DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

General Fabrication

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #1281
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckyTruck View Post
Could anyone recommend a good sheet metal brake? cant afford anything crazy, but need something that will do several projects. good place to find a used one? thanks!
Swag offroad press brake and a harbor freight 20 ton shop press
Old 08-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #1282
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't think so. A lot of the ones I find for sale do 18 gauge max. I may be asking for something that eill cost me a fortune. Some of the ones I'm finding are pretty damn expensive. Hopefully I can find something used.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #1283
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Saw some diy ones that people made, but I guess those are for pretry thin metal
Yeah, either only bend super thin metal, or still cost thousands to build a larger hydraulic brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
Yep, its a great option for everything 19" and less. Love mine, bend tons of brackets on it and only runs around $400 including the press.
Quote:
I didn't think so. A lot of the ones I find for sale do 18 gauge max. I may be asking for something that eill cost me a fortune. Some of the ones I'm finding are pretty damn expensive. Hopefully I can find something used.
Yeah even for one used that size you're looking at a press that will cost several thousand dollars, as well as weigh several thousand pounds and probably require 3phase 220v power.
I've been looking into buying a 6ft-8ft size brake for my shop and the cost will be around $20,000-35,000.

Metal working isnt cheap when you start playing with big parts, I would recommend the small swag press kit, and then farming out the large bends at a local sheet metal shop for $10-20 per bend. Been doing that for years, and I do a fair bit of volume; i'm just now to the point where it makes sense for me to buy my own brake for the shop.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #1284
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That stuff isn't cheap. Even used. Eric's idea of using someone for the big stuff isn't such a bad idea at least until you have the income stream to warrant spending the money.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #1285
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Thought the welding thread was the fab thread. Guess I was wrong
Old 08-31-2013, 06:43 AM   #1286
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Yeah, either only bend super thin metal, or still cost thousands to build a larger hydraulic brake.

Yep, its a great option for everything 19" and less. Love mine, bend tons of brackets on it and only runs around $400 including the press.

Yeah even for one used that size you're looking at a press that will cost several thousand dollars, as well as weigh several thousand pounds and probably require 3phase 220v power.
I've been looking into buying a 6ft-8ft size brake for my shop and the cost will be around $20,000-35,000.

Metal working isnt cheap when you start playing with big parts, I would recommend the small swag press kit, and then farming out the large bends at a local sheet metal shop for $10-20 per bend. Been doing that for years, and I do a fair bit of volume; i'm just now to the point where it makes sense for me to buy my own brake for the shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
That stuff isn't cheap. Even used. Eric's idea of using someone for the big stuff isn't such a bad idea at least until you have the income stream to warrant spending the money.
Ok thanks guys. Ill check out the swag press. 20-30k... yikes!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #1287
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Sub'd
Thought the welding thread was the fab thread. Guess I was wrong
me too, thanks to Mr.ian i foundthis
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #1288
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
guess I'll contribute. just a couple of pics already uploaded.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #1289
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone looking to pick up a tube bender? I have a manual JMR converted to electric Hydro, 2 dies 1.75x110 degree 1.5x240 degree. Billet degree wheel, Hydro bend stop, 1.5HP pump and 30" ram it does 120 degree bends in a single stroke. Notcher not included.

It's been a great bender we just needed something faster and repeatable to speed up production. so I just picked up a computer programmable BAILEIGH RDB-250 and 10' Index table 180 degree bends in 9 seconds

These are older pics of when it was converted to Electric Hydro

Old 10-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #1290
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Anyone looking to pick up a tube bender? I have a manual JMR converted to electric Hydro, 2 dies 1.75x110 degree 1.5x240 degree. Billet degree wheel, Hydro bend stop, 1.5HP pump and 30" ram it does 120 degree bends in a single stroke. Notcher not included.

It's been a great bender we just needed something faster and repeatable to speed up production. so I just picked up a computer programmable BAILEIGH RDB-250 and 10' Index table 180 degree bends in 9 seconds

These are older pics of when it was converted to Electric Hydro

I actually am in the market for one but shipping would kill it.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #1291
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
I actually am in the market for one but shipping would kill it.
About 150.00 to ship it to TX
Old 10-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #1292

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
How much you asking?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #1293
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
How much you asking?
$1500
Old 10-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #1294
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
About 150.00 to ship it to TX
. Will get back to you within a week.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #1295
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
How long for it to hit 90* bend in 1.75 tube, jerry?

Interested in separating the cart/hydraulics from the bender/dies? I might be interested
Old 10-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #1296
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
How long for it to hit 90* bend in 1.75 tube, jerry?

Interested in separating the cart/hydraulics from the bender/dies? I might be interested
Just about 20 seconds i think i dont remember really its about twice as fast as the air over hydro i had before and no pulling back its a 2 way ram so power in and power out. I might separate them if someone wants the bender and not the hydro.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #1297
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
I pimped your bender out...no takers yet.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #1298
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Why do the good deals always come up after I have made the purchase. I wish the roller dies would fit jd2 model 32
Old 10-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #1299
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome thread.
I've been interested in learning fab work for some time. I know how to MIG, tried a little TIG and it came natural like MIG.

I had thought about going to a trade school for fabrication at different times, but that never happened.

What sources would you guys recommend for learning some fundamentals to build a good foundation on my own?
Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #1300
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla View Post
Awesome thread.
I've been interested in learning fab work for some time. I know how to MIG, tried a little TIG and it came natural like MIG.

I had thought about going to a trade school for fabrication at different times, but that never happened.

What sources would you guys recommend for learning some fundamentals to build a good foundation on my own?
Thanks
Welding web, YouTube, OFN Forums all have good info. But nothing will help you more then picking up the touch and weld weld weld! get to know your machine and how you run with it. Get to know the basics and you should be off to a good start.

Products Discussed in this Thread