DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Couple of valving/shock set up questions

Old 09-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Couple of valving/shock set up questions

Looking to soften up my front end while still maintaining adequate dampening. Couple of questions:

1. Will adjusting PSI on the nitrogen in my remote reservoirs affect dampening? What are you guys running PSI wise?

2. Can a tire shop that nitrogen fills tires charge a nitrogen shock?

3. As I understand it is normally above 100 PSI, where are ya'll finding pressure gauges that read that high?

4. In the process of changing out shims to adjust valving, I would have to have the shock recharged, correct?

5. I plan on replacing the plate bumper with a tube bumper, if I swap springs for ones with a lower spring rate, will have to compress the coils to get them fit on the extended coil over?

I've been spending some tire staring at my LCA's and trying to figure out how I want to fabricate a secondary shock mount in the future...
Old 09-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
I use one of these to read my pressures. it's a pump used to fill the positive and negative pressure chambers on bicycle shocks. mine reads up to 300 psi. it threads right onto the schrader valve on the reservior
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFEQ8gIwAg#
Old 09-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
this might be worth your while:
http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/dyno-day-1/
Old 09-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
this might be worth your while:
http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/dyno-day-1/
I wish I could go to that man, but I'm stationed in fly-over country. I haven't seen another LT truck in 9 months.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
"I've been spending some tire staring at my LCA's and trying to figure out how I want to fabricate a secondary shock mount in the future..."

I have talked to DMZ about doing a secondary shock mount as well on the AP kit.
It's not worth it and might not work well. Your better off buying a TC or Camburg LCA.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #6
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
I can answer your questions in the morning when I get to my office
Old 09-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
1. In a c/o or a smooth body case you are not supposed to lower the PSI within the resi. You are able to do it on a hydro bump but in a shock I have been told that it will not give you the correct flow rate within the shock.

2. Yes, and No. Some tire shops might be able to do it but most won't have the correct pressure gauge to fill them and know correctly how much PSI their at. Another thing to remember is to fill them without any load on the shock. Either take them completely off or droop them to max when filling. If not when the shock droops out it will not have the correct PSI at full extension.

3. You can order Nitrogen gauges that go up to the proper PSI above 100 PSI. Polyperformance carries Shock filling setups that have the valves, gauges and everything else.

4. Correct you will have to have it recharged after the valving change.

5. You won't have to compress them if you get the proper length spring. Find out what the length of your current springs are. There should be specs printed on the spring. Get the same length in the proper rate.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #8

So it sounds like the easiest way for me to change the compression/dampening on my front end is to drop a spring rate or two (once I remove the plate bumper), is that correct?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Cuz Stock Sucks

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
So it sounds like the easiest way for me to change the compression/dampening on my front end is to drop a spring rate or two (once I remove the plate bumper), is that correct?
Correct. But don't base it off of road feel (I'm guessing you know this) I think everyone on tacomas are running 600 lb springs then changing valving as needed. DSM can give you an idea of what specs you would want and they sell Shim stacks. I'm guessing you run Fox which will be nice on your wallet because parts for them are cheap.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #10

Of course. At high speed off road the truck handles great, but at that 15-30 mark over rocky/bumpy fireroads it's just too stiff. Out here there's more of that 15-30 then there is the 40+, so I'm wanting to shift performance a bit that way instead.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
FML
agv1700 is a jewel in the roughagv1700 is a jewel in the roughagv1700 is a jewel in the roughagv1700 is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Name: Angel
agv1700's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to agv1700
When are you looking to get rid of that bumper??? Let me know, very interested....i just saw your truck today, im at flw till tomorrow