DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

First attempt at building a LT kit

Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
First attempt at building a LT kit

Looking for any advise. I'm getting about 13" of travel but I can't seem to work out the last bit of bump-steer at full droop

This things gonna get plated like crazy

***UPDATE***

Works great.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
First off allow me to say you have balls the size of grape fruit!

There are so many little design angle that need to be worked out it's not funny. Your UCA and LCA's need to work as a unit. If you notice that the length of the LCA, isn't proportional to the UCA.
You need to work out the geometry at key points of the suspension travel. (I assume you already know this) But if you make a mistake the wheel angle will be thrown off at certain points of the suspensions articulation.

It's not as hard to do as people might think. But it is really easy to make a mistake.

Sorry I know this doesn't really help. But I don't think there's anything anyone can do over the internet, to help you.

Good Luck with your project!
Remember to keep good notes of your data!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
looks epic!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery

No shit eh? Good for you dude, it looks to be coming along rather nicely!

Old 08-29-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
GL
Old 08-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Jetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shedJetta1cab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Division
Name: Carlos
Jetta1cab's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, I have absolutely no engineering or fabrication advice to send your way. As mentioned earlier I would definitely keep notes of all your work. Definitely interested in this thread! Good luck!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Dude PM amaes on here...he knows alot about LT! Thats about as much advise as I can give ya

He's in the AZ section
Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
Hey if you have access to a design program? (AutoCad) or some 3d program that will allow you to input your specs and make sure that the spindle stays in the proper position through out the range of articulation. that will really help your R&D!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #10
GETTN IT
th3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
th3bigk0's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3bigk0 View Post
pass that over here
Old 08-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
Camburg :)
Ptowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryce
Ptowntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3bigk0 View Post
me too guys!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
First off allow me to say you have balls the size of grape fruit!

There are so many little design angle that need to be worked out it's not funny. Your UCA and LCA's need to work as a unit. If you notice that the length of the LCA, isn't proportional to the UCA.
You need to work out the geometry at key points of the suspension travel. (I assume you already know this) But if you make a mistake the wheel angle will be thrown off at certain points of the suspensions articulation.

It's not as hard to do as people might think. But it is really easy to make a mistake.

Sorry I know this doesn't really help. But I don't think there's anything anyone can do over the internet, to help you.

Good Luck with your project!
Remember to keep good notes of your data!
Yeah I cycled it about a million times turning every which way till I was happy lol But every little change does make a huge difference on the suspension as a whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
looks epic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post

No shit eh? Good for you dude, it looks to be coming along rather nicely!

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
GL
seriously hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by toku58 View Post
Hey if you have access to a design program? (AutoCad) or some 3d program that will allow you to input your specs and make sure that the spindle stays in the proper position through out the range of articulation. that will really help your R&D!
Just soildworks, autocad, 3ds, and maya 3D lol I just need to get myself motivated to learn em
Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
i envy you
Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #16
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a link that may help a little.

http://www.thedirtforum.com/bumpsteer.htm#Q4
Old 08-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #17
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Dude PM amaes on here...he knows alot about LT! Thats about as much advise as I can give ya

He's in the AZ section
I by no means know alot about LT. I know a ok amount and learn more and more every day by reading for hours on how things work.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #18
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
i envy you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
Wow! I'm impressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
Nice dude!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
Here is a link that may help a little.

http://www.thedirtforum.com/bumpsteer.htm#Q4
good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
I by no means know alot about LT. I know a ok amount and learn more and more every day by reading for hours on how things work.
Me too Dezertrangers is a good source
Old 08-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
Cuz Stock Sucks

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktaco View Post
good info

Me too Dezertrangers is a good source
No problem, And yes there and Race-Dezert are my biggest sources of info. and Since I'm just the office bitch at my work I have hours to read them every day. and then I have made friends with alot of the people I've met so I call/email them with any questions I have. Right now I'm really trying to focus on learning Shock valving and spring rates.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
Can't never could!!!!!
Two