DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Considering long travel? Read here first.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #21
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Sticky for serrr
Old 10-07-2011, 02:17 AM   #22
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up! No love for 18in shocks? :P
Old 10-07-2011, 06:57 AM   #23
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
no need for 18 inch shocks unless your mounting them straight up and down or your getting over 18 inches of travel, which doesnt really happen with leaf sprung trucks
Old 10-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #24
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Why not? Cliff and alex both run 18" shocks and are strapped right at 17"
Old 10-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #25
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
but theres no need cause you can get that travel out of 16 inch shocks.

sure you can have them, no reason not too. but you dont need them as long as you angle your 16s correctly
Old 10-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #26
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Oh sad I run 18 inch shocks :| Bigger is better! lol jk
Old 10-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #27
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
Oh sad I run 18 inch shocks :| Bigger is better! lol jk
oh im not saying they are bad by any means! just not a need ya know? the joy of having 18inch shocks is you can mount them any angle you want and still get 18 inches of travel.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #28
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
When you angle the shocks it will put a little more load on them. You would end up putting a little more valving to compensate which will create more heat. Plus you have less total oil which will also create more heat. Its not horrible by any means but if you can get 18's it is def better. Ive wondered why people choose 16's when the cost is pretty much the same.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #29
GRatt will become famous soon enough

Name: Garrett
GRatt's Tacoma Gallery
thanks this really helped, and as much as i shouldn't get a LT cause of money, i answer your last question with "Helllllllllll's Yessss!!!!" so even if i can get the front done and some sketchy rear set up cause i don't have the money ill do it.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #30
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRatt View Post
thanks this really helped, and as much as i shouldn't get a LT cause of money, i answer your last question with "Helllllllllll's Yessss!!!!" so even if i can get the front done and some sketchy rear set up cause i don't have the money ill do it.
Do the rear first
Old 10-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #31
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like I said man, if you don't have a couple extra thousand bucks ready to drop on repairs, I wouldn't do it. Going out and wheeling an LT truck with $100 to your name is begging for a painful situation.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #32
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Like I said man, if you don't have a couple extra thousand bucks ready to drop on repairs, I wouldn't do it. Going out and wheeling an LT truck with $100 to your name is begging for a painful situation.
I know what you mean. But this pretty much applies to any set up not just lt ones
Old 10-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #33
Toyota Its Like A Jeep Thing Only Better
Socalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Socalrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up
Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #34
Bookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedBookworm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Bookworm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
spoken like someone who has never ridden in an LT truck with a sketchy rear that can't keep up with the front. Also, from my limited time around desert people, shit breaks, and it costs thousands to fix sometimes. If you skate, you will fall and hurt yourself. If you wheel your truck, you will break things.

My own little business is taking off. If I get a company car it'll be a taco or an FJ............. the dream grows closer! At least I've already got an econo-box with good mileage.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #35
661prerunner has a spectacular aura about661prerunner has a spectacular aura about

661prerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I'm strarting to look in the LT kits and finding everything out that i can about building and owning a LT truck. with this post I still plan on following through

But my question is: Does anyone think that Dynamatting will help with the noise?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #36
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 661prerunner View Post
I'm strarting to look in the LT kits and finding everything out that i can about building and owning a LT truck. with this post I still plan on following through

But my question is: Does anyone think that Dynamatting will help with the noise?
Yes, it would. You should also make inner fenders for your fiberglass fenders.

That will help keep the noise out of the cab but there's nothing you can do about the road noise from the aggressive tires, the flared fenders, and the joints that are going to squeak. If you keep them cleaned and lubed (dry lithium), they will generally stay pretty quiet.

You will also be fighting all of the stock components that will rattle loose. I recently had to rebuild my entire grill support because my headlights and grill were pretty much freefloating between the hood and the bumper.

Just make sure you stay on top of keeping key bolts torqued up.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #37
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was thinking about doing this if I ever caged my truck
Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #38
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:

Don't DD a LT truck.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #39
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
lol why not?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #40
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
I do