DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Rear long travel = broken e brake fitting....

Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
IRACE87 is on a distinguished road
Name: Pat
IRACE87's Tacoma Gallery
Rear long travel = broken e brake fitting....

Well, I did search but did not found any thread with this particular issue. A few months ago I installed an All-Pro LT kit on my truck with the expedition rear leaf pack with Fox shocks and Timbren bump stops.

Last week after some good offroading I found that by brakes were braking more than usual and that after backing up and going forward the front brakes would lock up......until I gave enough gas to get going.

After looking at averything that could cause that problem I found that my parking brake cable had the brackets that is attached to the drums broken. Which could explain my problem since the self brake adjustment is probably all screwed up.

Now I'm assuming this was caused by the suspension going full travel and having the parking brake cable under tension which cause those cast brackets to break.

Has anyone had that issue before ???? And how did you fix it.....longer cable or got rid of the cables.......

Thanks

Pat
Old 09-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Lt guys get rid of the e brake
Old 09-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
The expo pack /=/ LT. LT is spring under axle or linked.

You can get a longer cable or ditch the E-brake.

One piece of advice, having run that exact same set up in the rear - ditch the Timbrens. They limit up travel way too much. I just ditched mine last week; I bought a simple set of daystar bumpstops and mounted them to the frame instead. I now have twice as much as up travel than I had with the Timbrens and it makes a world of difference.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
must have smacked it on something! there are many guys running stock or lt rear on the 2nd gens with no e-brake problems. the length of cable is fine for most the lt kits out there.maybe you had the cable routed wrong? dont know why anyone would want to get rid of the ebrake unless its a full blown race truck .
Old 09-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
IRACE87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The expo pack /=/ LT. LT is spring under axle or linked.

You can get a longer cable or ditch the E-brake.

One piece of advice, having run that exact same set up in the rear - ditch the Timbrens. They limit up travel way too much. I just ditched mine last week; I bought a simple set of daystar bumpstops and mounted them to the frame instead. I now have twice as much as up travel than I had with the Timbrens and it makes a world of difference.
The springs are installed in the stock configuration (over the axle).
Who makes longer cables that fit ?
Yes I did find that the Timbrens limit up travel quit a lot.........

Quote:
must have smacked it on something! there are many guys running stock or lt rear on the 2nd gens with no e-brake problems. the length of cable is fine for most the lt kits out there.maybe you had the cable routed wrong?
Well the cables are still routed in the stock location, I even got rid of the stock bracket that was screwed on the side of the stock springs to pevent the cables for not having enough play........anyway I could not put the stock bracket back on the All-Pro springs.

No they did not get smacked by looking at them......I should post a pic.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
Lt guys get rid of the e brake
yup.

this is my e-brake

Old 09-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
^ me too!

harbor freight e-brake
Old 09-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
IRACE87's Tacoma Gallery
Well I would have hoped that some instructions about that issue would have been included with the kit............and I'm surprised not to find other post with the same issue.

You can see on the pic that it broke at the top portion of the bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear long travel = broken e brake fitting....-p1050518-1-1-.jpg  
Old 09-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running the same setup as you for the rear (with no bumps for now) and haven't had any problems with the e-brake and mines just hanging there?!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRACE87 View Post
Well I would have hoped that some instructions about that issue would have been included with the kit............and I'm surprised not to find other post with the same issue.

You can see on the pic that it broke at the top portion of the bracket.
I would bet it snagged on something; as there are a bunch of us running that same set up and no one has had this issue.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
IRACE87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would bet it snagged on something; as there are a bunch of us running that same set up and no one has had this issue.
Well both side broke the same way and can't see how and where it would have snagged.........?????
Old 09-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Defined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shedDefined is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mike
Defined's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well both side broke the same way and can't see how and where it would have snagged.........?????

maybe from just flopping around??possibly getting hung up on something on the frame at different points of travel ? since they are not secured properly.

did you hit any water at any good speed? ive bent heatshields from hitting water too fast before
Old 09-24-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
IRACE87's Tacoma Gallery
Well....I found the problem.......CORROSION.......Look at the pictures, I removed the cables and I was wondering why the rubber piece was bulged.....I cut it open and found that most of the bracket was turned into white dust except for 2 pieces. (both cables are like that)

The truck is a 2007 with 45000 miles......never saw anything like that before.....what a piece of junk. I wrongly thought that it was the LT kit because I started having problem not long after installing the kit.......well new cables are probably pretty expensive $$$$$$$.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear long travel = broken e brake fitting....-p1050523-1-.jpg   Rear long travel = broken e brake fitting....-p1050520-1-.jpg   Rear long travel = broken e brake fitting....-p1050524-1-.jpg  
Old 09-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #15

Glad you found the problem.

It's still not an LT kit.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
IRACE87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's still not an LT kit.
Well.....it sure is at least a Longer Travel than stock, and All-Pro do state the following '' Improve your Tacoma's suspension performance and gain lift for tire clearance and long travel with.....''
Old 09-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well.....it sure is at least a Longer Travel than stock, and All-Pro do state the following '' Improve your Tacoma's suspension performance and gain lift for tire clearance and long travel with.....''
It says that but you have "The 2005+ Tacoma 3" lift springs". Those are not LT. Below are All Pro long travel leafs. You have a lift, not LT

https://www.allprooffroad.com/tech-i...u-63/bajaleafs
Old 09-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #18
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well.....it sure is at least a Longer Travel than stock, and All-Pro do state the following '' Improve your Tacoma's suspension performance and gain lift for tire clearance and longer travel with.....''
Is what it should say.

With leaf springs (when referring to Tacos) a Long Travel consists of a SUA (Spring-Under Axle) Conversion. Companies such as Defined, Giant, DMZ, & Engage offer these.

I am running the same setup as you and it no where near a long travel. It has increased uptravel by 1-2" (since I believe this leaf pack is 1" or so taller at the Center pin then stock, not sure) and maybe a few increased inches of flex.