1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ingredients Required for LT

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by ibengineer, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Oct 11, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    That's why I went with full long travel and kept the 4wd.

Would be nice to have the rear linked for the added clearance under the axle but for now I just pay closer attention to tire placement to avoid hooking the leaf springs on the rocks.

2. Oct 11, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    yeah thats true. you could probably get a little more travel out of linked suspension right?

3. Oct 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    3 feet of travel out of a linked rear is not uncommon...in trophy trucks. Once the setup becomes full custom virtually anything is possible.

I already get 18" of travel out of the rear and it's more than enough. With the way my truck is currently set up, other components will break long before the rear numbers are my limiting factor. :)

4. Oct 11, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    oh yeah that is true

5. Oct 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    what size are your rear shocks...???

6. Oct 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    steve u know me to well... lol GNAR!!!!

7. Oct 11, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    18" stroke, 3" diameter, 4-tube bypass with reservoirs.

8. Oct 11, 2010 at 12:58 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    "Once past the end of the shorter tube, oil only flows through 1 tube and thus provides more dampening as the suspension compresses. When the internal piston passes the end of this tube, the internal shim stack alone controls the dampening and the shock can act like a hydraulic bumpstop."
    in this quote from ya about the bypass shock.... u stated that the shim stack alone controls the dampening and then the shock will act like a hydraulic bumpstop.... is thats the case why is that people still get added hydro bumps...??? is it better for the compression... and is that the same for the smoth body with external res???

9. Oct 11, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Generally speaking, shocks control the movement of the suspension, while hydraulic bumpstops change the effective spring rate of the suspension near-to-at full compression.

Shocks will slow the speed at which the suspension compresses. Hydraulic bumpstops will push down on the suspension and help the vehicle return to ride height.

With bypass shocks, the shim stack can be set up to be EXTREMELY firm because the bypass tubes provide the lighter dampening through most of the travel. Once the suspension compresses past the compression tubes, that shim stack drastically dampens the compression. The nitrogen charge in the shock encourages the shock to extend (as it does throughout the full stroke).

You don't want to valve smooth body shocks the same way because your truck will ride like a rock. Valve them as you see fit based on terrain and desired ride comfort and use hydraulic bumpstops to slow things down near full compression.

The ideal is to run bypass shocks with hydraulic bumpstops, which is on my to-do list for the coming year.

10. Oct 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    on the the subject of bumps... can u explain bump steer..??? and thanks again chief....

11. Oct 11, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
  12. Oct 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
  13. Oct 11, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Despite the name, they're unrelated. :)

Thanks!!

14. Oct 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    just figured that out after reading that article... haha

15. Oct 11, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    No problem

Ideally you want no bump steer but it doesn't normally happen. So you would want bump steer at full droop because most of the time you tires are off the ground at full droop so the bump steer doesn't really effect you that much. (This is what I was told the other day)

16. Oct 11, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    does this affect on road conditions as well... granted your tired will not be off the ground when coming into a mall parking lot haha

17. Oct 11, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    Yes, Because at different points of the travel movement your tire is at a different angle to the ground which is sorta like messing with you alignment. It can make steering the truck a little harder. I'm still learning about it so its hard for me to explain really well.

Products Discussed in

To Top