1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed cover LEDs mod

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by tisher49, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Jan 16, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    tisher49

tisher49 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh
    I've been wanting to do a mod with LEDs so I picked a set of Flex LEDs up at autozone today. This is a work in progress but I knew I could come here to have some questions answered. Below is the kit I bought. I like the idea of putting them on the underside of the cover and I already figured out how to do it but thought I would see if anyone has any recommendations on another spot to put them.

I have no experience with wiring and conveniently this kit comes with a small battery pack. I have no idea how long it will last but it's easier than running wires to it considering I am planning on putting the LEDs on the underside of my retractable cover.
    [​IMG]

I taped the led strips up to get an idea of where I wanted them. I'd say they light up the bed well. I could read the instructions with them on in a pitch dark garage.

Below is the switch that is attached to the LEDs. It is just a push button switch but it doesn't toggle, so as soon as I let go the lights turn off. Any ideas on how I can make it a toggle switch? I'd like to be able to keep the same switch because it is small so I will be able to fit it in the latching mechanism of the cover.
    [​IMG]

And now the finished product...

You can see where I drilled a hole that didn't end up working because the button wouldn't fit under the latch.
    [​IMG]

I taped up the wires using duct tape...I couldn't find electrical tape wide enough to fit the wires...
    [​IMG]

And here it is all lit up....
    [​IMG]

And this one gives you an idea of how bright the LEDs are....
    [​IMG]

2. Jan 17, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    tisher49

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh
    i guess people dont really like the mod lol

3. Jan 17, 2010 at 8:35 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    looks good.maybe add some more lights

4. Jan 17, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    tisher49

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    yeah if autozone has more i think i might add them and tap them into the same battery source...

anyone have any idea how long i can expect the battery to last?

Products Discussed in

To Top