DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

LT need some professional help

Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
teddygrahams is on a distinguished road
teddygrahams's Tacoma Gallery
LT need some professional help

So, i have an older camburg kit with ball joints and not the uni ball. I'm running about 12 inches of travel right now. My limiter to my drop travel is the upper ball joint, I have a lot of travel still left in the lower.
I came up with the idea to reinforce the spindle and rebuild the upper a-arm to match the camburg setup but make it so its a heim instead of a ball joint.

My questions are... has anyone seen this done before? and what tubing would you recommend for the upper arm?
Old 08-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygrahams View Post
So, i have an older camburg kit with ball joints and not the uni ball. I'm running about 12 inches of travel right now. My limiter to my drop travel is the upper ball joint, I have a lot of travel still left in the lower.
I came up with the idea to reinforce the spindle and rebuild the upper a-arm to match the camburg setup but make it so its a heim instead of a ball joint.

My questions are... has anyone seen this done before? and what tubing would you recommend for the upper arm?
pm shocktaco.. he build his own LT kit. i dont know if he would be able to answer your question, but it should be in the right direction. i am in no way a professional so you haters here, im just trying to help
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
F that if you are gonna build it make horizontal uniballs,
let me find this guy on ttora, pretty much measures travel in feet not inches
Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
you could probably just modify the camburg upper arms to accept 1" or 1.250" uniballs. its pretty simple and straight forward to do.

other than that you could build a new upper with heims and uniball. you can use dom . no need for the aerospace grede stuff here. but best bet is modifying the arms. its something i can do if your interested.

as for the dude that recommended horizontal uniballs. a vertically oriented uniball (bolt orientation is horizontal) will have to have custom spindles made also. along with getting all the grometry right the lower will have to be changed up too. that and i dont think the guy wants a whole new kit . just wants to modify what he has . i feel its an acdceptable way to do it and have been wanting to convert the 1.250" uniballs into my tc arms. they arent that much bigger dimensionally wise and they actually have a thinner profile
Old 08-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
teddygrahams is on a distinguished road
teddygrahams's Tacoma Gallery
the vertical uniball would be best. Why would i have to replace the bottom ball joint if i did the same geometry as the upper bjoint? also if i replaced the bottom bjoint with a uniball i would probably get a lot more droop
Old 09-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygrahams View Post
the vertical uniball would be best. Why would i have to replace the bottom ball joint if i did the same geometry as the upper bjoint? also if i replaced the bottom bjoint with a uniball i would probably get a lot more droop
if you did a vertical uniball setup the upper joint theoretically has an infinite range of mis-alingment. the lower uniball/balljoint will still limit the range of movement of your arms, unless you make them vertically oriented too

just convert the arms to a 1.250" uniball , horizontally oriented ( like they are currently) and maybe do the lower uniball conversion too. this will free up some play in the joints and allow you more travel , as long as the shocks and bumps will allow it.

otherwise you will need new uppers,lowers and spindles fabricated to to the vertical uni setup. then shock/bump mounts will want to be repositioned to take advantage of the extra travel. its not as simple and cut-n-dry like people make it out to be . its a lot of work.

this is a vertical uniball setup: