DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

*Thread Request*

Old 09-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
*Thread Request*

OK guys just looked through all of the Long Travel thread and am not seeing any basic coilover adjustment tips and or tricks unless they are burried deep inside another thread.

I was wondering if maybe some of you more experienced guys could post up something worthy of a sticky on adjusting your Long Travel.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of adjustment are you looking for? Like valving? or Turning the Collar on the shock?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well correct me if I'm wrong but the valving is related to compression and the spring is rebound? They feel pretty stiff. Can you adjust the pressure in the reservoir?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
theghost is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheghost is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheghost is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheghost is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheghost is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheghost is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheghost is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheghost is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheghost is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheghost is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheghost is one of the sharper tools in the shed
theghost's Tacoma Gallery
Valving is both compression and Rebound and will require a whole rebuild of the shock to change, it has to do with shim stacks inside the shock. I recommend doing some google searches.

I would not recommend dropping the PSI charge. If they feel stiff it is possible that your spring rate is too high since (from the pics you posted) dont have much if any preload on the shocks but I can tell you that a LT shock will always feel stiff on the street and better at speed in the dirt, this is how my truck is and it handles awesome at 45-50 through the whoops and rutted out desert roads.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
E-Fabber
Anthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
Anthony250's Tacoma Gallery
Heres a tip, any time you adjust the coilovers , spray lube on the threads, wieght off the shocks. Makes it way easier. And use the correct size tool , dont gnar the holes on the collar.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #6
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
OP you just got your kit, give it sometime to settle in and it should ride better.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #7

Allright thanks guys it should get a good work out this weekend. What is exactly accomplished by adjusting the collars? Less preload normally equals softer?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
The collars are more for ride height. It will obviously affect handling by changing your ride height but the overall "stiffness" isnt going to change much just by adjusting colllars. It will change a little, but that is not the method used for a softer feel. If you want a softer feel you would need to change spring rates

But as said you dont want to base the feel on your street driving. Hit some deeper stuff with speed and it should feel a lot better
Old 09-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
The collars are more for ride height. It will obviously affect handling by changing your ride height but the overall "stiffness" isnt going to change much just by adjusting colllars. It will change a little, but that is not the method used for a softer feel. If you want a softer feel you would need to change spring rates

But as said you dont want to base the feel on your street driving. Hit some deeper stuff with speed and it should feel a lot better
Thanks. I finally got out and pushed it hard on the Mojave run. The front end feels great maybe a tad too stiff but I won't change out springs until I get rid of my winch. Now I only have like 3 threads showing on the Top of my collars. If I screw it down that will increase my ride height correct? As in having more threads on top of the collar.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
yes, that will increase your ride height, but it will also make it a tad stiffer.

yeah if you tihnk iys too stiff, and you have a plate bumperand winch your going to want to go down a little bit