DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Rear Setup/Dimensions?

Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
ironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud of

Name: Jonathan
ironman_jon's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Setup/Dimensions?

Looking at starting my long travel and I have a friend that will fab up some rear shock hoops/cage for me I just need to know the dimensions needed for the set up . How would I go about finding those or is there someone on here that can give them to me. This place is full of knowledge so Im sure there is someone on here that can help me with this.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman_jon View Post
Looking at starting my long travel and I have a friend that will fab up some rear shock hoops/cage for me I just need to know the dimensions needed for the set up . How would I go about finding those or is there someone on here that can give them to me. This place is full of knowledge so Im sure there is someone on here that can help me with this.

Thanks
Well I know the way you measure the length of shocks you need and
where they go, you buy your new leaf pack, mount it up how you want, ie spring under axle, then take all your leafs out except for the main one mounted to shackles, then you can flex your axle, and see its range of movement!

let me find a post on ttora...
the guy reall seemed to know what he was talking about...

Edit: cant find it sorry.. but there are alot of guys on here who can answer this for sure.

also there is a company that makes some really cool custom set ups...

http://www.infamousmetalworks.com/

Old 08-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
Well I know the way you measure the length of shocks you need and
where they go, you buy your new leaf pack, mount it up how you want, ie spring under axle, then take all your leafs out except for the main one mounted to shackles, then you can flex your axle, and see its range of movement!

let me find a post on ttora...
the guy reall seemed to know what he was talking about...

Edit: cant find it sorry.. but there are alot of guys on here who can answer this for sure.

also there is a company that makes some really cool custom set ups...

http://www.infamousmetalworks.com/
Thats pretty much it. You have to cycle your suspension. You want to build the cage around how your suspension cycles or you will lose travel.

What you do is fully compress your shocks (bleed all the air out), mount them on your axle and fully compress the suspension (with only main leaf as described). Take a piece of cardboard or wood or something and put a marker in the top eyelet of the shock. Swing it back and forth to make an arc on the cardboard. Now fully extend your shocks and fully extend your leafs and do the same thing. The two arc's you made should intersect at one point. That is where you want your shocks to be mounted
Old 08-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
Thats pretty much it. You have to cycle your suspension. You want to build the cage around how your suspension cycles or you will lose travel.

What you do is fully compress your shocks (bleed all the air out), mount them on your axle and fully compress the suspension (with only main leaf as described). Take a piece of cardboard or wood or something and put a marker in the top eyelet of the shock. Swing it back and forth to make an arc on the cardboard. Now fully extend your shocks and fully extend your leafs and do the same thing. The two arc's you made should intersect at one point. That is where you want your shocks to be mounted
when i go to brandons when hes doing my bed cage to see where i need to mout my shocks would you come with and help me?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
hot damn, that white tacoma is super nice
Old 08-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a link to everything you need to know. http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/ar...ar-suspension/

Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
when i go to brandons when hes doing my bed cage to see where i need to mout my shocks would you come with and help me?
Hell yeah I'll come with. When is that gonna be?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
ironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud of

Name: Jonathan
ironman_jon's Tacoma Gallery
lots of help... that why i love this site. thanks guys for researching and finding out the info for me
Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hell yeah I'll come with. When is that gonna be?

idk... im going to get 33s before i go LT, soo... not for a couple months. and i just got a boat
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Cheeba Chief
Nicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Nicks4x4LT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Can anyone elaborate on this a little more? It wouldn't seem like the arcs would ever intersect.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
like this home skillet

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lon...ml#post3892929
Old 01-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
Cheeba Chief
Nicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
i love you...no homo exactly what i was looking for! thanks man
Old 01-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #13
Good glad it helped
Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Cheeba Chief

Quote:
Good glad it helped
would you happen to have any pictures of your lower shock mounts, i know one side of the shock has to be fixed in one spot when your making your arcs so can i use the stock lower mounting points or do i need new ones?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks4x4LT View Post
would you happen to have any pictures of your lower shock mounts, i know one side of the shock has to be fixed in one spot when your making your arcs so can i use the stock lower mounting points or do i need new ones?
You either need to buy or make new lower shock mounts. I just made these over the weekend

Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #16
Cheeba Chief

Quote:
You either need to buy or make new lower shock mounts. I just made these over the weekend

How do you determine where to mount the lower mounts then?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Señor member

Quote:
How do you determine where to mount the lower mounts then?
People move them all over the place. Some mount just above the axle with small tabs and some mount off the back of the axle (like mine). The main thing is cylcing the suspension to make sure the upper mount is correct.

Its hard to explain but if you mount your lowers say 1 inch higher, then it will end up making the "arc" one inch higher up top too. You just need to make sure the uppers you make will cycle correctly with the lowers

Who is building your bedcage?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
Cheeba Chief

Quote:
People move them all over the place. Some mount just above the axle with small tabs and some mount off the back of the axle (like mine). The main thing is cylcing the suspension to make sure the upper mount is correct.

Its hard to explain but if you mount your lowers say 1 inch higher, then it will end up making the "arc" one inch higher up top too. You just need to make sure the uppers you make will cycle correctly with the lowers

Who is building your bedcage?
Its engages bedsaver kit
Old 01-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #19
Señor member

Quote:
Its engages bedsaver kit
Ahhh so the uppers are pretty much already made then. Ummm for that I am not sure. I know a few members on here have the kit but best bet would be to contact Engage
Old 01-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
B.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shedB.Radd.KO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blanalin
B.Radd.KO's Tacoma Gallery
Wow the knowledge of the people on this site is amazing.
What are the factors of 134,567,248?

I have a few more specific questions about Rear LT Setups.
Your explaination of how to position the top mounts makes sense to me.
I'm thinking that a guy could use the stock axle mounts to swing the new shock, you could use a long bar to slide through the axle mount and shock to make sure it's in the right position so the newer, larger body doesnt hit the frame.
What are the advantages, then, of placing your axle mounts in different positions? Is it mostly just personal preference/convenience?
I've heard that the higher angle your shocks are placed at the more heat they will produce. Im assuming that this is because a shock mounted at a 15 degree angle would have to move more in order to produce, say 6'' of travel, than a shock mounted dead vertical.

BTW Nick, any particular reason for choosing Engages box? I've been checking out Giant motorsports', (Oooh... that sounds dirty...) but im not sure if i will go with their LT kit now... so its up in the air i guess.