DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

General Fabrication

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #1581
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
Sounds l like you're doing judging from all the upgrades, congrats!
Yeah we do alright
Old 10-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #1582
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Yeah we do alright
Haha awesome!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #1583
GEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEARAHOLIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KELLEN
GEARAHOLIC's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #1584
MojaveMadman is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: Chris
MojaveMadman's Tacoma Gallery
I have used a few kinds of notchers and always find myself going back to the chop saw method. Used the drill press ones, they take way too long and you go through hole saws fast. Used the giant belt sander ones, they are so noisy and you go through belts fast when doing big projects. I even used a nibbler version. All those things are great if you are doing a large TIG project, or you are repeating a notch 100 times, or you have a huge budget. But man I have just become so proficient with with chop saw and grinder I can put 5 tubes in a roll cage in the same time it takes someone to notch one tube on the dang drill press. Plus the cost of a good chop saw is still far less than anything else. I learned from old school guys and I guess that is one thing that stuck with me.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #1585
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
When I was building my sliders I talked to the guys at CBI about how they notch tubes. They said the same thing.

Do you generally have to notch a tube before bending it? Seems like it might not fit in the saw if its got a big bed.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #1586
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I personally wouldn't notch with a chop saw but that's me. It's not very accurate having the flip the tube to notch the other side but when we notch we do 250 to 500 parts at a time.

Notching on a bend can be tricky with any machine we notch on bends all the time with ours. If they are really steep I move to the hand plasma and angle grinder to make those.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #1587
MojaveMadman is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: Chris
MojaveMadman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimann View Post
When I was building my sliders I talked to the guys at CBI about how they notch tubes. They said the same thing.

Do you generally have to notch a tube before bending it? Seems like it might not fit in the saw if its got a big bed.
You do all of the bending, then notch the tube. It is one of those things that feels weird when you are first learning how to do it. It takes practice, but once you learn it, is so fast. I think the scary part is removing the sliding clamp and just having to hold the tube in place yourself. It seems a little un-safe when you are first learning, but like anything once you do it a for a while it is 2nd nature.

When I was working professionally I personally built over 20 tube chassis for sand cars all with the chop saw method. Other than doing the left and right sides, almost every notch is different so it really helps speed things up because your not re-adjusting the notcher every couple minutes. Plus when you build a tube chassis your using 3 or 4 different sizes of tubing so you don't have to adjust for that with a chop saw, just cut and go. We even did 5 full TIG chassis while I was there, all with the chop saw method, so you can be precise, it just takes time and patients.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #1588
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
For Halloween

Old 10-25-2014, 01:16 AM   #1589
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
That looks pretty bad-ass!
Old 10-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #1590
1st4x4 is on a distinguished road
Name: sam
1st4x4's Tacoma Gallery
i bought this bed cage from another member and have a friend that is going to weld it on any advice on placement. im trying to do it without cutting huge holes in the bed itself.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #1591
1st4x4 is on a distinguished road
Name: sam
1st4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st4x4 View Post
i bought this bed cage from another member and have a friend that is going to weld it on any advice on placement. im trying to do it without cutting huge holes in the bed itself.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #1592
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
tacomonazul's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone has used this tube benders? Are they good?

http://www.affordablebender.com/coll...ie-on-7-radius
Old 10-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #1593
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thekernel114's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't bother since it can't bend .120 wall dom.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #1594
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What tube would you use for a bumper?
Old 10-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #1595
thekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthekernel114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
.120 wall dom is the standard if you plan on using your truck. For pavement princesses .120 wall HREW will be fine.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #1596

pavement princess hahaha, so what bender do you recommend for doing a .120 wall dom bumper?
Old 10-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #1597
Jd2 model 3 or model 32. Find at jd2.com
Old 10-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #1598
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomonazul View Post
pavement princess hahaha, so what bender do you recommend for doing a .120 wall dom bumper?
JD2 is the best bang for your buck. Buying a bender to build just one bumper might not really be worth it IMO. After buying everything you need you could have a custom one made for less money.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #1599
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomonazul View Post
Anyone has used this tube benders? Are they good?

http://www.affordablebender.com/coll...ie-on-7-radius

I built my whole truck with one of those. It's a piece of shit, but it works. I did bend .120 wall DOM with it, but it was hard on it. The trick is to use WD-40 on the die. The biggest problem is the U clamp that holds the tubing into the die. It can't handle the force of .120 wall and bends the bolt. I drilled it out and put a larger grade 8 bolt in and it worked ok. It is very difficult to repeat bend angles, i.e. make two pieces with identical bends. The marks on the die are largely useless, so I made my own marks with a sharpie. When I was done building my cage I gave it away for free.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:00 PM   #1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
JD2 is the best bang for your buck. Buying a bender to build just one bumper might not really be worth it IMO. After buying everything you need you could have a custom one made for less money.
I have several projects in mind

Products Discussed in this Thread