DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

need some help with some stuff for my front LT soon to come set up.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
need some help with some stuff for my front LT soon to come set up.

so i will be getting the following...
camburg LT kit.
Tundra 1st gen axels
TC spindle gussets
shock tower mount gussets
i will also be gusseting my motor mounts ETC.
i will be strapping it at 12 inches of travel i think.

So now is where i need some help.
when going with hydrolic bump stops, whats the difference between king/fox? nothing?

also do i need 4inch, 2.5 bumps, 4 inch 2.0 bumps? which ones and why??

and for bypasses for the back i am pretty dam sure im going to go with tripple bypases. but most run double.

i will be fully caging my truck, running 2 spare tires, 32 gallon jaz fuel cell, blah blah. so i will have alot of weight so tripple bypasses are a must correct?

i will have alot more questions for the rear later on..

thanks in advance!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
i was reading up on fuel cells youll want to get a fuelsafe fuel cell cause they have the fuel bladder inside and crap which is an absolute must for racing so your better off saving the money and picking that up instead
Old 06-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
i was reading up on fuel cells youll want to get a fuelsafe fuel cell cause they have the fuel bladder inside and crap which is an absolute must for racing so your better off saving the money and picking that up instead

what do you mean by fuel bladder??
Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
also i thought the 2.0 bumps are 2in travel and the 2.5s are 4in?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Banned
Quote:
also i thought the 2.0 bumps are 2in travel and the 2.5s are 4in?

Must.... do... more.... research.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #6

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
what do you mean by fuel bladder??
fuelsafe has an internal bladder that holds the gas the tank is just the protection for it and it will actually prevent leakage in a rollover jaz fuel cells and others like them dont have that they say they have roll over vents but they dont work like the bladder. its a requirement for racing.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
Banned
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/part...ies/140986.htm 2.0 4 inch bumps?

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/part...ies/141479.htm 2.5 4 inch bumps?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #8

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
just looked it up the 2.0 and 2.5 bumps come in 2 and 4in travel
Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Banned
Quote:
fuelsafe has an internal bladder that holds the gas the tank is just the protection for it and it will actually prevent leakage in a rollover jaz fuel cells and others like them dont have that they say they have roll over vents but they dont work like the bladder. its a requirement for racing.

dang thanks ill make sure to get that one!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #10

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
i would go 2.5, im going with 2.5 everything on my truck for peace of mind and if i ever wanted to upgrade something later i wouldnt have to worry about upgrading to 2.5 if the 2.0 parts couldnt handle something....

but im no expert
Old 06-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #11

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
dude just pm mjp2 hes got all the answers and lives on tw
Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #12
Banned
Quote:
i would go 2.5, im going with 2.5 everything on my truck for peace of mind and if i ever wanted to upgrade something later i wouldnt have to worry about upgrading to 2.5 if the 2.0 parts couldnt handle something....

but im no expert

ok so im going to go with 2.5s.

now for bypasses....
Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #13
Banned
Quote:
dude just pm mjp2 hes got all the answers and lives on tw
lol i pmed him yesterday asking some questions, if i dont get my answers answered here ill ask him later, dont want to bother him too much ha
Old 06-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #14

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
pfft he lives for TW..
Old 06-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #15

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Depending upon make and model, some bypass shocks can offer multiple tubes to the shock body, typically one for rebound and one for compression. Some of which have multiple, adjustable check valves to control the metering of compression and the metering of rebound.
Adding fuel to the fire, yet another reason why bypass shocks are the best of all dampeners is because they’re not only velocity-sensitive like all other shock absorbers, but they are also position-sensitive as well. What does this mean? Simply put, these shocks can use a variable metering system that allows the shock to offer a much softer rebound and/or compression rate initially, and increase the dampening effect as the compression or rebound increases, similar to progressive coil springs. The really cool part? If you have the cash, all of these aspects of a bypass shock can be built to your needs and adjusted based upon the type of wheeling you do.

just found that.. might help you out
Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #16

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
another thought is to give DSM a call and ask them which bypass you should get for your application and which would work best for your truck and lt set up etc
Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Did someone say my name?

For the front, you want 2" diameter, 2.5" travel bumpstops. With IFS and the bump striking on the LCA, that 2.5" travel will translate to over 5" of travel at the wheel.

For the rear you'll want 2" diameter, 4" travel bumps because the travel is linear.

The fuel bladder thing was covered above but I'll reiterate because I like to hear myself talk. Racing organizations require a metal fuel cell of a defined strength, and within that they require an approved bladder to contain the fuel in the event that the metal can gets punctured. In addition to that, the rubber bladder is filled with foam to minimize any fuel spray in the event that both the can and bladder are punctured.

If you're building for racing, buy the rulebook for whatever race organization and build to their safety specs. Generally, if you build to SCORE specs you'll be fine in any sanctioning organization. You'll also want to pick a class so you know you meet the rules while building, or run Sportsman (basically run what ya brung) so you can build your dream truck without worrying about rules beyond the safety requirements.

Your bumped and strapped travel numbers will be determined by CV binding. Make sure you set the suspension limits before hitting the CV limits or you'll have an expensive mess on your hands after awhile.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #18
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Painful detail on bypass shocks:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...ml#post1044823
Old 06-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #19

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
By the way, the reason I recommend 2" diameter bumpstops for your truck is twofold.

1. Your truck isn't heavy enough to necessitate 2.5" bumps. Those would be for a fullsize or trophy truck weighting 6000+ lbs.

2. You'll have a hell of a time fitting the coilover, bypass shock, limit strap, axle, and steering linkage on each side even without the bumpstop. Squeezing a 2" bump in there will probably require a custom gusseted tab coming off the end of the LCA as it is. The 2.5" bump would require some Harry Houdini work to fit with everything else.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #20

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
omg i love information..
i <3 mjp2