DTFtacoma's 2006 Long Travel

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Long Travel Suspension

Notices

Can LT lifts be done in stages?

Old 10-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Greenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Greenhatter's Tacoma Gallery
Can LT lifts be done in stages?

Hey guys,

I am still trying to get up to speed on suspension knowledge. I have done a good amount of searching and reading but have a couple questions still. I realize I may get flamed for not searching enough or some such and I'm cool with that if someone is just kind enough to drop a link to the right place .

I am eyeing a 6" suspension lift in the near future but I have a sneaky suspicion that at some point I will want a LT lift. I'm not sure I can afford the entire LT treatment right now so can the LT lift be done in stages like standard 6" lift can? Or can I do LT on the front and a standard 6" lift on the back?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
LT needs to be done all at once. at least front then rear once money is saved.
You cant just piece the front together piece by piece since you're extending upper and lower arms, extending driveshafts, and getting custom valved shocks to match the arms, etc.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
wait...6" lifts can be done in stages?

DB lifts require cutting the crossmember, and if you only lift the front you'll have an epic bro lean, worthy of the flattest of bills and the monsterests of monster stickers.

All trolling aside, a lot of guys on here go LT front, with like a stock rear, or a normally lifted rear, until they can afford to go rear LT.

Or guys get all the glass and go mid travel until they can afford LT.

But yeah, do some more reading, young padawan. (I'm not LT so I'm mouthing words with my buttocks, but one of them'll chime in soon enough)
Old 10-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There is no point in wasting money on a 6 inch lift only to go LT later. Also LT isn't really a lift.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
with the front the minimum you can have to drive is the LT kit its self. 2300-2800 and 8inch stroke shocks. (1200ish)

and to off road it you really need limit straps, fiberglass, gussets ETC, whats your budget
Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Greenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenhatter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
There is no point in wasting money on a 6 inch lift only to go LT later. Also LT isn't really a lift.
That's why I'm trying to get a good handle on whether to pull the trigger now on something that can be upgraded or if I have to wait until I can do a full LT install.

Quote:
with the front the minimum you can have to drive is the LT kit its self. 2300-2800 and 8inch stroke shocks. (1200ish)
and to off road it you really need limit straps, fiberglass, gussets ETC, whats your budget
I see, my budget right now tops out around $2000. So it sounds like to do a proper LT is out of my range at the moment.

Quote:
DB lifts require cutting the crossmember, and if you only lift the front you'll have an epic bro lean, worthy of the flattest of bills and the monsterests of monster stickers.All trolling aside, a lot of guys on here go LT front, with like a stock rear, or a normally lifted rear, until they can afford to go rear LT. Or guys get all the glass and go mid travel until they can afford LT.
Right, I didn't mean keep the back stock . No bro leans! I meant what you mentioned, a normally lifted rear. I guess I am still not clear on what a mid travel is either. More reading!

Thanks for all the answers to my questions guys.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
yes there is no way you can go lt with 2000. you cant even get the extended lower and upper control arms for that. look into mid travel
Old 10-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
long travel is from being "a lift"
Old 10-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Lt is used for a prerunners form of offroad. Some terrain cannot hold up to the stock suspension. Lt and a lift are two differnt animals, if you plan on a prerunning truck Lt is a build of suspension for that, if your just looking at lifts. Not what your looking for.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
LT sucks
Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
Banned
lt is for bros
Old 10-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
precoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: corey
precoma's Tacoma Gallery
yeah LT sucks and mid travel is the worst =)
Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #16
Gonna go mid

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate all the knowledge and experience you guys offer the forum. I think I am gonna stay in the mid-travel category.

The brands that guys seem to like most are King, Icon, Fox and Procomp. Not all of those can be ordered direct from the manufacturer so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good vendor to order a kit?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
Banned
NOT PROCOMP

do not go procomp

no procomp.

for coilovers, go either king, fox, or icon.

for a upper control arm, go with total chaos, icon, or camburg.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
NOT PROCOMP

do not go procomp

no procomp.

for coilovers, go either king, fox, or icon.

for a upper control arm, go with total chaos, icon, or camburg.
Yikes ok I won't go procomp.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wheeler's offroad or down south motorsports are both good places to buy the CO's.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
If you do go LT, start with the rear.