1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lightforce Auxillary Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Fish Head, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Nov 17, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    Fish Head

Fish Head [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Let me start by saying, this is a newbie question. You guys have an overwhelming selection of catagories in which to post comments/questions, so here's hoping I've chosen the right one and won't get flamed too heavily if I've chosen poorly.
    I've spent countless hours now lurking here as well as multiple other forums, reading, researching and trying to get up to speed on light bars as well as the lights to be mounted to said bars. I own an 08 double cab and am looking to add both driving lights as well as fog lights. After I don't know how many hours of internet surfing, I've narrowed my bar selection down to something by N Fab or a creation from either KC or Randy Ellis ( both KC and R.E.D. make a near identical product ). I won't post photos, as I'm confident most of you know which ones I am speaking of.

Question #1 regarding the bars - I have read many reviews on the KC/R.E.D. style, and no one has any complaints or issues with vibration or movement. The same can't be said for the N Fab stuff.......or at least I haven't found it yet. Any stability issues with N Fabs bar ? I travel rough dirt roads frequently and cannot afford to have bulbs bouncing around all over the place - my lights need to be solid.

Question #2 regarding lights - Lightforce has won me over after a lot of researching, reading, and talking with the few guys I've seen that do own them. Again, I can find very little negative about their products............with the eexception of their latest release, the Genisis series. There's not a whole lot out there on these yet, and for the time they've been out, I would've thought there'd be more feedback on them by now. Any addition info/thoughts on the Genisis would be greatly appreciated.
    My original intent was to run a pair of the 240 Blitz H.I.D coupled with a pair of the 170 H.I.D. Strikers, however, I find myself wondering if that configuration will even fit on a KC/R.E.D bar ? I've seen photos of that exact layout on an N Fab bar, so I know it will work on that setup. Enter the Genisis, which give me just a little bit more elbow room if need be, BUT.....at what cost ? Still looking for some comparative comments on the Genisis up against the Blitz and 170's.

I'm a sponge when it comes to thoughts, experiences etc with stuff, so have at it guys, and thanks for listening to the new guy.:)

2. Nov 17, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I have the nfab and have no complaints what so ever. i use to drive on gravel, washboard roads several times a month and had no problems. on the washboards there was a little vibration to the lights but not enough to really bother me.
    they are very sturdy and mine has held up well. I stand on it some times to clean the hood and its solid.

if you wanna save some money on lights check out this thread.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/60590-hella-700ff-hid-conversion.html

and welcome to TW!!

3. Nov 17, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    on the nfab bar you can only run two lightforce 240's or three 170's, i have two 170's which i think i am going to replace them with soltek hid's. lightforce are good lights but i would get the hid's if i had to do it again, they are a pain in the ass to retrofit

4. Nov 17, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier

yayaya:D

5. Nov 17, 2009 at 12:15 PM
    Fish Head

Member:
  6. Nov 17, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    N-Fab & Smittybuilt are pretty much the same bar. Here's my smittybuilt....very sturdy as was mentioned. It won't be the bar vibrating the lights, maybe the light mounts but not the bar.

[​IMG]

yeah, I know, but it's a fake plate so who cares.............

7. Nov 17, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    Fish Head

Member:
    It's a price I'm willing to pay. No way I'm going to attempt a retro fit after the fact on a set of halogens - read to many negatives regarding the procedure and the ultimate result when compared to one done factory right from the get go. If I'm going H.I.D., I'm going to do it right, and do it factory. I'm looking at just over a grand for the initial set up for just lights, but I doubt I'll ever have to go back and fuss with it ever again.
    All this leads to a secondary (related) question : ballasts....internal or external ?
    The reason I ask is, what's the life expectancy on these anyways, and how hard are the internal ones to R&R when the time comes vs the external version ? I see guys mounting external ones in areas that look like they'd be very accesable to work with for when the time comes to do a swap.

8. Nov 17, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    Fish Head

Member:
    Oh - and thanks guys for all this......my head is still spinning looking at the endless possibilities when it comes to the mods you've all done. Your collective experiences with your trucks is worth it's weight in gold, and then some.
    Your time in responding here is very much appreciated !!

So still no input on the Genisis......I'll keep looking. I thought the introduction of an 8" lamp from these guys would've kicked up a pile-o business for them, but I guess not.
    In the mean time, knowing what I'm looking to mount,( a pair of 240s and a pair of 170s.....OR 2 pairs of the Genisis...jury is still out on that one ), which bars ( if any ) that we've discussed are suitable ? No one in my neck of the woods has physical stock on hand to be able to take measurements from, and if I order something on line and it's wrong, I'm basically screwed.

Prior to a few posts ago, I had never heard of Smittybuilt. Indeed, their product does look very similar to that of what N Fab kicks out. Is one a knock off of the other, and what's the diff between the two....is one any better than the other ????......
    My criteria for my light bar was something that would be rock solid with as little transfer of vibration from road surface to light housings as possible, and was a direct bolt on - there must be NO cutting or modding the bumper or anything else, hence why I settled on N Fab or the K.C./R.E.D. bars.

9. Nov 17, 2009 at 10:47 PM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    don't go with the genisis, too new, let them work the bugs out. n-fab makes the light bar and side steps and smittybuilt slaps there name on it. check out n-fab's website, they have different light bars now and they tell you what size light you can rum. i think the lightforce 240's are too big. stick with 8" and under in my opion of course.

here is a side shot of what i had.

[​IMG]

10. Nov 18, 2009 at 4:04 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The smittybuilt on my truck has only 1 hole in the side brackets going thru the grill & on the front on each side where the brackets meet the bar, there are little triangle gussets that I don't see on fish head's nfab but....nfab was on the instruction sheet that came with mine so it's just a variation or revision of the same thing.

[​IMG]

11. Nov 18, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
  12. Nov 18, 2009 at 6:22 AM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
  13. Nov 18, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:
    To the OP, I also am trying to decide on what route to take with the bar and lights. I am looking at going with the nfab bar for sure since I found it for $149 shipped. I am looking at doing Lightforce, but only if I can fit 4 170's on the bar. Another poster said you can only fit 3 170's on the nfab bar? According to nfab's website you can fit up to four 9" lights on the bar. the 170's are a little smaller than 7" in diameter. Am I missing something here?

14. Nov 18, 2009 at 6:37 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
  15. Nov 18, 2009 at 6:45 AM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier

you can fit 4 170's on there, i had two and you can see the spacing in the above pic. spacing is the same on all 4 tabs

16. Nov 18, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:
    They other option I am considering is to run 2 140's and 2 170's on the nfab.

17. Nov 18, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier

well you know those will fit two. see above pic

18. Nov 18, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    Fish Head

Member:
    Stay with the 170s........the 140s don't have enough umph IMHO. Besides - the 140s are going to appear undersized from a visual standpoint.

19. Nov 18, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    yea im not really a fan of different size lights on the same bar. looks kinda silly IMO

20. Nov 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    Fish Head

Member:
    I've always felt so also. But, having said that, this is the closest thing to the configuration I'm working towards

[​IMG]

- only difference is, I want the larger 240s in the middle with the smaller 170s out on the shoulders. The 240s will be my main "clear" driving lights while the 170s will likely sport fog lenses and the accompanying beam pattern.
    Gonna' have to play with it once I have everything in my hands. I did briefly consider running 4 x 170s to keep that uniform look as mentioned, but I get this goofy look on my face when I think of the phenominal power of those 240s and having the ability to peel paint off just about anything in front of me with them. :D
    First dude to high beam me when he shouldn't be is gonna' be on the receiving end of some serious retinal damage. ( no,....I'm not going to be running around looking for un suspecting drivers to blind....but when the time comes, I'm gonna' REALLY enjoy flippin' that switch. )

Products Discussed in

To Top