1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long Travel BS Thread

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by amaes, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Apr 21, 2015 at 6:05 AM
    tubbsisland

tubbsisland I took snowtanks beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Arizona
    Mine are gel coated haha

Thanks dude, I'm honestly just gunna wrap the whole truck. It can be done for like $800 if you have the ability to do it yourself, should hold up better than paint and is easier to touch up.

2. Apr 21, 2015 at 6:48 AM
    XPOTRON

XPOTRON Is LIVE on the GRID.

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    IG: @ST3F3NS
    DUROBUMPS Use TRON10 for 10% Off & Free Shipping
    Like mine? :cool:

NO! im so glad I didn't go with a wrap, was such a pain to maintain. My paint now is pretty difficult but it is black, and is still easier to keep clean than the wrap I used to have. If you get a matte white wrap that may be the best option and wont show too much

3. Apr 21, 2015 at 7:17 AM
    ls1 prerunner

ls1 prerunner Internet Scientist

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    19 Golf .:R & 11 4x4 TRD LT S/C
    TRD S/C, Camburg LT, DMZ SUA, SAW Shocks in all four corners, Glassworks hood, fenders and Bedsides, 35" Toyo MT, KMC Enduros
    What are the draw backs of the wrap? How was it difficult to maintain? My bedsides are already destroyed by rock chips so if I fix them it would probably be easier to replace the wrap every 6 months than body works and paint.

4. Apr 21, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    sirhk100

sirhk100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    J-prich's truck has a gloss wrap on it and I wouldn't say it's any different then any vehicle with a paint job to maintain. It does get chipped fairly easy like on the front leading face of the bedsides from rocks off the front tires. I think if you did a wrap with clear bra on some of the more higher abuse areas of the wrap it would be a great combo. Maintenance wise though, I just wash it with a sponge and soapy water like any other vehicle then dry it with a towel and it always looks great when finished.

Personally though, if you're just going with a standard color or like a simple pattern, I'd go paint. If you're going with a complicated design then wrap for sure. Both methods have their purpose...

Me personally for a offroad dedicated ride, I'm a fan of plastidip. It's cheap, easy to repair, DIY, holds up decent, and did I mention cheap? LOL I'm not looking to win any car shows with my baller paint job on my truck that gets abused. In my eyes, dip is a practical cheap solution to white fenders. Once my truck is finished up I'll be dipping it. They've got a decent selection of colors now too. Just another option/route to consider. Is it the best all around? Up to you do decide but bang for your buck, it's hard to beat for something that looks good from 5 feet away. I'm not building a SEMA vehicle. (although, if you look at the dipping forums, there are dudes doing show quality jobs on their street rides!)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  5. Apr 21, 2015 at 7:48 AM
    tubbsisland

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Arizona

Well Ive worked with Vinyl for years and wrapping over the long run is much easier for me to maintain as I can rewrap pieces myself that get trashed much easier than having them painted to match, the paint guy I use now is far from inexpensive and blending a custom color to match the rest of the truck when I trash a bedside or whatever at BAP or RATR would get expensive. You have to use a special cleaning solution on matte vinyl if you really want it to continue to look uniform.

6. Apr 21, 2015 at 7:56 AM
    XPOTRON

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Ah gotcha man, I was assuming you had never dealt with it before. I just picked the wrong color to try and keep looking clean, and atleast with my paint I could buff things out to an extent while the vinyl just got scratched and there was nothing to do about it. My wrap was a matte black, and my paint is now satin black. A clear bra wrap would be ideal for either setup tho. I think I'll be looking into bedlining the bad areas on the bedsides since they are constantly taking abuse.

7. Apr 21, 2015 at 8:39 AM
    tubbsisland

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Arizona

I worked at a vinyl shop for a little bit, did all the stickers at SDHQ for a couple years and still help out in a bind when we need stuff thrown on the TT before a race.

Personally I love solid color vinyl. Its cheap if you have the skills to install it yourself, non permanent, protects your actual paint and you can do some pretty cool stuff with it. For instance my truck will be going one solid color with some "bright" logos over the top in kind of an interesting color combo, but to make the logos stand out even more I will be laying a thick vinyl on the base in the logo outlines to give kind of a 3D look to the logos. Its hard to describe but i have the concept in my head and its gunna look legit.

8. Apr 21, 2015 at 10:21 AM
    txmxer

txmxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    California and Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 dc tacoma
    - Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel kit - Fox 2.5 coilovers w/ resis -Prerunner bumper -Fiberglass front fenders -Fiberwerx tt bedsides - Dmz Sua - fox 2.5x16 triple bypasses
    Yeah! That looks pretty slick, maybe even a charcoal grey. How much did that run you if you dont mind me asking

9. Apr 21, 2015 at 4:26 PM
    SilverGhost

SilverGhost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RayRay
    Reunion, Co
    Vehicle:
    02,03 some 04, it's complicated
    #junkyardparts
    Vinyl kicked my ass. I never done it before. So the lack of expirence shows. I give credit to those that can do it well. Both my front and rear glass is satin black vinyl. I will eventually have them painted but for now this will do.

10. Apr 21, 2015 at 4:29 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Wrinkles or bubbles or both? A hair dryer takes out a lot of wrinkles, it shrinks the vinyl and makes them disappear

11. Apr 21, 2015 at 6:07 PM
    SilverGhost

SilverGhost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RayRay
    Reunion, Co
    Vehicle:
    02,03 some 04, it's complicated
    #junkyardparts
    Wrinkles, I tried using a heat gun but I think I stretched to much. All the flat surfaces came out smooth but when I rolled the vinyl over the top everything wanted to come together and made a shit load of wrinkles. I just ended up cutting the vinyl from the top of the bedsides and sprayed raptor bed liner on the top of my bedsides. The front glass wasn't as bad.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  12. Apr 22, 2015 at 3:39 AM
    XPOTRON

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Nice! Sounds like it'll be badass, and I get the 3D look :cool: Actually been looking into Tron style 3D designs to add to the bottom half of my truck

I'm not even embarrassed to say since my insurance covered 95% of it haha but this paint with all the prep and restoration cost 5500

13. Apr 22, 2015 at 9:06 AM
    txmxer

txmxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    California and Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 dc tacoma
    - Total Chaos 3.5 Long travel kit - Fox 2.5 coilovers w/ resis -Prerunner bumper -Fiberglass front fenders -Fiberwerx tt bedsides - Dmz Sua - fox 2.5x16 triple bypasses
    :eek:Thats insane! Lucky situation with insurance though

14. Apr 22, 2015 at 4:39 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    Hey guys, just want to let you all know that this account is active again. Shoot me a PM for pricing if you need anything!

15. Apr 22, 2015 at 5:24 PM
    ckeene9

ckeene9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB Supercharged 4x4 TRD Sport
    See Build Thread
    :wave:

16. Apr 22, 2015 at 5:26 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ

whats up chris :cool:

17. Apr 22, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I have some original production TC upper arms, they are slightly too short, and i am unable to get my camber > -1.5.

Would your shop be willing, or is it even possible to throw the arms into a jig and weld some threaded bungs in so i can run heims on the upper to get my alignment in spec?

18. Apr 22, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.

You sure your frame is not bent? What you are describing is exactly what happens to Toyota frames when you beat on them without an engine cage.
    And you can't just cut off bushing ends and add on threaded bungs. The arms are at a different angle. To do heims the arms need to be near perpendicular to the uca bolt.

19. Apr 22, 2015 at 8:17 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    No doubt it is to some degree, I can notice some warpage on the front body mount. Unfortunately though with my firewall also caving in its the nature of the beast until I can cage this sucker.

But the kit is an older model, I picked it up from ttora from another member a few years ago and I recall reading that tc had geometry issues with the early production models. Specifically I remember sdhq building some trick billet uppers for a few people to fix the problem.

Bummer about the different angles of the upper to the upper control arm bolt, I hate to shell out the cash for tcs heimed uppers to have these arms sit in the garage.

20. Apr 22, 2015 at 9:04 PM
    jeffz0rz

jeffz0rz Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4cyl, 5spd
    And why can't you heim them ? Still a single bolt upper. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Products Discussed in

To Top