DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Let's talk about alignment (keeping alignment)

Old 10-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Let's talk about alignment (keeping alignment)

What are you guys doing to maintain alignment? I am in need of an alignment after swapping coil overs and I want to see what I can do to hold alignment off road.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Use the Total Chaos alignment tabs and once you get everything straight tack weld the cams. That is the only way aside from converting to heims. If you're on a budget, just get the alignment done and put bigger tacks on the bottom and top of the cams, but they will still probably warp and bend the tabs.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i have a set of light racing upper control arms. they have the 1-1/4'' nut on top that holds the ball joint in place. it's very very strong, but that is the most likely place for my alignment to go bad (if the nut/ball joint slip). when i got it alligned, i had the tech put the ball joint all of the way to the outside of the control arm. twice now, i've hit stuff hard enough off road to slide the ball joint assembly in. all i have to do is losen it, slide it back out, and torque it back to spec. i'd much rather the nut move and have to reset it, than the next weakest point, which would not be a 2 minute fix.

but like what was said above, reinforce the alignment tabs. if you really want to drop some money, you can get the all pro steering upgrade (stronger tie rods, and uniballs instead of ball joints)
Old 10-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
lets see some pics of the new shocks, chase
Old 10-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
I'm already running AP steering, as I'm on AP LT. I'm thinking I'm just gonna have the shop align the truck and mark the tabs.

And I will post pics soon Matt. Fox RR all the way around now. Plus a new rear bumper and front fenders.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed06HAOLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06HAOLE's Tacoma Gallery
I added the Total Chaos alignment tabs and that helped a lot. Also get the Firestone Lifetime alignment warranty for around $130 and never pay for an alignment again. I get an alignment about every 3 months just because.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
I'm already running AP steering, as I'm on AP LT. I'm thinking I'm just gonna have the shop align the truck and mark the tabs.

And I will post pics soon Matt. Fox RR all the way around now. Plus a new rear bumper and front fenders.

That's what I do. Despite hitting a mountain of stuff and taking some abuse the tabs haven't moved. But if they do i'll know about it. And get the life time alignment deal from firestone as was already mentioned.