DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

What shock valving for rear long travel?

Old 10-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
rzimm001's Tacoma Gallery
What shock valving for rear long travel?

To all you long travel guys who have ever played around with your shock valving on the rear setup of a 2nd gen taco. First gen is considerably lighter but if somebody has valving specs for a first gen I'd be interested as well. what shims are you running? I'm not long travel but I'm using 2.5x14 remote resi shocks and I think the valving is a little firm for mobbing through the dezert. Currently I'm running a pyramid stack of .015 thickness shims. I'd say the rear is about 20% more firm than the front Icons I have. Just curious if anyone has a valving spec that has really worked well for them.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
The short answer is their is no valving guide. The long of it is that it depends on your particular setup. Your "firm" valving might seem soft to me, especially on my truck as I have a 1:1 ratio and 1800 lbs sitting on my rear axle. The next factor is that it depends on terrain and speed over the terrain, axle and wheel/tire weight etc. My truck seems firm to most, but I have to really do something stupid to bottom it out and my tires stay planted, so it works for me. Bypass shocks make valving easy because I can turn a screw to dial it in and revalve when I run out of screw, but there really isn't a shortcut for smoothies. Just get a .10 stack and mix and match until you are happy. Get a couple quarts of oil (seems like you always lose some) and head for the desert. You can dial it in with a couple hours of time.

EDIT: I didn't realize you weren't long travel. The stock Icon's are super mushy, revalve those first. It's not a bad idea to bump up the spring rate a notch too. Adrian@ Icon does repair work on thursdays, stop by and see him, might revalve them on the spot for next to nothing...
Old 10-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
Tearmytaco
rzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrzimm001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
The short answer is their is no valving guide. The long of it is that it depends on your particular setup. Your "firm" valving might seem soft to me, especially on my truck as I have a 1:1 ratio and 1800 lbs sitting on my rear axle. The next factor is that it depends on terrain and speed over the terrain, axle and wheel/tire weight etc. My truck seems firm to most, but I have to really do something stupid to bottom it out and my tires stay planted, so it works for me. Bypass shocks make valving easy because I can turn a screw to dial it in and revalve when I run out of screw, but there really isn't a shortcut for smoothies. Just get a .10 stack and mix and match until you are happy. Get a couple quarts of oil (seems like you always lose some) and head for the desert. You can dial it in with a couple hours of time.

EDIT: I didn't realize you weren't long travel. The stock Icon's are super mushy, revalve those first. It's not a bad idea to bump up the spring rate a notch too. Adrian@ Icon does repair work on thursdays, stop by and see him, might revalve them on the spot for next to nothing...
Haha I bought my icons from adrian and have his number on speed dial. I'm always asking him for good setup tips. He's revalved the front once already since I've gotten them. Funny shit

I'm thinking of getting a stack of .010s and see what happens. The icons are definitely soft by pro racing standards but I'm thinking for my situation I would benefit more from softening the rear valving. One question though. Would you say that the front and rear should feel roughly similar in how firm they are. Like I said, I can definitely feel that the front is less firm than the rear. Isn't there a balance to be maintained?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Depends on the terrain. Calico is slow and off camber so soft/soft works great there. Lucerne is mostly fast rollers and g-outs with a few choppy sections so medium front/ soft rear works well there (as long as you aren't bottoming out on either end). Barstow is super gnar rough so firm front medium rear works well there, but the "balance" is more about weight distribution than valving. Get it as close to 50/50 front to rear as you can, with the center of gravity under the "B" pillar. Hard to do with a stock rig though. Either way, as soon as you start bottoming out you have to A) revalve, or B) slow down.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Tearmytaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Depends on the terrain. Calico is slow and off camber so soft/soft works great there. Lucerne is mostly fast rollers and g-outs with a few choppy sections so medium front/ soft rear works well there (as long as you aren't bottoming out on either end). Barstow is super gnar rough so firm front medium rear works well there, but the "balance" is more about weight distribution than valving. Get it as close to 50/50 front to rear as you can, with the center of gravity under the "B" pillar. Hard to do with a stock rig though. Either way, as soon as you start bottoming out you have to A) revalve, or B) slow down.
Definitely makes sense what you're saying.

I talked to Adrian about it and he said that I should just try pulling out some shims. I have a stack of six 015 shims on compression and he suggested I pull out three. I do tend to hit terrain with fast rollers so that sounds like a good start. Is there any perks or drawbacks to having more or fewer shims? I was thinking of just replacing a few 015 shims with .010 shims but like I said before, Adrian suggested just pulling a few out. Opinions?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Fluffer

The shaft speed will increase a little by removing a few, but that's kind of the point. It won't hurt anything to try, and it's free. I like free.