DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Long Travel Driveshaft / Slip Joints

Old 10-11-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Long Travel Driveshaft / Slip Joints

What are the options and what is going to be the best bang for the buck.

So far I've heard of:

1. Using a Tacoma 4x4 axle on a prerunner.
2. Cutting the pre-runner axle and installing a slip joint (what slip joint is best?)
3. Going to a one piece drive shaft. (Heard this is not recommended)

Also what is the story with balancing the driveshaft after installing a long slip joint. Is it necessary no matter what you purchase? What carrier bearing upgrade is good?
Old 10-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
i've got a one-piece but we'll see how that holds up
Old 10-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Tacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Tacorunner87's Tacoma Gallery
If your going to stick with a 2pc driveshaft stick with the factory carrier bearing unless you go to a more custom setup more like a pillow block bearing which Iv seen done. Just dont know how well they hold up But most aftermarket carrier bearings dont hold up as well as the factory one.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
taco?
MotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: emt/cal fire
Name: Nate
MotoXdoer's Tacoma Gallery
two piece drivelive is recommended due to clearance issues. one piece hangs down lower. also the two piece is more secure, the front portion has little movement while the rear section has a high clearance and no issues in movent. i would get a 8" slip yoke installed, and balanced if you get a 4x4 drivine, its not the same length.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
So having an aftermarket slip yoke added is definitely something a shop will have to do?

At what travel is it absolutely necessary to modify the driveline. Mike's SUA only pulls 15 inches.
Talk to Jereel about the slip and i don't know about the second question. Slip you can't do yourself, see if you have a local driveline place around you.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Are the Tom Woods Drive Shafts still recommended?

Another recommendation I got today was inland driveline. They gave me a rough quote of $400 to modify the old shaft. These people came highly recommended by a local.
I hear tom woods are good but when i called them they were dicks so i moded my driveshaft. Jereel charged 350
Old 10-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
I hear tom woods are good but when i called them they were dicks so i moded my driveshaft. Jereel charged 350
i picked mine up for $300
Old 10-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
i picked mine up for $300
from?? not that i care but just sayin for others.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

i picked it up new from a member on TN 2 years ago who bought it in a group buy but didnt want it anymore, but i should have added to my post that its been great so far with my 3" rear
Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
Quote:
i picked it up new from a member on TN 2 years ago who bought it in a group buy but didnt want it anymore, but i should have added to my post that its been great so far with my 3" rear
stock rear you will not have problems, lt the rear and see how she goes. Aaron why don't you drive your truck into downtown? i used to drive mine all the time.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
stock rear you will not have problems, lt the rear and see how she goes. Aaron why don't you drive your truck into downtown? i used to drive mine all the time.
Parking = at least $90 a month
Gas = at least $100 a month

vs

Bus = $75 - $37.5 company public transport compensation = $37.5 a month

= over $160 worth a savings per month
Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
Quote:
Parking = at least $90 a month
Gas = at least $100 a month

vs

Bus = $75 - $37.5 company public transport compensation = $37.5 a month

= over $160 worth a savings per month
public transportaion = but secks with the crazy's. no thanks. get a bike.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
public transportaion = but secks with the crazy's. no thanks. get a bike.
riding a bike equals butt secks with the bike, plus i insist on a condom with the crazies
Old 10-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #16
Quote:
riding a bike equals butt secks with the bike, plus i insist on a condom with the crazies
condom's it is.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #17
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Talk to Jereel about the slip and i don't know about the second question. Slip you can't do yourself, see if you have a local driveline place around you.
website isn't too helpful since he's really into jeep stuff but i'll give him a call tomorrow. $300 is definitely fair. How long did he need your truck for?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:58 PM   #18
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
heres where i go for my stuff...excellent service, does work for many of the top TT, class1 teams and the price is right..my last retube costed 240.00

http://www.drivelinesinc.com/
Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #19
Quote:
website isn't too helpful since he's really into jeep stuff but i'll give him a call tomorrow. $300 is definitely fair. How long did he need your truck for?

that price might be an Engage discount, they did my driveshaft while the truck was in the shop getting the rear done but maybe 2 days i would guess. Give them a call and see if Tom's place can get it done. Shop around.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery