DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

General Fabrication

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #1381
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I have just earlier noticed that. I thought when I first looked at it on the JD2 website that it was a complete kit at $395. So now if I am looking at bending 1.5" tubing I will be in it for about $650 to $700. That is a lot more than I planned to spend on a hobby tool. Grrr... DAMN YOU BLACKDAWG! So does anyone have a used Model 3 or model 32 with a a 1.5" die? Mater of fact, before I even look at dies, I should figure the steel I will be bending.

I am looking at building my own sliders, and then a custom bed rack for a RTT and other things. Should I go with 1.5" or 1.25"? What wall thickness?

DAMN IT.... I am SO gonna hate you after all this BlackDawg.....lmfao..
1.5" looks OK on first gens for accessories/bumpers, but is still kinda small. 1.75" is the new standard and looks much better and IMO is the minimum on second gens.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #1382
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Obviously it will vary from place to place, but when buying I will assume the pipe is bought in lengths of what, 10 feet? How much (and I know this is different all over) would I GENERALLY expect to pay for each piece for both sizes? 1.5 and 1.75?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #1384
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Obviously it will vary from place to place, but when buying I will assume the pipe is bought in lengths of what, 10 feet? How much (and I know this is different all over) would I GENERALLY expect to pay for each piece for both sizes? 1.5 and 1.75?
You want Round tubing, not pipe... yes theres a difference.

And for lengths, they come in 21' sticks but the supplier will cut them and charge per foot accordingly.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:12 AM   #1385
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

tubing..not pipe..there is a difference..usually stuff is sold in 20' sticks. Not sure on round tubing prices though..square 1.5'' in wy was about 40ish bucks for 20'
Old 10-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #1386
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone built their own bender? Only tube I'm looking at bending is 1.75" .120 wall
Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 AM   #1387
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
You want Round tubing, not pipe... yes theres a difference.

And for lengths, they come in 21' sticks but the supplier will cut them and charge per foot accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
tubing..not pipe..there is a difference..usually stuff is sold in 20' sticks. Not sure on round tubing prices though..square 1.5'' in wy was about 40ish bucks for 20'
My bad on the product name. I do realize there is a difference, I just wasn't thinking. I blame BD for all of my mistakes in this thread from now on. lol.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #1388
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
how do you guys like the dog cage i built a few years ago, its just standing in this picture since i built it in iowa and transported it in 7 panels to kansas.

the whole thing was welded together in hansas and the center in the top was a slide out panel to clean etc
Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #1389
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

here is my JD 32, i made a mount for my truck because at the time i was renting and could not bolt it to the floor
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #1390

Quote:
pipe and tubing will differ

pipe-measured ID
tube-measured OD

JD has dies for whatever you go with
Old 10-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #1391
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konvict KROG View Post
pipe and tubing will differ

pipe-measured ID
tube-measured OD

JD has dies for whatever you go with
Right, like I said, my bad on the wording. Yep, they do have the dies for whatever I need. Right now I am still working on what I need for my planned projects, current and future. THEN I can decide what tools to get.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #1392
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Right, like I said, my bad on the wording. Yep, they do have the dies for whatever I need. Right now I am still working on what I need for my planned projects, current and future. THEN I can decide what tools to get.
a 1.75" and 1.5" is all you would really need for hobby work. That's why shops only offer those sizes the dies are big bucks. Hell my 2" die for my new bender was over a grand i spent just over $4000 on dies last week.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #1393
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
a 1.75" and 1.5" is all you would really need for hobby work. That's why shops only offer those sizes the dies are big bucks. Hell my 2" die for my new bender was over a grand i spent just over $4000 on dies last week.
Well yeah, but you build stuff commercially! You NEED the big stuff. lol.

Like me and my shop, I have over 40 grand in shop equipment for auto repair, not counting what was already in the shop, and I am barely started.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #1394

Quote:
Well yeah, but you build stuff commercially! You NEED the big stuff. lol.

Like me and my shop, I have over 40 grand in shop equipment for auto repair, not counting what was already in the shop, and I am barely started.
yea, i have a few tool's myself...

but i dont have a shop lol someday
Old 10-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #1395
sirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sirhk100's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoto View Post
Why on earth would you put a bend in a tie rod????

I also use a JD2 model 3. converted it to air over hydro, not a single complaint.

How big of compressor are you running?

I've got the JD2 bender also... I've done a bit of work with it over the years all pulling on it by hand. Summer is the best when you have to wear welding gloves to use it cause it's 110+ degrees outside and I'm working in the sun.

Couple of small bumper to bumper builds...

One of the lesser known trucks I built... (not finished in this picture but you get the idea...)

Jeep stuff

Fugly bumper but I built it exactly as the kid wanted!!! I don't always like everything I've built but I try to build exactly what the friend or owner wants, not what I want...

Point being, manual benders work great, you just gotta earn it on occasion! Those 180 degree bends kinda suck! LOL
Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #1396
ASE Master Tech

Nice work. I like the roll bar with light bar in the bed.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:15 PM   #1397
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My bad on the product name. I do realize there is a difference, I just wasn't thinking. I blame BD for all of my mistakes in this thread from now on. lol.

Now it's making me want to get one, I either have at home or at the shop pretty much all the tools I need for fabrication except a bender. Make as any mistakes as you want, we all do, at least I do...a lot...
Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #1398
ASE Master Tech

Getting a tubing bender is being placed on the back burner....for now....

Me and a friend got an opportunity we couldn't pass up. A wrecked 1st gen ext cab 3.4 Pre-Runner for cheap! I have my eyes on yanking out that e-locker axle.....
Old 11-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #1399
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
Has anyone built their own bender? Only tube I'm looking at bending is 1.75" .120 wall
^this
Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #1400
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've got one of these in good shape with a 1.75" and 1.25" dies for $300. It's very mobile and easy to use will bend .120 wall DOM all day.

http://www.affordablebender.com/coll...ie-on-7-radius

Logan built his roll cage with this same bender. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...pocalypto.html

And I built all my stuff with it too

Products Discussed in this Thread