DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

locking rear shocks

Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
locking rear shocks

I saw a member on here who had pad locks through the bolts holding his rear shocks. I want to do the same. I bought a couple grade 8s that fit with some extra thread...question is how hard is it to drill through a grade 8?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
gonna try these: http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Master-Lock/262DAT.html
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
God damn.........people will steal your shocks???

I believe it's time to move.
It can happen anywhere though. Removing 4 bolts does not take long at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
I've never used them. I only drilled through grade 8 bolt once for a similar application, I had a drill press and it took 2 bits and a little bit of time, but it is possible.

Times are tough and those Kings are a pretty $$$. But yah, if I ever caught somebody wrenching on my truck trying to swipe parts, better hope they work nascar fast or that would be their last heist.
yeah I would really hate to lose those. I know it isn't impossible for them to steal them even with that lock, but I can at least make it harder
Old 06-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i always wondered about that. comeon people have to have shocks jacked off their stuff?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Any good thief would just take the whole truck and part it out later..
Old 06-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Any good thief would just take the whole truck and part it out later..
risk doing that or get a nice set of tripple bypasses for 4 bolts....
Old 06-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
i think i remember looking through Special_K's build and he has locks on his shocks
Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
risk doing that or get a nice set of tripple bypasses for 4 bolts....
ok so lets say said thief looks under there to steal your shocks...uh oh they are padlocked

no biggie...pop the window, pop the steering column...start truck with screwdriver

drive to location with sawzall...remove locks...remove shocks...remove other expensive parts

burn truck
Old 06-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
ok so lets say said thief looks under there to steal your shocks...uh oh they are padlocked

no biggie...pop the window, pop the steering column...start truck with screwdriver

drive to location with sawzall...remove locks...remove shocks...remove other expensive parts

burn truck
Small wiring changes will fix that. In the bought time, a shotgun with a few beanbags will straiten that thief out.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
My SAWs are so rusted over, no thief would want to get near that lol
Old 06-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Banned
it could still help a theif to move onto the next truck. lets say a inexperienced theif that doesnt know how to do the column tihng to a truck.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #12
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
Its very easy to drill though. I used my dremel with the drill bit tool and made smalls holes to lock my high lift in the bed of my truck.

Best pic i have.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

burn truck

It take a lot more balls to steal the whole vehicle than taking the shocks. I can at least weed out the less ballsier thieves by doing this. Plus I have an alarm on my truck so it would go off if the window is broken or the door is opened
Old 06-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
your TW web developer!

rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
it could still help a theif to move onto the next truck. lets say a inexperienced theif that doesnt know how to do the column tihng to a truck.
+1
Old 06-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
I would think they'd be more apt to cut the bolt that try to drill it out in which case that piece of hardware is useless. It may deter them slightly but if they're going to go through the effort, they'll get them off somehow.

Just out of curiousity, for you guys running higher end, expensive suspension set-ups, would insurance cover you for something like that?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
ThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThatGuy18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
ThatGuy18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Still.............stealing fucking shocks off a truck?? Come the fuck on.

Guess it's just the area I live in.
x2
Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #17
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Just out of curiousity, for you guys running higher end, expensive suspension set-ups, would insurance cover you for something like that?
what he said, also if you get into an accident with a LT'd truck, does insurance cover it all?
Old 06-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
that would depend in the insurance agency...and how youve got your policy set up
Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
My insurance covers everything on my truck as long as I have a receipt for it
Old 06-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
Xbox GT: Yodaman8806
Underdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnderdog777 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Ground Support Shop Foreman/HAZMAT NCO, 1916 SPT BTN, 699th Maintenance Co.
Name: Matt
Underdog777's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
that would depend in the insurance agency...and how youve got your policy set up
x2 In most cases if you lift your ride, and do not disclose to your insurance company that you have, and some crap happens, they could null and void your policy. The job of underwriters is to determine what the lift changes about the vehicle in their eyes, not to us as gear heads.