Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Multipurpose 4x4 Long Travel kit?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
ks2socal is on a distinguished road

ks2socal's Tacoma Gallery
Multipurpose 4x4 Long Travel kit?

Hello all,

Ive been lurking for a little while, I used to have a tundra dc with TC uppers and king coils, I also chase for a class 7s and others. Ive since moved on to a UTV, however my living situation has changed and am finding myself limited since its not street legal.

I now live in Kansas, but still spend time in Havasu and the cali/mexico deserts. Being close to colorado and moab also have their benefits, which is why I was thinking a jeep, but to get a jeep to be capable in the desert is going to cost alot.

So my question is, do any of you with LT also wheel in the rocks?

-All pro comes to mind, but seems a little less capable in the fast sections.

-The engage kit looks awesome, but may be a little to wide. Does anyone have real measurements? Still havent seen if they have 4x4 working yet.

TC and Burg, both seem to be 3.5in wider per side? If thats the case the engage kit seems like a better deal.

For the rear i would like to do a SUA, however im not sure if it will get caught up in the rocks.

I havent purchased a truck yet, still havent decided on First gen vs 2nd gen. Obviously I could throw more money into a first gen due to a lower cost to purchase. I really hate the first gen seats, nothing that some mastercrafts cant fix lol

Any input/experiences would greatly be appreciated.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...formation.html

This link may help you out
Old 08-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #3

Thanks, it sort of helps out.

Not too much mention of the crawling aspects, or if widths are an issue.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
So my question is, do any of you with LT also wheel in the rocks?
Yes, I have.
-All pro comes to mind, but seems a little less capable in the fast sections.
I can tell you by experiance that the AP kit does well in the fast sections. and Just as well on the rocks
-The engage kit looks awesome, but may be a little to wide. Does anyone have real measurements? Still havent seen if they have 4x4 working yet.

TC and Burg, both seem to be 3.5in wider per side? If thats the case the engage kit seems like a better deal.
I have a TC kit and Like it A lot. But I have a first gen 4x4
For the rear i would like to do a SUA, however im not sure if it will get caught up in the rocks.
Yes you lose clearance with a SUA kit. It all depends on what you want to do more Rocks or Desert. On the rocks you just have to be more careful and wheel placement is key. I can tell you also by experience that a Spring over can't compete with a SUA in the desert.

I havent purchased a truck yet, still havent decided on First gen vs 2nd gen. Obviously I could throw more money into a first gen due to a lower cost to purchase. I really hate the first gen seats, nothing that some mastercrafts cant fix lol

I used to have a 2nd gen and the seats and interior is what I miss most. these 1st gen seat do blow huge dick. I'm actually going to be doing new seats (Corbeau or Master craft) also when I go do an in interior cage.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #5

Thank you amaes, checking out your build now.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
this thread over on TTORA might help you out...

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...light=crawling
Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
AllPro is building a LT expo truck right now.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...baja-taco.html
Old 08-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
All pro is exactly what you are describing.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #9

Thanks again for all the links!

Mxpatriot do you have any vids of your truck in action? Sick truck!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Crawling with a long travel setup is downright pleasant. Plenty of clearance under the front differential and the bumps are nicely absorbed.

The rear is where you'll have issues. Things were great until I went to the SUA conversion. High speed stuff is heaven but the leaf pack WILL get hooked on rocks. I took out the bottom 3 leafs on my last trip. Bent 2 and snapped 1 in half.

I like the suspension flex in this vid. It felt like nothing when I drove through this pit, even in bonsai mode.

My buddy's Jeep in the same hole for reference:

LT the front with bypass shocks to handle whoops at speed and link the rear to get around the ground clearance issues and you'll have a pretty killer all-around rig.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #11

Ahh nice! I saw your post on RDC.

Yeah the SUA does have me a lil worried, I think ill get some pricing for a 4link setup and compare the two.

I wish the all pro had the option of a bypass.

You sure made the jeep look bad
Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
He made up for it on some BIG rocks later in the day.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #13

mjp2- What size tire are you running?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #14

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
305 70/16. Basically a 33x12 tire. They ride nice but I could definitely stand to regear. It's on the list for this winter.

Even with the Camburg LT setup I had to trim the body mounts to clear them without rubbing. What size do you have in mind for your setup?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #15

I was thinking 35's and Glass all around, maybe even a one piece front end.

The extra ground clearance from the tires, may allow me to still do a SUA and wheel.

Have you though of maybe making some sort of skid/slider for your leaf springs?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #16

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
It's absolutely crossed my mind. I just haven't had time to work on it as I've been fixing other things that are more immediately needed.

I have a driveshaft skidplate as part of my torque arm which has saved my driveshaft a ton of times. I imagine my fabricator could come up with something clever to keep that leaf pack intact.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
From what I have been reading and what others have posted (I tend to find better information and experience on this subject from OakleyTRD on TTORA) is that the All-Pro setup is what you are looking for. This is what I may be leaning towards next year.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
yup, im definitely staying away from rocks after I go SUA...never liked them before, and I never will
Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
yup, im definitely staying away from rocks after I go SUA...never liked them before, and I never will
I was the same way, until I headed to the Colorado mountains. Talk about epic scenery.

Ill check out oakleytrd's build.

Any word on 4x4 axles for engage?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #20
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks2socal View Post
Any word on 4x4 axles for engage?
yea, they are on their 3rd or 4th design thru their supplier....i havent had a need for 4x4 yet so im still waiting patiently