DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

General Fabrication

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #1381
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I promise not trying to come off rude, but can you do better than "No I wouldn't" and give me some specific reasons WHY you wouldn't? Some reasons I tell people I wouldn't get something is based on opinion or factors that are not important to them. I need more info.
First thing it's $300 dollars that tells you right there it's crap. A good TIG alone will be over $2,000 and that's starting.

Second I would never buy a plasma/welder machine only they tend to have more problems then stand alone machines. Third I wouldn't try and ARC weld for fabricating parts MIG is best for that.
I have learned in this business you get what you pay for and that's not even hobby grade in my book.

You can buy a cheap machine if you like but you will be regretting it later down the road.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #1382
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
I don't know much about machines themselves but my main questions for the machine is if(when) it has an issue; where do you order parts for it ? Do you know anyone who knows that brand and could fix it? And does that company even make spare parts for that machine.
Good point there. Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
First thing it's $300 dollars that tells you right there it's crap. A good TIG alone will be over $2,000 and that's starting.

Second I would never buy a plasma/welder machine only they tend to have more problems then stand alone machines. Third I wouldn't try and ARC weld for fabricating parts MIG is best for that.
I have learned in this business you get what you pay for and that's not even hobby grade in my book.

You can buy a cheap machine if you like but you will be regretting it later down the road.
Thanks for the expansion on the info. In response, Just because I said I can GET it for $300, doesn't mean that is the price. The average price for it is between $450 and $500. As for a good TIG running $2000, remember, I am buying for doing SMALL projects. I really was not even looking too much at the TIG part, but that it is an arc welder, and a plasma cutter. I do see the point in a combo machine not necessarily being the best option. Yes, I do realize that MIG is the best for fabrication, but back when I was learning to weld, nobody really did MIG welding. It was all arc, or brazing for brass and such.

I do appreciate the information though. I am still working on seeing if my current MIG welder is up to the task. I have a Clark 130EN that I have used for the past 6 or so years, and it has worked great for some of the light work I have done. Stepping into the world of fabrication of tubing and such, I am not sure if it is up to the task or not. I saw that one I linked where I was able to pick it up for just $300, so I was curious.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #1383
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I promise not trying to come off rude, but can you do better than "No I wouldn't" and give me some specific reasons WHY you wouldn't? Some reasons I tell people I wouldn't get something is based on opinion or factors that are not important to them. I need more info.
As with Jerry, I would personally RUN away from that machine. Just looking at it it looks terribly made, and the price is a further giveaway there too. I doubt they'd warranty any issues.... if you could even get ahold of the company.
Even for small around the home projects I would expect to drop around $800 on a quality welder (check out the ThermalArc 181i) and easily $1500-2000 for a quality new plasma cutter (or around 2/3 that for a used one).
Cheaping out on welders/plasma cutters is a bad idea IMO. You definitely get what you pay for, and you'll pay the difference in headaches with a cheap machine. I would rather have a machine that I know I can easily get support/parts for if necessary, and that I know will work when I need it. I'd also like peace of mind that the machine I bought is actually properly welding my project rather than looking good on the surface and having no penetration causing part failure later on. I've seen guys with cheap Harbor freight welders lay a bead that looks decently sound, but the bracket/gusset snap off with absolutely zero penetration into the base metal.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #1384
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
My gramps has a Lincoln sp170t I belive. Been awhile since I looked and I have welded lots of stuff with it. For the price a Lincoln 170 or 180 like the 180 dual are great options in my opinion.

The welder I prefer at home is my dad's hobart 240 "ironman" I believe its called and it is a bigger machine than the Lincoln s and also has a much better duty cycle and adjustability. He got his used for $500 and its never let him down. I have a hobart 140 flux core that works but I plan to buy a larger machine when I have money and space available.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #1385
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
As with Jerry, I would personally RUN away from that machine. Just looking at it it looks terribly made, and the price is a further giveaway there too. I doubt they'd warranty any issues.... if you could even get ahold of the company.
Even for small around the home projects I would expect to drop around $800 on a quality welder (check out the ThermalArc 181i) and easily $1500-2000 for a quality new plasma cutter (or around 2/3 that for a used one).
Cheaping out on welders/plasma cutters is a bad idea IMO. You definitely get what you pay for, and you'll pay the difference in headaches with a cheap machine. I would rather have a machine that I know I can easily get support/parts for if necessary, and that I know will work when I need it. I'd also like peace of mind that the machine I bought is actually properly welding my project rather than looking good on the surface and having no penetration causing part failure later on. I've seen guys with cheap Harbor freight welders lay a bead that looks decently sound, but the bracket/gusset snap off with absolutely zero penetration into the base metal.
Interesting to know. I guess that I wrongly assumed that all welders that were say 130A would have the same penetration. Now THAT is a lot of information there. Since I am looking at getting your DIY bumper kit, do you think my Clarke will do that at a moderate duty cycle?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #1387
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
I have been using my buddies Eastwood 175 210v and had no issues with it. Granted im not about to start making stuff for a living..
You hush! It's your damn fault I have started looking into this stuff in the first place!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #1389
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Lets get back on topic

Spring back on 1.75" x.120 HREW what are you guys going too.

We have been doing a lot of tested with the new bender and are coming up with 10.3 degrees on this bundle of tube. I have my bender set to 90.0 degrees with a spring back of 10.3 and I get a dead nuts 90 degree bend give or take .1 degree over 10 bends. Yes I'm down to the 10th of a degree I know most of you guys can't get it down that low so I think 10 is a good starting point.

That's saying you guys are calculating for spring back

I'll have some more numbers on other standard sizes once we toss them on the bender. I'm also going to mess with bending speeds to see if that will provide a different number. Were bending on speed 6 right now that's 180 degrees in 9 seconds.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #1390
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
I bought the plans from Takacs Cycles, here: http://www.gottrikes.com/Tube_Bender.htm

You can see it in my bumper build thread, here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...per-build.html
Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #1391
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Quick question, the holes on a 48" and 60" hi lift are spaced the same right? Reason being is a guy requested I add mounts for his 48" hi lift on a bedrack but I only have a 60" for mock up.
Yes. You're good
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #1392
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Yes. You're good
Just as long as it's the same brand. Hi-lift, torin, big red, harbor freight, etc. All vary by just the smallest amount.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #1393
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Yes. You're good

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...hange-wtf.html
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #1394
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
My old 48" and newer 60" fit it the same rack on my Jeep. Interesting. I'll stick with my answer. Hi Lift, not another knock off for the record.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #1395
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Seems that you are comparing two 48" Hi-
Lifts?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #1396
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah. I talked to a guy at the company and he said they've been making the hi-lift bars (both 48" and 60") on two different machines since like the 60's. They are slightly different and it shows. SO... the answer is it may or may not fit. A 50/50 chance?
Old 11-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #1397
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah. I talked to a guy at the company and he said they've been making the hi-lift bars (both 48" and 60") on two different machines since like the 60's. They are slightly different and it shows. SO... the answer is it may or may not fit. A 50/50 chance?
But if the lifting mechanism works on both, it's a non issue. At least I think it would be.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #1398

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
In regards to mounting, it would be. Weld the mounting bolts to the rack for one hi-lift, may not fit another. That's how I found out.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #1399
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In regards to mounting, it would be. Weld the mounting bolts to the rack for one hi-lift, may not fit another. That's how I found out.
Good to know. I'll correct my reply to the next person that asks me that. Thanks for the insight.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #1400
redrider58 is a jewel in the roughredrider58 is a jewel in the roughredrider58 is a jewel in the roughredrider58 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Michael
redrider58's Tacoma Gallery
I read through as many pages as I could and I could get my question answered.

What diameter and thickness of tubing and what type of steel are you guys using for racks, bumpers, sliders, bed cages?

Products Discussed in this Thread