DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

General Fabrication

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #1321
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Like this is my ghetto sketch of what I'm talking about lol

I know it can be done. And someone may take this idea, make it happen and sell it for big profit to the regular cab guys. But I just want to be the first to order one if so lol. I don't have a sheet metal break to bend the metal properly or CNC to draw up the bends and plates but i would so build it if I could.

Maybe someone would give me a free one or Let me just pay material cost for coming up with the idea !
The few vehicles i have had roof racks on (IE thule, yakima) i have never had a noise issue i say this because i feel that is your best option, then mount your light between the racks. it is the best way to attach something on a vehicle without a gutter or track on the roof line edge. and specially not drilling into the roof. does it have a track?
Old 10-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #1322
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like this is my ghetto sketch of what I'm talking about lol

I know it can be done. And someone may take this idea, make it happen and sell it for big profit to the regular cab guys. But I just want to be the first to order one if so lol. I don't have a sheet metal break to bend the metal properly or CNC to draw up the bends and plates but i would so build it if I could.

Maybe someone would give me a free one or Let me just pay material cost for coming up with the idea !

VVV The rest of it is somewhere among the BS.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post6225158
Old 10-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #1327
Dr. Frankenstien, in surgery
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
i think if you just used some like..1-1.5'' strap that .125'' think or maybe a bit more..did some super fancey bending so it fit good in the door jams and had a clamping mechanism..then more fancy bending..i bet you could get it pretty damn close to the roof..

That would also leave you the option for mount a LED facing forwards and backwards if you wanted..
Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #1328
Dr. Frankenstien, in surgery
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
yea..same idea..but not NEAR that high.

If you get creative..you could make it like super close to the roof..many a rubber pad about 1/8'' thick under contacting the roof..so it would be maybe 1/2'' tall or 9/16''..if you can get it shaped right..the clamp part will work itself out.

But really..not other way to clamp..thats the only place you have to clamp..
Old 10-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #1329
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
What about an adhesive mount?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #1331

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know how different 2nd gens are, but there's a lip/gutter for the door seal on mine. Screw it to that, put the door seal over it and you're gtg. Don't have to worry about holes directly into the cab
Old 10-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #1332
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Well, after some debate and thinking, and some pressure from a TW member....COUGH...blackdawg....COUGH, I have decided to do some serious research on building custom stuff for my truck, and depending on how they come out, for others as my time permits. So first step is learning how to do it all, and the correct tools for the job.

I know how tube bending works, and the purposes of things such as the die, and locks. I know the principals of springback and all, but I still have to learn how to calculate out this stuff depending on material type, wall thickness, etc. (I am sure I have left stuff out as well) So the first question I have is this: Considering this will be a HOBBY, and not a full-time job, what are everyone's recommendations on benders? I am thinking right now I will have a max budget of $350 to $400, but if enough people know of some decent benders for less, I am more than willing to hear your input. I will also later be looking into, and asking about notchers, but lets take one step at a time. I will check back tomorrow. I need to get some sleep.

Damn you Blackdawg.....lmao
Old 10-31-2013, 12:40 AM   #1334
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just don't want one. I'm trying to keep my roof empty. I would've mounted my roof top tent above the cab if I didn't care about the drag and noise from it.
Anything on the roof will create noise. Especially a light bar.

But what if you used a 3x2 or 2x2 or a small single row light and built a bracket for the factory roof rack to mount it to? There should be a small threaded hole about midway along the ditch molding that would work.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #1335
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Reg cabs don't have factory roof racks.
My bad. I thought you had rack.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #1336
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
JD2 Model 3
Quote:
^ this.
Yeah? I have actually been looking at the JD2 Model 32 for $395 direct from JD Squared. I bet I could find it for less if I shopped around. I gotta smit, I would like more than just a product name. Can you two tell me WHY you are recommending the Model 3? Who here uses it?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #1337
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Yeah? I have actually been looking at the JD2 Model 32 for $395 direct from JD Squared. I bet I could find it for less if I shopped around. I gotta smit, I would like more than just a product name. Can you two tell me WHY you are recommending the Model 3? Who here uses it?
The JD2 model 32 is probably the most used hobby manual tube bender on the market. It gets the job done for the money. There is really not much to say about it its a manual bender they are all pretty similar. The first thing I would do is ass the swagoffroad air over hydro kit to it and make your life easier. You can find a used one for pety cheap if you look around.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #1338

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I have the JD2 M32. It's easy to set up and use, has quality parts and machining, easily upgradable, and beefy as F@^K!

My bumper was my first project with it

Only thing that sucks is the price of the bender sounds great but then you pay through the nose for the die sets.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #1339
linked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
linked2002's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ so darn true!! Speaking of dies, anyone have a 1.25" die I can toss 2 bends through? I'm needing to throw a bend in my tie rods and can't afford a new die just for that.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 AM   #1340
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Im about 800+ hundred into the JD2-M3 three dies. still very worth it and it holds it resale if well kept. cheaper brands are junk

Products Discussed in this Thread