DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

General Fabrication

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #1581
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
I don't even own a bender.. yet.

But from the limited research I've done, i don't think you'd get very good results by using an oversized die. Fairly certain that the dies actually specific shape to them; rather than just being a straight form to the outside of your pipe/tube. Each manufacturer is a little different - I know JD2s claim to have more R&D than JMR, etc..

Short version. I think you'd f up your bends pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekernel114 View Post
Just do a test bend and see how much it deformes. If its to much you can always pack the pipe with sand to help it keep its shape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
With how close the sizes are, I doubt it would be too bad. You'll probably just get a tad more flattening of the tube around the radius.
Thanks for the replies. I tried it out and I'm satisfied with the results.

1 5/8" tube in a 1.66" pipe die flattened only slightly more than the correct size, approx .03" more as far as I can tell. I wouldn't notice just by looking at it.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #1582
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #1583
bluezac17 is on a distinguished road
Name: Zach
bluezac17's Tacoma Gallery
uhhh kinda stuck and though this would be the right place to come for the answer? I have a 1994 pickup (extended cab, 22re) and i want to do the whole long travel thing but i don't want to have my bed removed (actually wanna be able to put stuff in the back of my truck) so is there a MT option that allows for that?
Old 03-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #1584
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
I just realized this is in the LT section, weird.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #1585
how hard can it be?
snowsk8air2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
snowsk8air2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezac17 View Post
uhhh kinda stuck and though this would be the right place to come for the answer? I have a 1994 pickup (extended cab, 22re) and i want to do the whole long travel thing but i don't want to have my bed removed (actually wanna be able to put stuff in the back of my truck) so is there a MT option that allows for that?
options on the front are endless. as for the rear and gaining travel without going into the bed, you could always relocate the shock mounts similar to the bamf relocation brackets. not entirely sure on how the older pickups are set up, but can't imagine a leaf spring set up having too many options. I know that's the plan for my rear if i ever save up the money to do so since I don't want to intrude on the bed space either. Other option is something like this guys set up for his 4runner. http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...75318_460s.jpg
though that takes some serious fabbing and r&d

good luck
Old 03-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #1586
ComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedComaRyder1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dakota
ComaRyder1's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
Do not just weld it to the cab. What I did is cut square holes way too big, weld to plates on top of the frame. Build the structure and then you can knock the tack welds off the plates and drop the cage to weld the top

Then after finishing all welding to the structure you can push back into place, re-weld the plates and gusset them

Then you can tack the cab floor plates back in

wow man thats pretty solid looking i probably would have never thought of that. i like it alot, thanx for the advice. i will post some pics once i get to that part of my build. im going to finish the bed cage this weekend and hopefully have time to start on the cab
Old 03-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #1587
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
That moment when you have an idea in your head but halfway through the idea gets blurry and you can't really vision the final product...
Old 03-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #1588
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
That moment when you have an idea in your head but halfway through the idea gets blurry and you can't really vision the final product...

I know exactly what you mean.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #1589
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just no idea how I wanna finish it off. Like with the mounts and sides and stuff. Oh well just gonna throw it in the back of the shop and try to come up with some ideas
Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #1590
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
Are you thinking about filling it in with plate or just a pure tube bumper?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 PM   #1591
DerpWerx Fab

Not sure. It's just a concept right now. Nothing is set in stone.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #1592
TRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: JP
TRDtexasTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
Hmm..

I push most of the time..

On a 90 joint, I'll start my arc in the apex of the two pieces, then do a cursive "I", keeping an eye on my puddle, making sure it's tying into both upper and lower pieces.. Then bring it back to the apex, pushing ahead a step, then repeating the cursive "I".

A lot of it is sound, too.. Found that the space between the "crackle" will increase when I make the "I" back into the puddle.

Sorry it that made no sense, it's just become a second nature tactile thing for me.
i know that sound. its soothing
Old 05-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #1593
DerpWerx Fab

Bumper I'm working on
Old 05-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #1594
TRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRDtexasTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: JP
TRDtexasTaco's Tacoma Gallery
sweet^^
Old 05-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #1595
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post

Bumper I'm working on
looks pretty good. think it would look a little(slightly) better if the top tube was sticking out farther than the bottom one. only down side i see is the gap between the tube and lower grill/lights will be bigger.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #1596
DerpWerx Fab

Yes I know the support under the driver side is higher than the passenger side. I was gonna fix it but decided ima just leave it since I don't plan on selling the bumper anytime soon lol.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #1597
DerpWerx Fab

And the top one does slightly stick out farther
Old 05-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #1599
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I love my notchmaster

Old 05-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #1600
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Any advice for building a set of upper a-arms? Using stock balls joints on outside with heim's inside.

Products Discussed in this Thread