DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

General Fabrication

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #1321
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Dude we dont figure that crap out thats what Bend Tech is for
Dafuq is that
Old 10-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #1322
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Mine are 1.75" - 0.120" wall square.

I think they look pretty good. Haters gonna hate I guess.

I have 4 attachment points welded to 1/4" scab plates and gussets on top.
I don't think those look bad at all.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #1323
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Dafuq is that
Oh young grasshopper watch and be amazed. http://www.bend-tech.com/bt_ez.htm

Bend tech EZ should be plenty for you. Your would waste more tube in a month trying to measure it out then it would cost for bend tech EZ.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #1324
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Oh young grasshopper watch and be amazed. http://www.bend-tech.com/bt_ez.htm

Bend tech EZ should be plenty for you. Your would waste more tube in a month trying to measure it out then it would cost for bend tech EZ.
Oh wow. Bookmarked!

Gah the Internet makes everything so easy nowadays! Lol
Old 10-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #1325
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh wow. Bookmarked!

Gah the Internet makes everything so easy nowadays! Lol
It is a great tool Bend Tech has saved me thousands of dollars worth of time and materials.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #1326
linked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
linked2002's Tacoma Gallery
holy shit my new best friend.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #1327
DerpWerx Fab

So... I have a project for someone with metal breaks , CNC, and can add dimple dies as well.

Needs to be on the cheap tho cause I know how much metal and everything cost lol.

I need someone to make a led bar mount that mounts on the cab without having to drill holes. I know there's some roof racks out there that mount with pads and clamp onto the shape of the cab or something like that.

But the catch is, instead of these bars going across the roof it needs to run along the door.
Make sense?
Why I want this made is to mount a 10-20" led bar(blitzpro) along the door to use a camp/trail light.

Why not just build a full roof rack and mount the bars on the side? I don't want the wind noise that comes with a full roof rack.

That's also where the dimple dies come into play. The dimples should allow air to pass through the mounts to make the mount and bar as quiet as possible.

Anyone up for the challenge or know what I'm talking about?
I'd find a local shop to do it but nearest "local" shop is an hour away and would likely charge bookoos of moniez.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #1328
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
when you say it needs to run along the door, do you mean front to back?

if so, a clamp style mount like what thule and yakima use probably won't work. they are very solid, but that's because the bar connecting them across the roof keeps them vertical, but creating side to side rigidity. without that crossbar, you can take those things and easly pull them sideways and right off the roof. also, a clamp that big is a good part of the sind noise. why don't you want to drill holes? a bolt-on mount would be easy to make low profile (a lot less wind noise), and will be stronger. waterproffing holes up there is also very easy.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #1329
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post

if so, a clamp style mount like what thule and yakima use probably won't work. they are very solid, but that's because the bar connecting them across the roof keeps them vertical, but creating side to side rigidity. without that crossbar, you can take those things and easly pull them sideways and right off the roof. also, a clamp that big is a good part of the sind noise. why don't you want to drill holes? a bolt-on mount would be easy to make low profile (a lot less wind noise), and will be stronger. waterproffing holes up there is also very easy.
Yes I mean front to back. The regular cabs have longer doors which would allow a good 15-20" to make a mount. The mounting is the part I'd need help with. Yes I understand the reason why thules mounts work by clamping across but is there not a way to mount something similar without going across the roof?

I don't want to drill holes simply because I know a 'no drilling required' mount would also be more appealing to the general public.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #1330
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
You want someone to design and build it? Ain't gonna be easy unless someone wantsto do it for fun, shops usually charge from around $90-$120 an hour. The racks you are talking about attach on both sides from what i know, so you would have to have it attached to both sides unless you figure a way to mount it inside the cab, but then your weather stripping wouldn't have a good seal.

good luck!

Quote:
So... I have a project for someone with metal breaks , CNC, and can add dimple dies as well.

Needs to be on the cheap tho cause I know how much metal and everything cost lol.

I need someone to make a led bar mount that mounts on the cab without having to drill holes. I know there's some roof racks out there that mount with pads and clamp onto the shape of the cab or something like that.

But the catch is, instead of these bars going across the roof it needs to run along the door.
Make sense?
Why I want this made is to mount a 10-20" led bar(blitzpro) along the door to use a camp/trail light.

Why not just build a full roof rack and mount the bars on the side? I don't want the wind noise that comes with a full roof rack.

That's also where the dimple dies come into play. The dimples should allow air to pass through the mounts to make the mount and bar as quiet as possible.

Anyone up for the challenge or know what I'm talking about?
I'd find a local shop to do it but nearest "local" shop is an hour away and would likely charge bookoos of moniez.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #1331
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post

beat me to it.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #1332
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes I mean front to back. The regular cabs have longer doors which would allow a good 15-20" to make a mount. The mounting is the part I'd need help with. Yes I understand the reason why thules mounts work by clamping across but is there not a way to mount something similar without going across the roof?

I don't want to drill holes simply because I know a 'no drilling required' mount would also be more appealing to the general public.
gotta go catch a flight, but we'll talk more later. we can make something work.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #1333
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
You want someone to design and build it? Ain't gonna be easy unless someone wantsto do it for fun, shops usually charge from around $90-$120 an hour. The racks you are talking about attach on both sides from what i know, so you would have to have it attached to both sides unless you figure a way to mount it inside the cab, but then your weather stripping wouldn't have a good seal.

good luck!
Yes I'm hoping someone would want to do it as a challenge per say.

Like pretty much someone to think"hmm. Not a bad idea, il see if I can do it". Something to work on after work hours. From fabricator to fabricator. If not then I understand and il just try to do it myself or il make some calls and see if I know anyone within 100miles that would be willing to let me lend a hand during the design and build process.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #1334

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
If you were a bit closer you'd be welcome to use my tools/shop, but might be a but if a dive
Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #1335
DerpWerx Fab

Like this is my ghetto sketch of what I'm talking about lol

I know it can be done. And someone may take this idea, make it happen and sell it for big profit to the regular cab guys. But I just want to be the first to order one if so lol. I don't have a sheet metal break to bend the metal properly or CNC to draw up the bends and plates but i would so build it if I could.

Maybe someone would give me a free one or Let me just pay material cost for coming up with the idea !
Old 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #1336
Kennyperez is on a distinguished road

Name: Kenny
Kennyperez's Tacoma Gallery
Almost done, just need a couple little things.. Spent all day working on it today
Old 10-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #1337
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I know it can be done. And someone may take this idea, make it happen and sell it for big profit to the regular cab guys. But I just want to be the first to order one if so lol. I don't have a sheet metal break to bend the metal properly or CNC to draw up the bends and plates but i would so build it if I could.

Maybe someone would give me a free one or Let me just pay material cost for coming up with the idea !
The few vehicles i have had roof racks on (IE thule, yakima) i have never had a noise issue i say this because i feel that is your best option, then mount your light between the racks. it is the best way to attach something on a vehicle without a gutter or track on the roof line edge. and specially not drilling into the roof. does it have a track?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #1338
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

VVV The rest of it is somewhere among the BS.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post6225158
Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #1339
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post

VVV The rest of it is somewhere among the BS.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post6225158
His are mounted to his roof rack, that's the easy solution and one I'm trying to avoid.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #1340
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSam View Post
The few vehicles i have had roof racks on (IE thule, yakima) i have never had a noise issue i say this because i feel that is your best option, then mount your light between the racks. it is the best way to attach something on a vehicle without a gutter or track on the roof line edge. and specially not drilling into the roof. does it have a track?
Negatory. Rode in my friends truck this weekend with a Thule rack and hated how loud it was. Also not sure if Thule even makes em small enough for regular cabs. I understand there's easier solutions but none of em are what I want. I just want a simple and clean way of mounting my lights without any drilling and without having to get an entire roof rack.

Guess Ill have to make it myself >.>

Products Discussed in this Thread