DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

What Bumper is this?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #41
wstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud ofwstcstriderz has much to be proud of

Name: jay
wstcstriderz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HAOLE View Post
Just wanted to chime in. If youve ever bought a sheet of 1/4" aluminum your spending some coin. Add that with the steel and hardware and your over a grand for a good DOM .120 wall bumper. Thats no labor, no TIG welding, no 4130 chromo and no shop time.

The fit and finish on SDHQ fabrication is amazing. I was fortunate enough to visit the shop and its everything its cracked up to be. Serena showed me the FJ, an MRAP (google if you dont know), her Bug, and multiple Raptor builds.

Its on an entire different level than most shops out there.
Nice to see you still check up on us every once in a while still helpin with the 7 truck etc..??
Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #42
El Pitufo
Marioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarioso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marioso's Tacoma Gallery
go to Perry Mcneils Fab shop, theyll make one for 600
Old 07-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #43
Bookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Bookworm's Tacoma Gallery
so what's the benefit to this gnarly-ass bumper except that it'll block a few more rocks/bushes than a bumper with less frontal coverage? (that and it makes your truck look like it was crossed with the F117)
Old 07-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #44
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
so what's the benefit to this gnarly-ass bumper except that it'll block a few more rocks/bushes than a bumper with less frontal coverage? (that and it makes your truck look like it was crossed with the F117)

quality. read below VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghost View Post
Ill help...

Its all constructed from 4130 Radius Bent .120 wall Tubing, entirely Tig welded, Boxed 4130 plasma cut frame horns, full 1/4 aluminum skids and theres over 5 days of aluminum work on the front of that bumper alone. thats alot of man hours.

with most shops you will get HREW or Mild steel or DOM if your really lucky, it will have half the number of bends in it and probably .90 wall tubing. if your lucky enough to find a shop that will build boxed horns and not tubed most likely they will be cut by hand off a template and absolutely not 4130, and NOBODY else will TIG weld it for you its all MIG.

Thats why that bumper is $3k and they price most likely wont be getting any cheaper.

Ive said it once, Ill say it again. You get what you pay for and with SDHQ you are paying for the best. That K&R Bumper is cool but to put it on the same level as an SDHQ build is laughable (no offense) Theres a reason why people like Jesse James, Tony Stewart, Luis Gonzalez and other big name clients continue to take their vehicles there. I am a happy SDHQ customer and will continue to take my vehicles to them for years to come for that signature fit and finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
This ^^^

I'm at the shop once a week normally to go help with their 5/1600 bug and to just go and hang out. I watch their guys put trucks together and its amazing. The fact they can create something like what comes out of their shop is amazing. The welding and bending and notching is perfect. The tig welds are always on the spot. SDHQ hires the best guys that they can find so that their products are great. One of the guys used to work for Geiser Bros building Trophy trucks. When you have grade A talent working at a shop thats why people go to them and have them build something. Yes a garage fabber could build you something for less but you won't be getting the same product or service.

As far as shop fees, their fees on stuff is less then taking you junk to a dealer to have them do something. paying for custom fab isn't cheap and the material used isn't either
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06HAOLE View Post
Just wanted to chime in. If youve ever bought a sheet of 1/4" aluminum your spending some coin. Add that with the steel and hardware and your over a grand for a good DOM .120 wall bumper. Thats no labor, no TIG welding, no 4130 chromo and no shop time.

The fit and finish on SDHQ fabrication is amazing. I was fortunate enough to visit the shop and its everything its cracked up to be. Serena showed me the FJ, an MRAP (google if you dont know), her Bug, and multiple Raptor builds.

Its on an entire different level than most shops out there.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #45
Bookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Bookworm's Tacoma Gallery
so it's just stronger? How often do people wreck their prerunner bumpers as is? Does it increase the overall stiffness/strength of the truck/build? Does it let you run over priuses with impunity?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #46
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
so it's just stronger? How often do people wreck their prerunner bumpers as is? Does it increase the overall stiffness/strength of the truck/build? Does it let you run over priuses with impunity?

if you drive a prerunner like its meant to be drove. you want a strong one. i bent 1/4 inch thick steel on mine already.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #47
Banned
03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
03taco's Tacoma Gallery
question why does sdhq have an mrap in the shop?
Old 07-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #48
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03taco View Post
they have a VERY VERY broad list of clients from regular joes, to race teams, to private security contractors
Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #49
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03taco View Post
There is a company that has a few of them for what they do and they take them to have them worked on on the shop. Both to get fixed or to get upgrades made to them
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #51
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Probably a stupid question. But why would you TIG weld a bumper when MIG welding will do. Especially on a bumper?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #52
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

Air Force: C-5 Loadmaster
Name: Scotty
Lil'Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
Camburg, I had them quote me for the same bumper over a year ago and it was a little over a grand IIRC..
Heres his build:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-lt-build.html
sweet thanks. I'm looking for a bumper built like this. I have found several from different places but I really don't want to have to drive all the way from Sac area in order to get it done. There is a decent shop near me that has some narly 6x6 builds going on in their shop and do great welding but need some specifics on bumpers to let them know what I want.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #53
Lil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud ofLil'Taco has much to be proud of

Air Force: C-5 Loadmaster
Name: Scotty
Lil'Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
Not sure exactly where Infamous Metal Works is but they're up north and do great work from the pictures I've seen..worth a shot.
Ah yeah, Santa Clara/ San Jose area. That's not to far, do able if I can get the right bumper made up. Thanks for that I didn't know they were that close.