DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Rear Setup/Dimensions?

Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #21
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Radd.KO View Post
Wow the knowledge of the people on this site is amazing.
What are the factors of 134,567,248?

I have a few more specific questions about Rear LT Setups.
Your explaination of how to position the top mounts makes sense to me.
I'm thinking that a guy could use the stock axle mounts to swing the new shock, you could use a long bar to slide through the axle mount and shock to make sure it's in the right position so the newer, larger body doesnt hit the frame.
What are the advantages, then, of placing your axle mounts in different positions? Is it mostly just personal preference/convenience?
I've heard that the higher angle your shocks are placed at the more heat they will produce. Im assuming that this is because a shock mounted at a 15 degree angle would have to move more in order to produce, say 6'' of travel, than a shock mounted dead vertical.

BTW Nick, any particular reason for choosing Engages box? I've been checking out Giant motorsports', (Oooh... that sounds dirty...) but im not sure if i will go with their LT kit now... so its up in the air i guess.
2nd gen shock mounts are different so I am not sure about the lower mounts. 1st gens use the ubolt plates to double as a lower shock mount, so they cannot be reused.

For the angle of the shock it depends on how much travel you get in your springs and how much travel your shocks are. Example: if your leaf springs travel 18" and your shocks only travel 9" then you would have to put them at 45 degrees to let 9" shocks travel the full 18". The shock actually travels less but you have to bump up the valving so it can be as effective due to the extra leverage, so it gets hotter. Also an 18" shock would have more oil to keep it cooler. Ideally you would want the same travel shock and spring so you can mount them vertical and eliminate these issues
Old 01-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #22
Cheeba Chief
Nicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Nicks4x4LT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Radd.KO View Post
Wow the knowledge of the people on this site is amazing.
What are the factors of 134,567,248?

I have a few more specific questions about Rear LT Setups.
Your explaination of how to position the top mounts makes sense to me.
I'm thinking that a guy could use the stock axle mounts to swing the new shock, you could use a long bar to slide through the axle mount and shock to make sure it's in the right position so the newer, larger body doesnt hit the frame.
What are the advantages, then, of placing your axle mounts in different positions? Is it mostly just personal preference/convenience?
I've heard that the higher angle your shocks are placed at the more heat they will produce. Im assuming that this is because a shock mounted at a 15 degree angle would have to move more in order to produce, say 6'' of travel, than a shock mounted dead vertical.

BTW Nick, any particular reason for choosing Engages box? I've been checking out Giant motorsports', (Oooh... that sounds dirty...) but im not sure if i will go with their LT kit now... so its up in the air i guess.
The main deciding factor was price, Also i need my bedspace. Engage is really close to me as well.