DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Diff drop needed?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
Fati Tacoma is a jewel in the roughFati Tacoma is a jewel in the roughFati Tacoma is a jewel in the rough
Fati Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Diff drop needed?

I've been piecing together information on a LT kit for my 2001 Tacoma. Going to go either TC or Camburg. It seems its a toss up based on what everyone is saying.

I'm deployed right now, but have been buying parts for the truck piece by piece. Plan on doing a TON of work on her when I get back!

Got a quick question. Is a diff drop needed, piece of mind, or totally worthless for this set up? I did a search and found ktmrider's answer for the 05s and up (NO) but what about the 95-04s?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
diff drop is only needed with the drop bracket kits. I'm in the process of removing my 6" procomp and installing TC LT and I have to move the diff back up actually.

edit: oops..not sure about 95-04s
Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152129
Old 03-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
diff drop is only needed with the drop bracket kits. I'm in the process of removing my 6" procomp and installing TC LT and I have to move the diff back up actually.

edit: oops..not sure about 95-04s
Pretty sure the entire point of the Gay DB lift is for no diff drop... With a 6" you already sit lower on clearance, why LOWER it more? This makes no sense.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Pretty sure the entire point of the Gay DB lift is for no diff drop... With a 6" you already sit lower on clearance, why LOWER it more? This makes no sense.
The differential IS dropped on a DB lift. The whole point for dropping it is to maintain the same angle on the CVs
Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Fati Tacoma is a jewel in the roughFati Tacoma is a jewel in the roughFati Tacoma is a jewel in the rough
Fati Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with Rondog that the drop kit is to keep the CVs at an angle that isnt so extreme. I was trying to figure out if the LT kit would cause that extreme angle.

Nelson that was a good thread thanks for that link. That pretty much answers my question. Basically it's user preference and driving conditions. Oh and your build is SICK! You basically have done what I'm going for with my truck, I may have to steal an idea or two.

Thanks for input guys! Good riding!