DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

General Fabrication

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
linked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
linked2002's Tacoma Gallery
General Fabrication

ive started this thread after talking it over with a mod about opening a actual all new topic area under the "garage" section. It would be nice for alot of you that have fabrication and design questions to have somewhere to go where experienced fabricators can help you out as best as we can. I (and i hope WE) all know that everyone has to start somewhere and no one is born with the ability to lay perfect welds and fabricate a trophy truck out of the womb. so lets keep this topic fresh and no bullshit. this is a place to ask for help so no flaming people.

On another note. along with that last sentence you just read, i have to shoot a disclaimer out to all posting here as well. no fabricator is going to give you every measurement and detail you need to design something the way we do. that would then defeat the purpose of us being able to make money off of the skills we have dedicated years to learn. so please dont come in here asking if we can give you every little detail of how to build something. remember.. this is fabrication.. if you have to ask for that much help, whatever your building you probably dont have the complete understanding of how it works and you may potentially seriously harm someone! so remember.... stay within your comfort level and i hope to help give some of you the many experiences i have had through trial and error.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea. I'm a developing garage fabricator right now. My question is:

What tool do you find best for cutting large pieces of flat steel (up to 1/4''). Right now I use cut off saw and angle grinder for all my cutting, and it can get tedious. I was looking at larger, metal cutting bandsaws but they are damn expensive; basically in the plasma cutter range.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post

What tool do you find best for cutting large pieces of flat steel (up to 1/4''). Right now I use cut off saw and angle grinder for all my cutting, and it can get tedious. I was looking at larger, metal cutting bandsaws but they are damn expensive; basically in the plasma cutter range.
X2 on the good Idea

Plasma cutter FTW on plate steel that will be one of my next investments.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

How difficult is it to cut a straight line with a plasma cutter?
Old 08-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How difficult is it to cut a straight line with a plasma cutter?
With a guide it's not hard at all. Just clamp a stick of bar stock to your plate and run it along the bar stock with a guide/drag shield on your touch. That's the way Ive done it but I'm sure there are some guys with other ideas.

This is going to be a great thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7hIj...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7tOA...eature=related
Old 08-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
03aztaco has a brilliant future03aztaco has a brilliant future03aztaco has a brilliant future03aztaco has a brilliant future03aztaco has a brilliant future03aztaco has a brilliant future03aztaco has a brilliant future03aztaco has a brilliant future03aztaco has a brilliant future03aztaco has a brilliant future03aztaco has a brilliant future

Name: adam
03aztaco's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 08-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
linked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Cutting materials that thick I would have to say either way you will need to be saving for a plasma cutter. I did the cutting with a hand grinder thing for a while and it will get old. Go on your local craigslist and see if anyone has a mid grade plasma for sale. Will speed shit up 20 fold.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #8

How about tube notching, what's your preferred method? I've been using the chop saw/grinder method and it's tedious.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
a fab section would be cool. im trying to find someone local to make me front shock hoops
Old 08-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How about tube notching, what's your preferred method? I've been using the chop saw/grinder method and it's tedious.
I got this from Summit and it just won't die. It has cut thousands of notches, still on the original holesaw. The bearing is getting worn out and it's not as precise as when new, but still works good. Can't beat it for $69.95. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HCK-SPPIPE/

Old 08-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Timicha
Timicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimicha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIM
Timicha's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I got this from Summit and it just won't die. It has cut thousands of notches, still on the original holesaw. The bearing is getting worn out and it's not as precise as when new, but still works good. Can't beat it for $69.95. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HCK-SPPIPE/

i've got a similar one from JD squared and it works Great.

Good idea with the thread also
Old 08-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Oxy/fuel cutting torch if you can't afford a plasma cutter
Old 08-20-2011, 05:38 PM   #13

Marines:
Yea I use the pro tools industrial notcher. I love the thing and it usa never served me wrong.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #14

You guys have got me wanting a plasma cutter bad now. I wanted one before, but I thought they were more expensive and had a steeper learning curve. I've been seeing them on craigslist for $400.

Think my next truck related purchase will have to be delayed so I can pick up a plasma cutter and tube notcher.

Username, are you using a woodward tube bender as well? I noticed they were $299 plus $99 for the stand on that link you posted.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #15
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Username, are you using a woodward tube bender as well? I noticed they were $299 plus $99 for the stand on that link you posted.
I didn't know that they made a bender at that price or I would have bought that instead of this one- http://www.tjdieselperformance.com/s...-bender/Detail
I actually just sold mine for $40 (moving)

Old 08-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
Toyota Its Like A Jeep Thing Only Better
Socalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Socalrunner's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ how did it do bending .120 wall dom?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #17

Marines:
Dang I've never seen one of those actually work. I went with the pro tools hydro bender. Thing is Fucking tits and all compressor powered.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #18
Fluffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalrunner View Post
^^^ how did it do bending .120 wall dom?
It works, but it'll make a man out of you. A cromo .120 wall 90* bend will result in muscle failure. The protools hydro is light years ahead of this pos, but the end result is the same. For guys that just do one or two bumpers a month it will get the job done, but if you have the cash get something else. The only cool thing about the affordablebender is that it's portable and doesn't require a stand. I can build a bumper in a the middle of the desert with my readywelder, the bender, and a cordless drill powering the tubing notcher.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #19
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joels98taco View Post
a fab section would be cool. im trying to find someone local to make me front shock hoops
hit up Chris, aka Tacorunner87 here on TW... he is in your neck of the woods...
Old 08-20-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
Joels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to beholdJoels98taco is a splendid one to behold

Name: joel
Joels98taco's Tacoma Gallery
ohh yeahhh haha forgot about chris. we could probably do it when we do my rear shock mounts i have a picture of your truck on mine...

Products Discussed in this Thread