DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

3 link help

Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
teddygrahams is on a distinguished road
teddygrahams's Tacoma Gallery
3 link help

Hey, trying to find out some info on some axle angles. I need to know when the axle cycles does the pinion angle need to stay the same through out the cycle?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i know theres a couple people that could help....

try to PM Engage offroad, linked2002

i know both of these people have done links, 2002 is in the process of one right now.

post in the bs thread also
Old 09-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
talk to 85yota on dezert rangers
Old 10-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Lakeside623 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
Lakeside623's Tacoma Gallery
The pinion angle cannot stay the same. Its gonna go up as the rear end does..
Old 10-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
linked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
linked2002's Tacoma Gallery
the pinion angle does not always go up as the rear end does. that is completely incorrect. you want your pinion at ride height to ideally be pointing on the same plane as the output shaft on your trans. where it moves from there through the travel will tell you what is going to happen with your truck. pinion angle increase as you bump, you are building in anti-squat into the system... pinion angle dives as you go up... that is squat.... or visa versa... ive been caught in one giant brain fart all day so i could be back-ass-wards.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Check it out

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/fab-shop/145831.htm
Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #7
linked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlinked2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
^^werd! great thread right there.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
TC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linked2002 View Post
the pinion angle does not always go up as the rear end does. that is completely incorrect. you want your pinion at ride height to ideally be pointing on the same plane as the output shaft on your trans. where it moves from there through the travel will tell you what is going to happen with your truck. pinion angle increase as you bump, you are building in anti-squat into the system... pinion angle dives as you go up... that is squat.... or visa versa... ive been caught in one giant brain fart all day so i could be back-ass-wards.

only if you have a one piece driveshaft
Old 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #9

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC yota View Post
only if you have a one piece driveshaft
see and i never understood why people say that. when you have it on the same plane as the output shaft (even in a 2 piece driveshaft format, the first shaft connected to the trans is typically on this angle as well), it splits teh angle of the driveline between the front and back u joint. when you angle the pinion so that it is on the same plane as the 2nd shaft in a 2 piece set up, you are in turn putting the entire bend angle in the firs u joint only and the second u joint (since it is following the same angle as the second shaft at ride) is taking up none of that angle.

so lets say for the ease of math that the front u joint ( after the carrier bearing ) has an angle of 10 degrees on it and you set the pinion facing up the shaft. the u joint closest to the pinion now has an angle of 0 while the upper has the angle of 10. however, if you face the pinion at the same angle as the trans output shaft (like i did with my stock 2 piece shaft) the 10* angle that was in the upper is now a 5* angle at the upper and lower u joint splitting the angle between the 2 pivoting areas of the shaft.

just what ive learned while dicking with my link on the back of my truck. maybe it doesnt work that way all the time but it worked for me and im leaving it be. hahaha
Old 10-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
TC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTC yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TC yota's Tacoma Gallery
On a toyota 2 piece they don't use u-joints, its called a double cardan joint, the max operating angle on those is only like 25 degrees. Every driveshaft shop in the world will tell you to set it up with the dshaft in line with the joint, that is just how they work

see the pics in the link

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/
Old 10-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #11

Marines:
oh no no i understand what your saying for sure. and the cardan joint is just 2 individual u joints pressed into a casting. although it has less deflection, it still seemed to work out rather well with my set up. but now you have me wondering. i will go home and adjust the pinion angle and see what i get and report back.