DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

General Fabrication

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #1561
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Alright. Who on here built this. C'mon and confess and explain to me why you did this LOL
Old 02-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #1562
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just a little starting sketch for a trailer build.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #1563
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
4th set of sliders this week.. Getting a little redundant, here..

Have to work on fine tuning a little bit - have some spatter going on in the first pic.

This was vertical downhill..

Built a shroud for my compressor..

Old 02-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #1564
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
4th set of sliders this week.. Getting a little redundant, here..

Have to work on fine tuning a little bit - have some spatter going on in the first pic.

This was vertical downhill..

Built a shroud for my compressor..

What kind of pattern do you use when laying those beads? Just curious
Old 02-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #1565
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
What kind of pattern do you use when laying those beads? Just curious
Hmm..

I push most of the time..

On a 90 joint, I'll start my arc in the apex of the two pieces, then do a cursive "I", keeping an eye on my puddle, making sure it's tying into both upper and lower pieces.. Then bring it back to the apex, pushing ahead a step, then repeating the cursive "I".

A lot of it is sound, too.. Found that the space between the "crackle" will increase when I make the "I" back into the puddle.

Sorry it that made no sense, it's just become a second nature tactile thing for me.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #1566
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or

http://www.amazon.com/WD-40-100164-M...&keywords=WD40

A quick thin coat of either

Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #1567
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
Do you spray the piece then weld through it or clean the weld area first?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #1568
DerpWerx Fab

Bumper I been working on. 85% done. Just gotta weld everything up, tabs for the license plate, hitch gussets/bars, and paint
Old 03-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #1569
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone used an oversized die for bending tube? I have a 180 degree JD2 die for 1.660" pipe, but didn't know if there's any concerns of wrinkling, deformation, etc. if I used it for 1 5/8" (.035" smaller) tube?
Old 03-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #1570

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Has anyone used an oversized die for bending tube? I have a 180 degree JD2 die for 1.660" pipe, but didn't know if there's any concerns of wrinkling, deformation, etc. if I used it for 1 5/8" (.035" smaller) tube?
I don't even own a bender.. yet.

But from the limited research I've done, i don't think you'd get very good results by using an oversized die. Fairly certain that the dies actually specific shape to them; rather than just being a straight form to the outside of your pipe/tube. Each manufacturer is a little different - I know JD2s claim to have more R&D than JMR, etc..

Short version. I think you'd f up your bends pretty good.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #1571
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
Just do a test bend and see how much it deformes. If its to much you can always pack the pipe with sand to help it keep its shape.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #1572
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
With how close the sizes are, I doubt it would be too bad. You'll probably just get a tad more flattening of the tube around the radius.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #1573
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
With how close the sizes are, I doubt it would be too bad. You'll probably just get a tad more flattening of the tube around the radius.
^ this. Have bent smaller stuff just to see what what would happen and it did indeed flatten out
Old 03-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #1574
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Just started stick welding today, and I laid down some gnarly noob welds 6011 on ac at 125a. I ended somehow welding a latch and a 2x4 gusset on a piece of angle iron. My father in law is gonna be like "WTF is this sh**?!"

Need more practice, I need to weld some tabs on my roof mount light bar, but don't have anyone to teach me so YouTube it was. I'll get it eventually, it sucks I can really only do any type of mods on the weekend's since work has me out of town 4-5 days a week.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:17 PM   #1575
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpachiZaraki View Post
Just started stick welding today, and I laid down some gnarly noob welds 6011 on ac at 125a. I ended somehow welding a latch and a 2x4 gusset on a piece of angle iron. My father in law is gonna be like "WTF is this sh**?!"

Need more practice, I need to weld some tabs on my roof mount light bar, but don't have anyone to teach me so YouTube it was. I'll get it eventually, it sucks I can really only do any type of mods on the weekend's since work has me out of town 4-5 days a week.
Best way to learn is get some 1/4" flat stock and lay flat beads next to each other until you get it down, then move to vertical, then to joints.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #1576
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Best way to learn is get some 1/4" flat stock and lay flat beads next to each other until you get it down, then move to vertical, then to joints.
^ this

And goto joints next. Save vertical for last since its the trickiest.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #1577
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
^ this

And goto joints next. Save vertical for last since its the trickiest.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #1578
ComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dakota
ComaRyder1's Tacoma Gallery
hi everyone i just joined this forum today. ive been working with steel for a few years now, and also attending school to become certified in several areas of welding, so im fairly savvy when creating the strongest possible design for any of steel structure. that being said, for the question im about to ask, im not looking for the easiest solution, but your advice on the strongest most effective solution.

I am in the process of caging my cab, i am almost finished with the bed now. When assembling my cage inside the cab, would it be better to drill through the floor of the cab with the hole saw to weld my tubing to the frame? or should i just weld the tubing to a flat plate of steel, and then attach that to the floor of the cab?

my tacoma was stock a month and a half ago and ive been working on her every weekend since, heres some pics of where im at so far on my build
Attached Thumbnails
General Fabrication-yotamobbin.jpg   General Fabrication-1620827_628316313889957_297875421_n.jpg   General Fabrication-1798371_636286623092926_1769288684_n.jpg  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #1579
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaRyder1 View Post
hi everyone i just joined this forum today. ive been working with steel for a few years now, and also attending school to become certified in several areas of welding, so im fairly savvy when creating the strongest possible design for any of steel structure. that being said, for the question im about to ask, im not looking for the easiest solution, but your advice on the strongest most effective solution.

I am in the process of caging my cab, i am almost finished with the bed now. When assembling my cage inside the cab, would it be better to drill through the floor of the cab with the hole saw to weld my tubing to the frame? or should i just weld the tubing to a flat plate of steel, and then attach that to the floor of the cab?

my tacoma was stock a month and a half ago and ive been working on her every weekend since, heres some pics of where im at so far on my build
Do not just weld it to the cab. What I did is cut square holes way too big, weld to plates on top of the frame. Build the structure and then you can knock the tack welds off the plates and drop the cage to weld the top

Then after finishing all welding to the structure you can push back into place, re-weld the plates and gusset them

Then you can tack the cab floor plates back in

Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #1580
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool! I like that approach a lot better than cutting the roof off the cab and then having to reweld it back on / do paint.

Products Discussed in this Thread