Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Camburg w/King Shocks?

Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
bfogelma is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
bfogelma's Tacoma Gallery
Camburg w/King Shocks?

So on Camburgs website they say that in order to utilize the kit to its full travel numbers you have to have a shock that compresses fully to a length of 14 3/8", otherwise you are not articulating fully... now King's 2.5 8" shock goes from 24" extended to 16" compressed.

DSM has the shocks for a great price and it says on the site that they will valve to your setup for free, but on Camburgs website they offer kings for significantly more and say they are set up perfectly for the kit and for the truck...

My question is how is this achieved exactly? Is this something i could adjust/rebuild myself with shims or something, or is it much more intensive than that? Is it even a huge deal? the price difference is about 400 bucks, so if i can get the regular ones from DSM i would love to do that. I havent called DSM or Camburg to ask them these questions directly, but i was just wondering if anyone here had some insight or advice for me.
Thanks!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
if you know how king valved the shocks for Camburg then you could revalve them yourself

oh which would cost $125-175 for both shocks unless you did it yourself.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Tacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Tacorunner87's Tacoma Gallery
You can call king up, tell them your setup. They should be able to tell you a valving that will work pretty good for your setup. I bet downsouth motorsports can get you pretty damn close on valving. But doing the valving yourself is not hard. I have not pulled kings apart but Iv pulled swayaways and fox apart and there pretty simple.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I always thought that valving was kind of a secret of the trade. If you wanted the shocks revalved for your application you either do it yourself or tell them what you want and they do it for you. Never knew you could call them up and specifically ask them what shims to use for what you want.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Op - your doing it backwards. Get your UCA's and shocks from DSMS. UCA's can be gotten anywhere with no need for technical help. Shocks on the other hand should be left to the pro's...and I'm not talking about the "shock warehouses" that just play middle man.

DSMS offers custom valving for free before you get the shocks and if you still don't like the valving they offer a 1 time free re-valve after you have the shocks (you pay shipping to & from). DSMS also offers their own warranty on all their King shocks that piggy backs the King warranty.

You should also be concerned with spring rate. I did not get the typical spring rate when I got my Kings from DSMS. I ended up going with a 700# King spring to offset the weight of a steel plate bumper and winch. I'm also a 2nd gen but it's all relative.
Im actually getting the full LT kit from Camburg, not just UCAs
Old 06-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Toyota Its Like A Jeep Thing Only Better
Socalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Socalrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Order them from DSM tell them you want them valved for the camburg LT. they will order them straight from king with the correct valving. That is what they did for me with my engage set up. King will not release valving specs for LT kits without permission.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalrunner View Post
Order them from DSM tell them you want them valved for the camburg LT. they will order them straight from king with the correct valving. That is what they did for me with my engage set up. King will not release valving specs for LT kits without permission.
Thank you Sir, thats pretty much exactly what i needed to know!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #8

so called DSM, they said that in order to get that lower compressed length of 14 3/8" you pretty much have to just pony up and order them from camburg directly, because they were made specifically for camburg...
Old 06-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
both camburg and TC kits are 3.5" over per side and cycle 13" of travel

so i guess in order to get camburgs full 13" of travel you have to buy "special" camburg specific coilovers, which are very overpriced to get their full 13" or you can pick up some "normal" coilovers for a very reasonable price from DSM and get a TC kit and still get the same travel numbers...

even if the camburg kit cycled a little bit more than the TC kit, it would be like half an inch... the cost to get that extra half and inch is so not worth it, espcially when travel numbers only mean so much... it really come down to shock valving to get the best performance out of the kit

also, you are 4WD so you are going to want to limit your kit to 12-13" no matter what because you will have CV's to worry about and you'll be tearing boots every trip if you let the kit cycle more than that

i'm 2WD and i have my TC kit strapped at 12"
Old 06-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i bet if you pick up a camburg kit and ordered some CO's from DSM you would never be able to tell the difference if you have gotten the CO's from camburg
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #11

ya, i was kinda figuring just going with TC, but then i looked it up... TC from ORW (even with a discount code) and Kings from DSM come out to about 3800 tax included, whereas Camburg, even with the expensive shocks, is still at around 3500.... anywhere to get TC cheaper?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #12

nope. TC is going to be about $300 more no matter what

TC stuff is expensive... but the best IMO

TC fully backs their products and has great customer service and support... camburg not so much

call up TC, then call camburg... you'll see what i mean
Old 06-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
both camburg and TC kits are 3.5" over per side and cycle 13" of travel

so i guess in order to get camburgs full 13" of travel you have to buy "special" camburg specific coilovers, which are very overpriced to get their full 13" or you can pick up some "normal" coilovers for a very reasonable price from DSM and get a TC kit and still get the same travel numbers...

even if the camburg kit cycled a little bit more than the TC kit, it would be like half an inch... the cost to get that extra half and inch is so not worth it, espcially when travel numbers only mean so much... it really come down to shock valving to get the best performance out of the kit

also, you are 4WD so you are going to want to limit your kit to 12-13" no matter what because you will have CV's to worry about and you'll be tearing boots every trip if you let the kit cycle more than that

i'm 2WD and i have my TC kit strapped at 12"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
nope. TC is going to be about $300 more no matter what

TC stuff is expensive... but the best IMO

TC fully backs their products and has great customer service and support... camburg not so much

call up TC, then call camburg... you'll see what i mean

THIS ^^^
Old 06-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
THIS ^^^
i rule
Old 06-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
^Not 100% true. The king shocks I got from DSM were sometihng like $975 with TW discount. They are the same price as "normal" kings. The only difference is the top cap is an "overcap design" that allows it to collapse to a shorter length. If you call DSM they will hook you up with the exact King shock that Camburg has on their webcite. So my price for coilovers was $975 and the Camburg kit was $2100. That considerably less than TC and you get the same travel #'s. Plus Camburg gets a bumstop and plated lower arms and heimed lower arms.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
^Not 100% true. The king shocks I got from DSM were sometihng like $975 with TW discount. They are the same price as "normal" kings. The only difference is the top cap is an "overcap design" that allows it to collapse to a shorter length. If you call DSM they will hook you up with the exact King shock that Camburg has on their webcite. So my price for coilovers was $975 and the Camburg kit was $2100. That considerably less than TC and you get the same travel #'s. Plus Camburg gets a bumstop and plated lower arms and heimed lower arms.
thats cool that you found another route to go

but basically it sounds like camburg is trying to rip of their customers by saying they have to run their "special" shocks to get full performance out of their kit...

when in reality it's not true... nice

and camburg still has shit customer service... sorry
Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
just called DSM and they said that they couldnt get me the same shock as Camburg can, otherwise i would have...
Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #18
wstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud of

Name: jay
wstcstriderz's Tacoma Gallery
Im with matt on this one for sure!!! i watched the hype about there kit as they were introducing it over on ttora a couple years ago now i think,i cant tell you how many times i tried to get questions answered.. and nothing.. same for the rear kits that they talked about.. they left me one message saying that they were looking for a truck to cutup/demo for there sua kit,and i could never get anyone after that??what a joke....tc/dmz all the way no bullshit i did see a shop on race dezert that had pretty good pricing on king's as well.. think it was called filthy motorsports?? ill check on that
Old 06-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #19
wstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud of

Name: jay
wstcstriderz's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.filthymotorsports.com/default.asp here it is....
Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #20

problem solved, called the truck shop to talk to James about the best price for a TC kit, and he says he's got a slightly used kit with all new bushings etc for 1500 so i went down and bought that!