DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

what things make a truck not street legal?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
what things make a truck not street legal?

I put this in the LT area cause it seems like a lot of long travel trucks arnt street legal.

I know there are engine mods and such that screw with the smog but what else?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Depends whose streets you're looking to be legal on. Each state has its own laws, and then them federal gub'mint boys have some too.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
i used to drive mine as a dd and have never been pulled over. You drive like a dick you will get pulled over. you are supposed to modify the frame. If you even do a lift on the front of any truck that is illegal. Keep the mud flaps and have fun. Mud flaps seems to be the main thing, i don't have any but whatever.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Mud flats
License plate lights
no side markers (the reflector on your headlights on the sides)
If you are in cali you have to have black covers over your Off-Road lights
Front Blinkers
if you have a V bar on your roll cage

those are really the main things and then there is a bunch a weird laws I have heard people getting pulled over for.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
even the most street illegal cars/trucks can avoid getting pulled over by not blasting music, driving the speed limit, not accelerating hard, and waving and smiley at 5-0 when they pass
Old 08-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
/\ x2
Old 08-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
even the most street illegal cars/trucks can avoid getting pulled over by not blasting music, driving the speed limit, not accelerating hard, and waving and smiley at 5-0 when they pass
x2..

unless its CHP officer who uses the whole front license plate thing to pull you over, talks about his Trail-Gear parts being on his 4runner while checking out the LT kit on your truck ..and then do donuts in the dirt field which he told you to pull over in as you pull away to get back onto the highway hahahahah...true story outside Little Rock Dam just outside of Palmdale
Old 08-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
NV has regulations... but I've seen it all, straight rockcrawlers on the highway etc. It seems that as long as it has brake lights it's acceptable.

I guess if you do the original inspection on a vehicle, get it registered, then after that you can do anything to it.

Most states have a bumper height limit, that might be worth checking into. Tires need to be DOT approved too.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i want to go LT and get a roll cage and such eventually, but i also want to have it street legal
Old 08-22-2010, 11:52 PM   #10
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
x2..

unless its CHP officer who uses the whole front license plate thing to pull you over, talks about his Trail-Gear parts being on his 4runner while checking out the LT kit on your truck ..and then do donuts in the dirt field which he told you to pull over in as you pull away to get back onto the highway hahahahah...true story outside Little Rock Dam just outside of Palmdale
I was pulled out of my truck a few years ago for being stupid and hot boxing. 5 squad cars responded, around 7 cops checked us out, but turned their attention to my truck for the rest of the time. They asked my a bunch of questions about my suspension, lights and stuff, then let me go and told me "stay inside next time you smoke and put a towel under your door"
Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
I'm pretty sure mounting a .50 on the roof or in the bed is illegal.
dangit!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #13
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Street legal and street worthy are two different things.

There are better reasons than the law that will keep you from trying to build a race truck and expecting o have it be a daily driver.