Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

defined engineering

Old 04-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Blaise22 has a spectacular aura aboutBlaise22 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Blaise
Blaise22's Tacoma Gallery
defined engineering

In their spring under conversion does it use the stock mounting points for the shocks and give you an increase in travel or do you need a bedcage no matter what in order to increase your travel in the rear? I have to haul a bike in the back so I cant have cage back there, so im trying to decide which would be better the defined spring under kit or the all pro kit?

http://www.definedengineering.com/products.html
Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
With any spring-under setup, to get the advertised travel numbers you're going to need longer-than-stock shocks with custom mounts.

Giant Motorsports offers a bolt-in bedcage that should still allow you to fit your bikes.

http://giantmotorsports.com/content/view/84/104/
Old 04-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
wow thats perfect. do you need to reposition the mounting point on the axle or is it completely bolt on?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
never mind, stupid question. thanks for the info im definetly going for that setup.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Go here. This thread had some info straight from Defined Engineering about shock hoops on that kit

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ned+shock+hoop
Old 04-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
damn $1,850 is pretty expensive for a cage....
Old 04-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Cost of convenience, I figure. Bolt-in makes it easy for folks without a welder.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Cost of convenience, I figure. Bolt-in makes it easy for folks without a welder.
true, and i know they are completely different, but the Engage bedsaver kit is only like $250 and I bet you can find someone to weld that on for less than $1600
Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #9

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
That's a killer price. Shipping on a weld-it-yourself kit would also be a hell of a lot cheaper. Got any pics?
Old 04-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^Rear end looks good all drooped in that pic

Damn MJP2 is too fast. Make that 2 ^'s up
Old 04-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
That's a killer price. Shipping on a weld-it-yourself kit would also be a hell of a lot cheaper. Got any pics?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/eng...aver-cage.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engage Offroad;1883509
Key Features:
- Made from D.O.M.
- Weld yourself kit
- Includes shock tabs and gussets
- Includes necessary templates and instructions

Retail list - $356

Introductory TW price - $250 plus tax

[IMG
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/Engage-Bed-Saver-Flier-001a.jpg[/IMG]

Contact Engage Offroad or MikesDoubleCab here on TW for purchase info.

on mine:

Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
Señor member

That is beautiful. Any idea if they make anything for a 1st gen like that? Or if anyone does for that matter
Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
That is beautiful. Any idea if they make anything for a 1st gen like that? Or if anyone does for that matter
Im sure they have a similar set up for 1st gens, Mohawk Mike may know more
Old 04-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
$250 is looking nice, how much do you think it would cost for a shop to weld that thing in for me?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
1st gens are harder to make a bedcage that keeps alot of space. 2nd gens are easier because their shocks mount outside the frame rails. on our trucks they mount inside and the gas tank gets in the way of mounting the shocks right behind the cab and saving bed space.

if you swap in a tundra axle you'll have room to mount the shocks outside the frame rail and then you'll have a very easy time to make a simple cage like the engage bedsaver. if you dont, then you'll have to do a more complicated cage similar to mine to keep as much bedspase as possible.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #16
are bedcages custom made for specific sua kits or will any bedcage work with any sua kit?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #17

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
They're more dependent on the the shocks you plan on running than the SUA kit. Most are probably designed to run a 16" travel shock. To run an 18" shock you'd need something slightly taller or more angled to keep the bottom of the shock body even with the bottom of the truck frame.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #18
oh gotcha that makes it easy.

So here are my two options:

1. I go with the defined engineering stage 1 sua kit right now and use my stock length shocks until sometime next year when I can afford a bed cage and longer travel shocks. I will have a set of deavers until I can upgrade but this system will have less travel after its completed than option 2 im assuming, but it says 15" on their website I think that would be plenty for me.

2. I wait until sometime next year and get giants bed cage, sua kit and longer travel shocks all at the same time. If I wait I will have to drive with this POS 2" add a leaf in the rear until I upgrade. This will also cost a little more than option 1.

What do you think is best route? Thanks for all the info by the way ive learned a lot the last few days.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #19
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise22 View Post
oh gotcha that makes it easy.

So here are my two options:

1. I go with the defined engineering stage 1 sua kit right now and use my stock length shocks until sometime next year when I can afford a bed cage and longer travel shocks. I will have a set of deavers until I can upgrade but this system will have less travel after its completed than option 2 im assuming, but it says 15" on their website I think that would be plenty for me.
You'd have to limit this set up, and then get new limiting straps for the next set up, but thats the only problem I see

2. I wait until sometime next year and get giants bed cage, sua kit and longer travel shocks all at the same time. If I wait I will have to drive with this POS 2" add a leaf in the rear until I upgrade. This will also cost a little more than option 1.
I'd pick a cage from a company you like, and, with that in mind, start gathering parts here and there that fit their specs. You can save mad $$$ like that. When all your parts are gathered and rebuilt, order the kit so its installed all in one go.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM   #20

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery