DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Long Travel BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2014, 01:50 AM   #45362
Marnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarnes2986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Marnes2986's Tacoma Gallery
Can someone explain the necessity of having a "Fuel cell/Safe"? other than the fact that it is required for racing.

I want to be proactive in my safety and my passengers safety while offroading but how much safer is it?

If puncture is the main issue, you can essentially just wrap your fuel tank in an aluminum box.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:55 AM   #45363
Trusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant futureTrusso24 has a brilliant future

Name: Tony
Trusso24's Tacoma Gallery
Ground clearance? My links get in the way of the stock tank, that's why I had to ditch it.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:53 AM   #45364
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Coming along. Fought just about every step of the way

Looks great man. I'm picking up all my parts up this weekend minus the bypasses which are still being built.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:59 AM   #45365
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnes2986 View Post
Can someone explain the necessity of having a "Fuel cell/Safe"? other than the fact that it is required for racing.

I want to be proactive in my safety and my passengers safety while offroading but how much safer is it?

If puncture is the main issue, you can essentially just wrap your fuel tank in an aluminum box.
I understand it to be puncture but also containment in a roll over. If your truck is upside down for a while a stock fuel tank is going to leak everywhere while a fuel cell won't. Your stock fuel tank just has those straps to hold it to your frame. Once you build a mount for your fuel cell it isn't going anywhere.

However there are so many pending CARB changes that I've heard about that may make having one on a street truck difficult.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #45366
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone know for sure if the motor mounts coming off the frame for a 2.7 6lug is in the same spot as a 4.0?
Old 04-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #45367
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: cody
4runnercaged's Tacoma Gallery
It's crazy how prone the lower ball joints are too breaking.
One of these days I will have the money for a uniball lower.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #45368
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HAOLE View Post
I understand it to be puncture but also containment in a roll over. If your truck is upside down for a while a stock fuel tank is going to leak everywhere while a fuel cell won't. Your stock fuel tank just has those straps to hold it to your frame. Once you build a mount for your fuel cell it isn't going anywhere.

However there are so many pending CARB changes that I've heard about that may make having one on a street truck difficult.

X2^ on what he said.

Also, you can kinda pick and choose where you want to put it, and having it off near the back helps a ton with weight distribution.

My stock tank is going to be the next thing to go.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #45369
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnercaged View Post
It's crazy how prone the lower ball joints are too breaking.
One of these days I will have the money for a uniball lower.
Actually thats the first i heard it being the bolts, and the other failures are mostly worn clapped out ball joints. I still check mine often and change them out at first sight of wear.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:14 AM   #45371
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSam View Post
Actually thats the first i heard it being the bolts, and the other failures are mostly worn clapped out ball joints. I still check mine often and change them out at first sight of wear.
Matt had it happen in his old truck while going over a speed bump. But...they were the same bolts that came with the balljoints and the used kit he got. I red loctite mine in.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #45372
SPEEDY CRAWLER
4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed4runnercaged is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL ROJO View Post
Matt had it happen in his old truck while going over a speed bump. But...they were the same bolts that came with the balljoints and the used kit he got. I red loctite mine in.
I have also seen a truck or two where the bolts broke. The bolts broke on mine too, but I think it was a result of the bolts being loose actually I'm pretty positive it was.
And Sam you're right yes most of them are due to clapped out ball joints, that's what my other breakages where from. But now I replace them at first sight of wear. Lesson learned on that one
Old 04-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #45373
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL ROJO View Post
Are u thinking about swapping in a 4.0
itd be hell of a lot easier if it was hahah.

More or less my stock mounts cracking so i wondering if i should keep the stock mount from the frame or start from scratch with an entirely new one.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #45374
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
:0
Old 04-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #45375
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacokid09 View Post
itd be hell of a lot easier if it was hahah.

More or less my stock mounts cracking so i wondering if i should keep the stock mount from the frame or start from scratch with an entirely new one.

Faaaak man
Old 04-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #45376
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Could someone take a few min. Of there time and help me out with a susp. Question. Mostly out of ignorance and for the sake of knowing.

Directed at the rear. At higher speed is a softer pack going to handle/ride better? And the shock just keeps it from bouncing? Or do you want a stiff pack?

I see tons of info on what setup to run just wondering what you are going after for a good off road ride.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #45377
SPEEDY CRAWLER
A softer pack will ride better, but you want to make sure you have enough right height so you have enough up travel. Stiffer packs carry more weight so it really depends how much weight you plan on carrying in the back.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #45378
TCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTCprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TCprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3 leaf pack and my truck rides like shit when unloaded but I hit bumps constantly while unloaded I would not want to go any more then 2" higher in the back would prefer 1.5 or less nothing like y'all do just unmaintained roads but want to get good performance. I don't haul more then bicycles or canoes on a normal basis.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #45379
Zam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZam15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Zam15's Tacoma Gallery
New 7" bedsides for my DC!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #45380
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
How loud are aluminum strike pads when they hit the lca??

Products Discussed in this Thread