DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

anybody dial in a Chevy 63" leaf set up for speed?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

87xjmike's Tacoma Gallery
anybody dial in a Chevy 63" leaf set up for speed?

posted this in the faq thread but didn't yield a response so here we are...

Has anybody played around with the chevy 63" main leaf over the axle for a high speed set up? By playing around i mean attempt to dail in by adding/removing leaves, playing with shackle lengths and angles combo'd with a shock hoop and properly valved resi shock... I know over the axle is not ideal for speed but chevy leaves don't have enough arc to go under and i'm looking for a cheap long travel leaf set up that i can dial in w/ shocks and a shackle as i'm keeping this rig on the budget due to the mass amount of projects i have w/ limited funds on a college budget.

I know ya'll wanna see 10-11 leaf spring under packs but i'm trying to stay away from that for a couple years untill i can afford to go to a swing arm set up.

I have a 98 single cab 2wd, with a downey mid travel front end and add a leaf/shackle in the back. Rear end isn't cutting it and i need longer leafs. Not trying to compete, just looking to tune better for a fun beater.

i'm allready running a decent set up in the xj (cherokee) but i have a feeling i'm going to wanna drive this 4 banger on road trips to the dez more at the moment as i don't have a tow rig and will enjoy the gas milage.

currently runing a 10 leaf national pack in the back of me xj but i wanna keep this truck bed in the yota in tact for a while and need to focus my finances on the motor/revival of drivetrain so...

me...

looking forward to finally owning a taco, i'll post pics of my yoter this weekend after i snap them
Old 01-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I was gonna do this but I found a 50t pack for 350

How do you like the FOAs? Any leaks?
Old 01-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of87xjmike has much to be proud of

yes of coarse i had leaks, had to take them off and send them back once already. I didn't mind much, great custi service and it was free for a virtual re-build and they added the 90degree bungs i wanted for for my hassle... been beating on them for a while now and they haven't leaked yet, i'm really just counting down the days untill they do though cuz you know they will.

i think they like the differen't mounting location better, little less stress on the lines
Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Are those diagonal tubes even looks like they're landing in different spots?

Did you get the high temp seals?

As for the 63s maybe get a 3" lift pack and run it under axle with out the overload.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktaco View Post
Are those diagonal tubes even looks like they're landing in different spots?

Did you get the high temp seals?

As for the 63s maybe get a 3" lift pack and run it under axle with out the overload.
even no...high temp seals no... It was a first cage build and my first experience w/ 2.5" resi shocks. Lesson learned on both fronts. The cage needs work, shocks...well i'm sure they'll need work soon at which time i may go to the high temps if these leak. I didn't think i needed them as i only use 14" of travel w/ an 18" shock that's no where near engine temps.

Are you talking about an aftermarket 3" lift pack for the 1/2 ton chevy's? like rancho or something? That might be a good idea for geometry for a spring under but i think they might be too stiff. I already found a virtually brand new (from the dealer) chevy pack w/ a beefy 6" shackle for 50 bucks and i wanna try and make this stuff work.
Has anybody had success with these leafs?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87xjmike View Post
even no...high temp seals no... It was a first cage build and my first experience w/ 2.5" resi shocks. Lesson learned on both fronts. The cage needs work, shocks...well i'm sure they'll need work soon at which time i may go to the high temps if these leak. I didn't think i needed them as i only use 14" of travel w/ an 18" shock that's no where near engine temps.

Are you talking about an aftermarket 3" lift pack for the 1/2 ton chevy's? like rancho or something? That might be a good idea for geometry for a spring under but i think they might be too stiff. I already found a virtually brand new (from the dealer) chevy pack w/ a beefy 6" shackle for 50 bucks and i wanna try and make this stuff work.
Has anybody had success with these leafs?
I thought high temp seal were for high temp oil not for high temp engine compartments

Well shit you should get that leaf pack if it doesn't work out just sell it. That's what i did
Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #7

well if a resi is in the engine compartment the oil in the shock will get hotter quicker, that's what i was referring to. These shocks really don't get that hot and i don't think high temp is necessary for this app/set up, FOA just has a shotty seal design. Hopefully they've done some r&d and fixed it as i think i might get them for the rear of the yota or slap on the 12" billy 7100's i have. I'm hoping to get 18's of travel out of the rear chevy pack so i'll most likely end up with an 18" shock. But that may change after mock up...I'll probably have to run a custom sway bar in the rear since it'll be spring over.

What did you do exactly? Did you try the 63's and it handled like shit so you sold them?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
Dezert Toy Fabrication

Nah just just prep'd em sanding ect. Then I changed my mind and sold em for 70 bucks. You should look on Dezert-rangers might find more answers.