for the rubber boot around the wires for the hid bulbs.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...m/PB120014.JPG

Now take the halogen bulb out along with the ground piece. so all there should be is two black prongs. Now the HID bulb does not fit right in so you are going to trim the two black prongs. Its really hard to tell you how much to trim, but just trim the sides and the height of the prongs tell you can fit the bulb in, just dont trim too much.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...m/PB120023.JPG

Now once you got the bulb in, bend the black prongs flat to secure the bulb in. I suggest using some hot glue around the base of the HID bulb to completely seal the light.
Now put the light back together, and place the rubber boot into the plastic back cover of the offroad light.
so now the wires come out directly back.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...m/PB120013.JPG

Ok now to mount the ballast, this is where i mounted mine, you may have a different place to mount them depending on where you mounted your off road light. Mine are zip tied to the plastic support under the top of the bumper.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d.../PA1400031.JPG
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...m/PA140002.JPG
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...m/PB120012.JPG

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...m/PB120024.JPG
Feel free to PM me for any questions.

Capita 11-12-2009 03:44 PM

That is awesome! Thanks for the write-up and great photos. Do the wires have to be upgraded to do this mod?

Dellosa89 11-12-2009 03:52 PM

Nope the HID actually use less power because they are more efficient than the halogen bulbs.

Capita 11-12-2009 03:56 PM

Awesome! Thanks man. I really want to do this in the near future.

Zombie Runner 11-12-2009 05:03 PM

sweeeeet, ill be doing this next payday:D

Dellosa89 11-12-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capita (Post 1115609)
Awesome! Thanks man. I really want to do this in the near future.

No problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keason1* (Post 1115915)
sweeeeet, ill be doing this next payday:D

Nice. you will love the light power.

Zombie Runner 11-13-2009 08:46 AM

this should be a sticky!

Crom 11-16-2009 05:04 PM

Great mod. Dellosa89, Where did you get that light bar?

RelentlessTaco 11-16-2009 06:11 PM

nice. I think I might try and do a HID conversion with my 500FF's. Now that I have 6000K HIDs in my regular lights, the hellas are pretty much worthless anymore.

Timicha 11-17-2009 04:36 PM

how hot do the HID's get cause i may also try this with my 500ff

Dellosa89 11-20-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timicha (Post 1129686)
how hot do the HID's get cause i may also try this with my 500ff

They are the same if not a little cooler running than the stock halogen light bulb. The HID will be fine on the hella 500 housing.

Timicha 11-20-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dellosa89 (Post 1140774)
They are the same if not a little cooler running than the stock halogen light bulb. The HID will be fine on the hella 500 housing.

awesome ill be ordering hid's for my headlights and hella's next week then. how come everyone doesn't buy there HID's from these people instead of paying 145 or somthing in the group buys???

MotoXXX 11-22-2009 11:18 AM

Nice write up! I have the 500ff, do you use the relay and stock wiring on the HIDs?

MotoXXX 11-22-2009 11:25 AM

What color temp woulb be the best? Also they have a 55w now for 10$ more. Should work yes?

Dellosa89 11-22-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoXXX (Post 1143719)
Nice write up! I have the 500ff, do you use the relay and stock wiring on the HIDs?

Yep it works just fine with the stock wiring harness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoXXX (Post 1143725)
What color temp woulb be the best? Also they have a 55w now for 10$ more. Should work yes?

I recomend going with 4500k to 6k since they are going to be for offroading you need the best visibility. and yes i would get the 55w it will be even better the only reason i didn't get them cause i bought the HIDs from a friend for dirt cheap cause he didn't need them anymore.

MotoXXX 11-22-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dellosa89 (Post 1143800)
Yep it works just fine with the stock wiring harness.


I recomend going with 4500k to 6k since they are going to be for offroading you need the best visibility. and yes i would get the 55w it will be even better the only reason i didn't get them cause i bought the HIDs from a friend for dirt cheap cause he didn't need them anymore.

Great, thanks! Last questions before I order, I need the H3 ones correct? What would the brightest ones be? 5k?

Timicha 11-22-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoXXX (Post 1144387)
Great, thanks! Last questions before I order, I need the H3 ones correct? What would the brightest ones be? 5k?

most people say between 4500 and 6k are the best, im gonna go 6k when i get mine, both my room mates got 6k and they are amazingly bright

Dellosa89 11-22-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timicha (Post 1144487)
most people say between 4500 and 6k are the best, im gonna go 6k when i get mine, both my room mates got 6k and they are amazingly bright

Yea get the H3 for the hellas, i have the 5k cause i really like a pure white look in the dirt.

RelentlessTaco 11-22-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dellosa89 (Post 1144641)
Yea get the H3 for the hellas, i have the 5k cause i really like a pure white look in the dirt.

Well, if he goes with the 6000K 55w's then they'll probably be comparable. The 55w's bleach out some of the color vs the 35w's

Dellosa89 11-22-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco (Post 1144796)
Well, if he goes with the 6000K 55w's then they'll probably be comparable. The 55w's bleach out some of the color vs the 35w's

Yea ive seen the 6k 55w they are almost identical to the 35w 5k in color.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:21 PM.