DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

General Fabrication

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #1561
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Jd2 m-32 bender.
This ^
Old 10-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #1562
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I had a bad feeling that was the case haha Can you use media other than silica or aluminum oxide, like glass bead or walnut?

This is the compressor I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Air...lon+compressor
Old 10-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #1563
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
I had a bad feeling that was the case haha Can you use media other than silica or aluminum oxide, like glass bead or walnut?

This is the compressor I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Air...lon+compressor
I use garnet and that compressor is going to have a hard time blasting.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #1564
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Damn. Is it safe to assume the compressor's lacking output is the primary reason for the clogging problems I've been having?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:27 AM   #1565
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can you use media other than silica or aluminum oxide, like glass bead or walnut?
Walnut shells are usually for AL or other soft metals. I only use Black Beauty. Plentiful around here, cheap, and the toughest media you can get. Its crushed steel slag from the mills.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #1566
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
I'm new to this whole steel fabrication thing so my knowledge of the specialty tools out there is limited. I purchased several right angle magnets to help with fixturing, but found the cheap harbor freight magnets pretty inadequate. I did some searching today and found strong hand and magswitch on/off magnets. I have two of the 165 magswitch units and two of the medium duty strong hand magnets on the way. Can't wait to try them out on the bed build.

I'm sure most of you know about these, but they're new to me. So what other cool tools are a out there that are a must have?

Old 10-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #1567
MojaveMadman is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: Chris
MojaveMadman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimann View Post
I've been searching this thread for a while but I can't track down the discussion about tube benders (found a few good posts though).

I'm looking to build red racks, and maybe sliders. Manual is fine, but I'd like the option to convert to hydro later down the road. I probably won't be able to fix it to the floor, so a portable type stand/cart would be best. Looking to spend ~$800-1,000 with at least one die set included in the price. Although going under budget is always an option.

Any suggestions or firsthand reviews?
Probably late to this one... I have a Pro-Tools 105HD and love it. I landed on this over the JD2 because the dies are cheaper. I have used all 3 big brands (PT, JD, JMR) and IMO for a home fabricator they all work exactly the same... Trick-tools.com has great prices and shipping. I got my bender and all my dies from them.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #1568
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
I'm new to this whole steel fabrication thing so my knowledge of the specialty tools out there is limited. I purchased several right angle magnets to help with fixturing, but found the cheap harbor freight magnets pretty inadequate. I did some searching today and found strong hand and magswitch on/off magnets. I have two of the 165 magswitch units and two of the medium duty strong hand magnets on the way. Can't wait to try them out on the bed build.

I'm sure most of you know about these, but they're new to me. So what other cool tools are a out there that are a must have?

I have the cube ones and we use them just about every day. You can't really go wrong with strong hand tools when it comes to clamps. I have their build pro Max table and it's amazing!!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #1569
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn. Is it safe to assume the compressor's lacking output is the primary reason for the clogging problems I've been having?
And the shitty blaster your using
Old 10-18-2014, 02:56 AM   #1570
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
tacomonazul's Tacoma Gallery
sup guys! I want to learn how to weld so I want to buy a welder and teach myself. Which welder do you guys recommend? Ill ask for help first to someone that know how to use a welder to get me started.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:25 AM   #1571
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomonazul View Post
sup guys! I want to learn how to weld so I want to buy a welder and teach myself. Which welder do you guys recommend? Ill ask for help first to someone that know how to use a welder to get me started.
This is the one I'm using.....Well worth what I spent for everything I've been doing.
http://store.cyberweld.com/twfa14miwew1.html
Old 10-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #1572
MadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
MadTaco461's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomonazul View Post
Get a used Lincoln flux core welder or whatever brand off cl for a 100. You can sell it when you want to upgrade to better mig.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #1573
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Fuqu the flux core!

Get any welder that allows you to use cover gas. Learning how to weld is so much easier. Its safer too. The bb's that flux core welding make, shoot out a long ways from where you are welding from and they stay red hot! The fire hazard alone is enough to keep anyone from using flux core.

About the only instance I would recommend flux core, would be if you had to weld outside in a heavy wind. It does have other advantages, but not enough for me consider it worthwhile to even meantion.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #1574
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #1575
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
You can't sub'd without bringing something to the table. It's just impolite.

What do you want to here about? Lots of collective knowledge in this thread, give us a chance to run off at the mouth

KO
Old 10-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #1576
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
Fuqu the flux core!
Just remember you can use the flux core outside in the breeze where the gas is gonna get blown away and produce a shitty weld.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #1577
Shmellmopwho is just really niceShmellmopwho is just really niceShmellmopwho is just really niceShmellmopwho is just really niceShmellmopwho is just really nice

Name: Ryan
Shmellmopwho's Tacoma Gallery
Made this bumper last month. All I had was a grinder and a small pipe bender. Used my buddy's little Lincoln Mig. I thought it came out okay for my first one. Wish I had a plasma cutter!!!! Made the bedrack and the sliders too but don't really have an pics of those.

Attached Thumbnails
General Fabrication-image-3.jpg   General Fabrication-image-2.jpg   General Fabrication-img_3467.jpg  
Old 10-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #1578
MadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
MadTaco461's Tacoma Gallery
I just said flux is good to learn on. Don't make anything structural for a truck like suspension parts. If you can lay down good flux, mig is a breeze. 100 bucks for a used welder is what I learned on. A few years later I dropped a 1000 on a nice 180amp mig. There is a world of a difference between the 2
Old 10-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #1579
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
i figured Id post this here as well.

I have a TN 300 in the shop that I'm considering on selling the price is $2000. I'm upgrading to the TN 800 end mill notcher soon. It's about 6 months old and works great we just want to fine tune the notch for SS Tig welding and an end mill notcher is what we need. If your doing a lot of notches and don't want to drop 8K+ on a end mill notcher this thing is bad ass. And no more near broken arms! all you guys with drill notchers know what I'm talking about

Local pickup in the Bay area would be best as this thing weighs in at about 150lbs I can ship it freight to just about anywhere in the us for about $100 bucks but local pick up would be best. My shop is in Benicia

Here is a video of it in action
http://youtu.be/sKU-zGF4d5I
Old 10-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #1580
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
i figured Id post this here as well.

I have a TN 300 in the shop that I'm considering on selling the price is $2000. I'm upgrading to the TN 800 end mill notcher soon. It's about 6 months old and works great we just want to fine tune the notch for SS Tig welding and an end mill notcher is what we need. If your doing a lot of notches and don't want to drop 8K+ on a end mill notcher this thing is bad ass. And no more near broken arms! all you guys with drill notchers know what I'm talking about

Local pickup in the Bay area would be best as this thing weighs in at about 150lbs I can ship it freight to just about anywhere in the us for about $100 bucks but local pick up would be best. My shop is in Benicia

Here is a video of it in action
http://youtu.be/sKU-zGF4d5I
Sounds l like you're doing judging from all the upgrades, congrats!

Products Discussed in this Thread